+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Throwing P0496

It does say right in the conditions for running the DTC that the tank pressure has to decrease to less than -11 inH2O . With the cap loose, the tank pressure would be ambient barometric pressure which on a standard day is 29.92 inHg or around 400 inH2O. According to that the 4096 DTC should never set with the gas cap loose.

Quote Originally Posted by PitchBlackC3 View Post
    It does say right in the conditions for running the DTC that the tank pressure has to decrease to less than -11 inH2O . With the cap loose, the tank pressure would be ambient barometric pressure which on a standard day is 29.92 inHg or around 400 inH2O. According to that the 4096 DTC should never set with the gas cap loose.
    Glad someone else noticed.

1969 Chevy RCLB C10 350/TH400 SOLD
    2007 Chevy RCSB 4.8 4x4 LS SOLD
    2008 Chevy RCSB 5.3 4x4 LT SOLD
    2010 Chevy CCSB 6.2 4x4 LT SOLD
    2005 GMC CCLB DRW 6.6 Duramax 4x4 191,000 and counting
    2013 FORD CCSB F350 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by remauto1187 View Post
    Hope this helps
    Yes, it does.

This DTC tests for undesired intake manifold vacuum flow to the evaporative emission (EVAP) system.

If vacuum in the EVAP system is more than a predetermined value within a predetermined time, this DTC sets.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
    A continuous open purge flow condition is detected during the diagnostic test.
    The fuel tank pressure decreases to less than -11 inches H2O.
    So we see you told all what we have been saying, thanks for that.

I guess a loose or missing gas cap would NEVER cause the in tank pressure sensor to get a reading of atmospheric pressure huh? Do i really have to goto a helm manual and scan a photo of all causes/fixes in the factory troubleshooting chart just to show you that you are talking out of your a$$? You 2 do nothing but TRY to talk down to others on this forum and anytime someone says anything contrary to what you say they are automatically wrong. And then the icing on the cake you attack new guys that are trying to learn.
    That like i said makes you stuck with the personality of concrete and the manner of a 90yr old bitter old man.

Imagine that....you 2 are from texas and oklahoma. So much for hospitality and manners of the south.
    A loose cap would do that. Show me where it says that condition causes this code. Helm manual? LOL

I am GM World Class Certified in 10 areas when only eight are required as well as ASE Master with L1 Advanced Engine Performance, A9 Diesel Engine Performance, and also have a Body/Mechanical Certification. I use the GM info....Helm can suck it LOL. I didn't attack anyone but you. I actually helped the OP until you started posting stuff that is incorrect....so much so you prove the alternate argument. LMAO what a dumbass.

Quote Originally Posted by pl4yboy View Post
    Lmao.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by PitchBlackC3 View Post
    YESSSS! Thanks. That "-" in front of the number means negative, right? That means VACUUM which couldn't happen with a loose cap.

Now does someone wanna tell me how bad gas causes this code?

Glad someone else noticed.
    HAHAHA me too. No one else even cared to look into it with exception of the dude that proved himself wrong again.

Quote Originally Posted by GasGuzzler View Post
    Helm manual? LOL

I am GM World Class Certified in 10 areas when only eight are required as well as ASE Master with L1 Advanced Engine Performance, A9 Diesel Engine Performance, and also have a Body/Mechanical Certification. I use the GM info....Helm can suck it LOL. I didn't attack anyone but you. I actually helped the OP until you started posting stuff that is incorrect....so much so you prove the alternate argument.

That "-" in front of the number means negative, right? That means VACUUM which couldn't happen with a loose cap.
    PM sent.
    "ALisSa1 Silverado"
    1990 Chevrolet RCSB 2002 Chevrolet Camaro LS1/4L60E
    Scrimpin Ain't Easy
    ( . Y . )

PM answered. :grin:

Topic died. Did OP replace purge valve?

Nathan, this is what happens every time someone calls remauto out. He disappears for a month or so until he thinks it's settled. Then he comes back to get his "I just got reemed in the butthole for my false information" fix.

Btw, check on that stuff for me yet?
    Last edited by pl4yboy; 09-30-2011 at 02:50 PM.

1969 Chevy RCLB C10 350/TH400 SOLD
    2007 Chevy RCSB 4.8 4x4 LS SOLD
    2008 Chevy RCSB 5.3 4x4 LT SOLD
    2010 Chevy CCSB 6.2 4x4 LT SOLD
    2005 GMC CCLB DRW 6.6 Duramax 4x4 191,000 and counting
    2013 FORD CCSB F350 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4

Just in case anyone was interested I have some really awesome information on how new gen EVAP systems work. Mostly Toyota related but still a really good read. Explains it very well an what the government standards are.
    99' Silverado RCSB Z71: 5.7L Iron LS1, 11.2:1, Custom EPS Cam, Ported 862's,Ported TB, E-Bay Cold Air, E-Bay Long Tubes, Dynomax X-Pipe Exhaust, Electric Fans, Innovative LC-1, Self Built 4L60E, Circle D Pro Single Disc, 4:10 ValueTrac

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7887&dateline=1270435  715

Greg, this is what happens every time someone calls remauto out. He disappears for a month or so until he thinks it's settled. Then he comes back to get his "I just got reemed in the butthole for my false information" fix.

Btw, check on that stuff for me yet?
    Dude.....that NATHAN. Thats like the 3rd post you have called him Greg.
    T-RAV
    99 GMC | 5.3 | Skinny White Guy Tuned

Quote Originally Posted by GasGuzzler View Post
    Topic died. Did OP replace purge valve?
    Didn't replace anything... went get gas at a different station and the code went away..
    Last edited by 04SilverBullet; 09-30-2011 at 09:29 PM.
    Run your motor, not your mouth..

04 ECSB 5.3 Sierra: 14.6@95
    Pacesetter Headers, Intake, Tune

+ Reply to Thread