+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Drill Press research

Drill Press research

Doing research on drill presses and wanted to get some opinions on a good drill press. I intend to use it on iron, aluminum, mild steel, maybe some stainless, plastics and wood. Doesnt have to be big name or highest dollar, just want a good one that will last a long time. Considering the dewalt one right now.
    '02 Silvy: Z71 EC Step Side 5.3L Nelson tuned
    2013 GMC Acadia: SLT1 Carbon Black
    1976 Corvette Stingray: Trying to save it, progress is slow.

^Ricky's Sweet PS Skilz
    09/21/2010 02:31 <danger_ranger83> I'm not really worried about the looks...I want it to be fast and ugly...bc no one wants to get outrun by something ugly

I've got a DeWalt drill/driver, a DeWalt right angle drill, a DeWalt circular saw, a DeWalt recip saw, a DeWalt jig saw, and a DeWalt compressor. I've owned a DeWalt miter saw, as well as other DeWalt products.

(trying to make a point by saying 'DeWalt' so often)

DeWalt's tools are reliable, precise (no slop in parts), and are typically at, or right at, the top as far as features (highest RPM, BPM, SPM, etc.). For the price, I think they're about the best bang for the buck.

...That being said, I didn't think DeWalt had a drill press out other than their magnetic one...?

I used large ones when my FIL still had his shop. I'm not sure my experience would help. We had a Jet that was tits. I looked at their site but only found cheap presses at less than $1000.

I guess I just ASS-U-ME-D that Dewalt made one thinking that I had seen one at lowe's. My buddy has the Ryobi one and I am hesitant to go with it. So, any other brands that may get the job done.

^Ricky's Sweet PS Skilz
    09/21/2010 02:31 <danger_ranger83> I'm not really worried about the looks...I want it to be fast and ugly...bc no one wants to get outrun by something ugly

Never had a drill press from them, but every one of the Craftsmen cordless and corded drills I've had over the years worked very well. Reliable as hell, always as strong or stronger than the competition, solid construction, and the features were pretty well thought out. Used to use Dewalt, but when two of them burned out within a year of use I moved on. The newer Dewalts seem much better than before tho

The Ridgid stuff is pretty decent. I guess it depends on how much you'll be using it. Delta makes a really nice one too.

Then again, some of the old presses are extremely well made and very heavy duty. Might be worth looking on Craigslist and finding one.

Also, Grizzly makes some really nice shop-grade tools.

Oh...and I'd agree with checking out Craftsman.

Be sure to look at chuck capacity and stroke.
    Last edited by DamnYankee; 09-27-2011 at 10:21 PM.

Craftsman is definitely on the list. Outside of that, i dont know much about the other companies which is why im asking lol. So I will look up Delta, Grizzly, Ridgid, Milwaukee(sure why not), and.......

^Ricky's Sweet PS Skilz

Milwaukee is similar to DeWalt - they only offer a magnetic benchtop version ($$$).

Are you wanting a bench top or floor model?

I have a Rigid DP1550. This is a very good drill press for the money.
    http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053

Looking for a bench top preferably.
    Found this Delta
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CHkQ8gIwAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by foggy View Post
    I have a Rigid DP1550. This is a very good drill press for the money.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053
    Too expense but its a 15" stroke so maybe their 10" is cheaper.

^Ricky's Sweet PS Skilz

+ Reply to Thread