+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tailgate noise...

Tailgate noise...

I hate rattles and noises when driving.

There are two things that are annoying with the Silverado tailgates:

1.) The stock location of the latch posts typically leaves enough slack so that you can move the tailgate back and forth (toward and away from the cab). This has been addressed before and is kind of a no-brainer, but if you remove the taillights, loosen the bolts holding the latch posts on, and move them forward (toward the cab) as far as they will go, this will typically pull the tailgate far enough ahead when you close it, that it eliminates the back and forth movement.

2.) The passengers side 'pivot' at the bottom of the tailgate has enough of a gap that it allows the tailgate to move up and down. You can physically lift on that side of the tailgate to see what I'm talking about. So that, coupled with the above issue makes for a lot of racket coming from the back of the truck when you hit bumps and whatnot. I had one of the very large zip ties (3/8" wide or so) and tightened it around the pivot post. It took some shoving to get the pivot pocket to slide over the pivot post due to the thickness of the zip tie, but it went. There are a couple of benefits to this: not only does it eliminate the tailgate movement but it also adds some friction when opening the tailgate...not exactly Tailgate Assist, but close.

Anyway, I have zero movement in my tailgate now. The zip tie will break over time I'm sure, but it should last for quite a while and will be an easy fix when it does break. Oh, and buy a black one so it blends better than the white one I used. It'd also be a good idea to throw some grease on the zip tie. Might extend it's life some.
    Last edited by DamnYankee; 09-13-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Good info Moze. My tailgate has pretty much always been noisy. When I get home tonight...well it will probably be tomorrow since I have class tonight....Im gonna see if these adjustments make as much of a difference as yours.
    T-RAV
    99 GMC | 5.3 | Skinny White Guy Tuned

Do you have bionic ears im replacing all the rubber on my truck cus im tired if the squeeking, but the tailgate rattling guess ivenever heard it before.
    THEY CALL ME G.

AZRAEL
    01 GMC REG CAB BUILDING
    06 SILVERADO SS 80E 3200 YANK LS3 TOP, DD
    2013 POLARIS RANGER CREW LE EPS

The difference between winning and losing, is having a 2nd stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by A PATRIOT View Post
    "MOLON LABE"

Probably all of the coats of paint on yours filled in all the trouble spots.

2001 GMC Sierra SL ECSB - Project
    2012 Honda Civic Si - DD
    2009 GMC Sierra SLT ECSB - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by DamnYankee View Post
    Probably all of the coats of paint on yours filled in all the trouble spots.
    yea never thought of that
    THEY CALL ME G.

AZRAEL
    01 GMC REG CAB BUILDING

"MOLON LABE"

Weld it shut or get a louder stereo!
    2006 Superior Blue Trailblazer SS AWD, Stock as a rock

Sold: 2002 GMC Sportside Denali front end with a 2002 LS1, FLT level 5, Yank 2600, Trick Turbo, T76, Nelson intercooler, 60LB injectors, Warbro fuel pump, Eaton locker, Magnaflow, 3.42, Nelson Performance Tuning (speed density).

Sold: 1981 GMC LB RC 1500 2002 4.8L 4L60E 12 bolt 3.73 Richmond Lock Right AC PS Nelson Performance tuning

You mentioned g having too much paint so its held tight...maybe you can use ur left over bed liner and roll some in the jams of the bed so the tailgate is tight when shut too...

Quote Originally Posted by GMCwantsLS1 View Post
    Weld it shut or get a louder stereo!
    Or get rid of the old man exhaust, buddy Chris heard me coming literally three miles away from the house I was at WOT and on both stages but still
    THEY CALL ME G.

AZRAEL
    01 GMC REG CAB BUILDING

"MOLON LABE"

Quote Originally Posted by LamboDoNoMo View Post
    Or get rid of the old man exhaust, buddy Chris heard me coming literally three miles away from the house I was at WOT and on both stages but still
    Could probably hear your machine gun for 10+ miles...
    cjriojas:if you're weather man is a 5 gallon bucket, YOUUUUUUUUUUU might be a redneck
    danger_ranger83: I see now why it cost so much to get a harness made... FML
    2boostedSilverado: I like Casey's rear end, I want to chat with him about it

+ Reply to Thread