+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: need advice for top end rebuild

Okay basically the issue with a cam is often it moves the torque curve up in the rpm range. Now a stock TC with lock up at about 1800rpm but a higher stall doesn't lock up until whatever range you get it stalled to meaning your in the power right off the bat instead of the lag that you may notice after a shift or off the line. I would say a 2600 stall is a little small but probably great for you application because the 300mm stall from Circle D will allow you to tow and give you a little more performance. The 278mm will allow for a higher stall rpm about 2800-3200 which will get you more into your power, but only allows you to tow about 4000lbs. I would recommend a trans cooler either way. Just keeps your tranny happier and lasting longer. The trucool 40k is like 180$ and very much worth it. Lots of guys like theirs a lot and it is good extra insurance. You are going to see extra wear, but with 200k its going out sooner or later and a built trans will be a great investment when the time comes. You should be okay for awhile no guarantees.

A tune from nelson is $300 which is about the going rate and he does good work also one day later down the road you could make a road trip and get a live tune in SA from him. Definitely a good choice working with him.

A good lifter to use are the LS7 lifters.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

Some of these things you could also do a little bit at a time so you don't have to swallow the whole thing all at once. You could get a corvette servo, tranny cooler, and a NP tune first (since re-tunes are free and you pay shipping). Start getting the other parts a little at a time looking for good deals then do the cam swap and/or torque converter when you have got everything together and have time to decide exactly what combo you want. Also would allow you to save for some of the things you may want like a built trans. Just my 2 cents.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

Quote Originally Posted by kerrige View Post
    Some of these things you could also do a little bit at a time so you don't have to swallow the whole thing all at once. You could get a corvette servo, tranny cooler, and a NP tune first (since re-tunes are free and you pay shipping). Start getting the other parts a little at a time looking for good deals then do the cam swap and/or torque converter when you have got everything together and have time to decide exactly what combo you want. Also would allow you to save for some of the things you may want like a built trans. Just my 2 cents.
    this is what i'm thinking. i was doing some more reading earlier, and i think that i am going to wait til i can get a performabuilt or comparable transmission in there. again, thanks for all the help.
    i'm gonna definitely do my research and make sure that everything is the way i want it before i commit to anything. i may even just go ahead with a new(er) 5.3 or 6.0 swap. something i wouldn't be afraid to start packing on the power later down the road.

i like your idea about to trans cooler, servo, and tune first though. even with new engine and tranny, all of that can be used again.

thanks
    2000 ECSB 5.3L with K&N CAI, true duals with flowmaster 40s, and 200k miles!

Might want to think about an 80e swap especially if you do a lot of towing. For about 2k you could have yourself a LQ4 and 80e that will give you power and reliability. Won't have to worry about an 80e dying on you until you really up the power
    This is an addiction and it can really get outta hand fast

Might want to think about an 80e swap especially if you do a lot of towing. For about 2k you could have yourself a LQ4 and 80e that will give you power and reliability. Won't have to worry about an 80e dying on you until you really up the power
    This is an addiction and it can really get outta hand fast
    just curious, if i was to look around for a 6.0 and 80e, what's the best way to do it? i think most people just get them out of yards, but my dad has used them before and says its kinda a gamble on whether or not you get a good set. is there some way to shop for them to know your getting a decent motor, or is there a specific type of junkyard to look at or what?

Lots of people with good luck on LKQ also look around on the forums and of course junkyards are a good place but your going to want to try and use ones which have a guarantee on their parts. These motors are pretty solid though you shouldn't have to roll the dice too bad. Depends on what you can find, a few years ago it was a lot easier, but now it is such a popular swap that these motors are a little more difficult to find and have a higher price tag. You shouldn't pay more than 2k for the combo as long as the miles aren't super low. Also try and get a 2001 or newer if you can due to the fact that the older models had a longer crank issue.

Lots of people with good luck on LKQ also look around on the forums and of course junkyards are a good place but your going to want to try and use ones which have a guarantee on their parts. These motors are pretty solid though you shouldn't have to roll the dice too bad. Depends on what you can find, a few years ago it was a lot easier, but now it is such a popular swap that these motors are a little more difficult to find and have a higher price tag. You shouldn't pay more than 2k for the combo as long as the miles aren't super low. Also try and get a 2001 or newer if you can due to the fact that the older models had a longer crank issue.
    ok, thanks for the heads up. i figure if i can save my extra dough through the end of the year, i should be good to start a late winter project

i'll definitely be asking more questions, and doing my homework in the mean time.

+ Reply to Thread