+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dead on arrival.........

Dead on arrival.........

Well went to pull out this morning in the fiance's truck. Back out of the garage go up the driveway and start to pull out on the road. That's when the trouble starts. The truck had been ticking for awhile which quieted down after switching to synthetic oil. A few day's ago it started up again and went into super turbo mode as I pulled out. It got so loud and problematic that I shut it down. I allowed it to sit a minute and tried to start it. Got nothing at all. No clicking or anything. SES light is on not hot oil pressure fine voltage is fine lights come on just no response when I hit the ignition. Thoughts anyone? I will pull the codes and the valve covers tomorrow pending its not raining.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

Well the last owner of the truck (my mother in law) says the starter was on its last leg over a year ago when they pulled it and tested it. So that is probably bad. More info when I get off of work.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

if it's not the starter, double check the connections on the battery.

i see it all the time in the shop. everything powers up and works but the car won't start...wiggle the battery cables a little and it fires right up.
    2000 ECSB 5.3L with K&N CAI, true duals with flowmaster 40s, and 200k miles!

I know someone this just happened too... no wait lol... jk good luck keep me posted dude!
    Built 2 Run! 6XX HP/ 6XX TQ

Quote Originally Posted by NAREJEPP View Post
    if it's not the starter, double check the connections on the battery.

i see it all the time in the shop. everything powers up and works but the car won't start...wiggle the battery cables a little and it fires right up.
    That's what I was telling him yesterday...happened to my mom last week...lights,radio, and everything would come on inside, but wouldn't turn at all. Wiggled the battery cable and it was somewhat loose. Tightened it down a little more and it fired right up.

I personally don't think the two are related unless it threw a rod and froze the crank. But that would make a much more distinct sound than the normal lifter ticking.
    T-RAV
    99 GMC | 5.3 | Skinny White Guy Tuned

Okay first thing first I will check the battery cable. Second scan for codes. Then I will check the starter and pull the valve covers. I almost called in sick to work today to check this out, but decided to go to work instead. I guess my Financial aid check might buy a 5.3 if worse comes to worse. That or bye bye sierra hello newer truck

Leave the valve covers alone. What are you going to find in there other than a fubar'd rocker or pushrod? Either of those would make themselves much more noticeable than a little noise. You have lifter tick or maybe a little piston slap. Replace the starter, move on. Don't want to be like other members and be pulling out pistons chasing down a small backfire. (read: FAIL)
    Last edited by 559 2TD; 08-01-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Believe me I won't start looking at motor issues until all the accessories etc have been checked.

Well ran a scan tool and nothing took the battery in its good checked grounds and conections nothing going wrong at this point..... gonna get the starter and the rest of the electrical system checked at orreilies tomorrow. Stupid thing doesn't even try to turn over no clicking nothing but I can hear what I believe is fuel injectors I'm guessing....

Quote Originally Posted by kerrige View Post
    Well went to pull out this morning in the fiance's truck. Back out of the garage go up the driveway and start to pull out on the road. That's when the trouble starts. The truck had been ticking for awhile which quieted down after switching to synthetic oil. A few day's ago it started up again and went into super turbo mode as I pulled out. It got so loud and problematic that I shut it down. I allowed it to sit a minute and tried to start it. Got nothing at all. No clicking or anything. SES light is on, not hot, oil pressure fine, voltage is fine, lights come on just no response when I hit the ignition. Thoughts anyone? I will pull the codes and the valve covers tomorrow pending its not raining.
    Quote Originally Posted by kerrige View Post
    Well, ran a scan tool and nothing, took the battery in, its good. checked grounds and conections, nothing going wrong at this point..... gonna get the starter and the rest of the electrical system checked at orreilies tomorrow. Stupid thing doesn't even try to turn over, no clicking, nothing but I can hear what I believe is fuel injectors, I'm guessing....
    Jesus Christ, man! Use some freakin punctuation!
    '02 Silvy: Z71 EC Step Side 5.3L Nelson tuned
    2013 GMC Acadia: SLT1 Carbon Black
    1976 Corvette Stingray: Trying to save it, progress is slow.

^Ricky's Sweet PS Skilz
    09/21/2010 02:31 <danger_ranger83> I'm not really worried about the looks...I want it to be fast and ugly...bc no one wants to get outrun by something ugly

+ Reply to Thread