+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: need advice for top end rebuild

need advice for top end rebuild

my 5.3 has been making some wicked valvetrain noise for quite a while now. i also notice that over the past year or so, the truck just doesn't seem to have the power that it used to have.
    i was thinking about pulling the heads and getting them cleaned up, then go back together with all new parts (lifters, springs, etc.)

am i wrong in thinking that this will make a difference? with 200k on the engine, i think that it is just getting worn out. i use it to tow and do grunt work like that quite often.
    2000 ECSB 5.3L with K&N CAI, true duals with flowmaster 40s, and 200k miles!

anybody?

For the time and money you are about to spend, just buy another low mileage 5.3 block. Literally just swap your stuff over to it, and then run that. Those things are a dime a dozen
    1951 3100
    1984 C10

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    For the time and money you are about to spend, just buy another low mileage 5.3 block. Literally just swap your stuff over to it, and then run that. Those things are a dime a dozen
    x2
    single digit street truck

for build info

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...cs-garage.html

The best advice I have ever heard:... Only take B( . Y . )ST advice from someone that is CURRENTLY running a turbo setup close to, or bigger than what you want......

I vote total build up..... Cam, heads, and all the needed stuff
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

x3 on newer motor...why put heads, cam etc on a 200k mile motor? thats just gonna put more stress on the parts that are already worn out
    2008 GMC Sierra SLE....370ci LY6 with some goodies SOLD
    1995 C2500- LS1 swap with a mp112
    build thread- http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...-ls1-swap.html

Quote Originally Posted by chvy=power View Post
    x3 on newer motor...why put heads, cam etc on a 200k mile motor? thats just gonna put more stress on the parts that are already worn out
    Thats why you replace the parts that are wearing the most...I have 248k on mine. Just did a cam swap at the end of the year. Also swapped lifters, springs, pushrods, timing chain, and oil pump. The cylinder walls still had FACTORY CROSS HATCHING on them after 235k+ miles. These motors will last forever if you take care of them. Ill be adding a new set of heads as soon as I can to this thing too.

I guess its up to each person....there are a lot of people out there that will say its dumb to do it, get a new motor and so on. But at the same time there is no reason why you cant do it.
    T-RAV
    99 GMC | 5.3 | Skinny White Guy Tuned

Quote Originally Posted by chvy=power View Post
    Guess it depends on how worn it is.... Like trav stated his truck has way over 200k miles the bottom end is prolly fine replacing the top end will most likely do the trick. I wouldn't have recommended less than replacing all the worn stuff. If he is going to pull the whole motor might as well swap in a 6.0 80e combo. I am sure his tranny isn't in the best of shape either.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

low mileage 5.3 bare long block= apprx $300 maybe more maybe less... like ducky said they are a dime a dozen. That would be the way i would go just my .02
    2008 GMC Sierra SLE....370ci LY6 with some goodies SOLD
    1995 C2500- LS1 swap with a mp112
    build thread- http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...-ls1-swap.html

well i haven't planned on pulling the motor completely. i have a connection through my dad's shop that can get me good machine work and clean up on the heads for cheap, which is why i'm thinking on going this route. planned on keeping the cam in there too, so basically just the heads.
    i recently pulled the oil pan and front cover and replaced the oil pump, timing chain, oil pan gasket, etc. and could see some of the cylinder walls up through the bottom, and what i could see still had factory cross hatching. not to mention when i'm cruising i still have well over 60psi oil pressure (idle never goes below 40) even with this 100+ degree weather we've had. this was the case with the old oil pump too.

this all leads me to believe that overall the motor is still in good shape.
    tranny is untouched factory 4l60e. so i don't really want to go very far over factory level performance.

if this is what i do, what do i need to replace exactly. (sorry, i don't know alot about heads/valvetrains) i'm assuming lifters, pushrods, valve springs for sure. what about the valves themselves? or the rocker arms?

+ Reply to Thread