+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Help!!backfire problem

IMO, compression and leakdown should have been the first things done...

Quote Originally Posted by CHEVROLADE View Post
    yea it still backfires in park...i even moved the maf right in front of the tb....the back fire is out the intake ...can hear it clear out the cold air.loud .....

if any of u can break me down a compression test procedure for the ls1s..ill do it right now and get some readings...appreciate all of yall tips and info..
    get a hold of peewee he knows how to fix it.

i just did the compression test

90 --- 165
    155 --- 180
    180 --- 180
    180 --- 180
    ^^
    FRONT OF ENGINE
    Last edited by CHEVROLADE; 07-22-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Ouch!!!! If you have access to compressed air then do a quick check and see what the problem is. Take the rockers off the three problem cylinders and hook the air up to each one. You will be able to hear where the problem is. Either leaking from exhaust, intake, or crankcase. Number 8 is definately hurt.

Looks like the #8 ringland got lifted and particles probably got hung on the valves on #6 and #7.

ok cool,i will do that in the morning for sure im tearing into it...this is frustrating
    funny how its not running 100% but still pulled a new 5.0 stang on my 22s haha

take the advice from Jon hes more then likely right, which valves you running? if they are the stock l92 valves ( truck ) you more then likely floated one and hit the piston, there not designed for high rpms, you need the ls3 valves the hollow stem and sodium filled then again id go with ferrea valves
    Simple: 408 on steroids!
    single digits coming soon!

head gasket....if you look at the reading 6 and 8 are low. take a look at the gasket when you pull the heads and see is there was any signs that it was leaking between the two cylinders

your back firing is you trying to fire coolant!!!! i told you to show your plugs and look carefully for a coolant ring on them.
    2002 Lightning - GT headed 5.5Litre w/ Twin 7665s
    2002 Silverado - 427Lsx w/ Twin gt4202s
    2010 Silverado crewcab Z71 - 5.3litre w/ procharger
    2000 Wrangler - 5.3litre with some stance
    2014 Xsport- 3.5 Eco boost
    412 Motorsports

it ain't that I'm too big to listen to the rumors, It's just that I'm too damn big to pay attention to 'em..That's the difference

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    head gasket....if you look at the reading 6 and 8 are low. take a look at the gasket when you pull the heads and see is there was any signs that it was leaking between the two cylinders

your back firing is you trying to fire coolant!!!! i told you to show your plugs and look carefully for a coolant ring on them.

yeah it would have been good to see the plugs, to see if their were a coolant splatter or ring, but oh well im sure we'll hear something soon!

good luck zach!
    Simple: 408 on steroids!
    single digits coming soon!

these the ones i need? are they a direct swap? http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc..._Code=12569427 i cant find the exhaust valves...i will pull the heads soon,while there off ill do the valve upgrade..if its a piston ,engine will get pulled...shoot a complete ls3 head is only 375.00

+ Reply to Thread