+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Converting 86 k10 to an 04 silverado

That is a lot of information. I have a 1994 GMC Sierra SLE 2500 3/4 ton 4X4 pickup. This is a little newer than yours but feel as if there are some similarities, i.e. clearance issues with the exhaust and the transfer case.

I am contemplating the same switch, an LS1 for my 350 TBI. I am looking to improve the fuel economy and the reliability of my daily driver. I am really new to this idea as I just happened to park next to a truck today that was about the same year as mine and got to talking with him about the LS1 swap. There seems to be a tremendous amount of information on the web and not sure where I should start. I hear there are many companies that offer simple conversion kits, i.e. engine mounts, wiring harness, fuel issues, exhaust issues, and don't forget the ever important electronics.

So the information that I have gathered so far is that this is relatively simple given the fact that none of this is to be taken lightly, this is a major swap.

The area that concerns me most is the electrical. The match up of the speedometer, the transmission wiring, the o2 sensors, the fuel gauge, the water temp gauge, etc..... Is this all dealt with in the conversion wiring kit made for the swap? How much else do you have to change to make all this compatible with the older technology? Are the dash gauges so different that there needs to be some major changes.

Sorry for the bad organization of this post but as I said I am new to this idea. Until now I was just considering on another 350 TBI model. But have been concerned because I am wanting the better fuel mileage and the better technology of the newer engines. And don't want to shell out a lot of money for a newer truck. My current truck is somewhat sound except for the 190K on the odometer.

Thanks for any help to start the ball rolling.

I did the TBI swap about this time last year. It wasn't bad, but it left a lot to be desired. Compared to the LS, we'll, there is none. The LS is a whole other engine in itself. There is a lot of info out there, so its sort of hard to disect exactly whats what, I get that. Best advice I can give is to take lots of time to research and make a list. Find someone else who has done somethings similar. You mentioned somebody you met who did it; I'd get their phone number and have them over for beer. They'll likely feed you all the info you need first hand in 15 minutes, vs 7 days of internet searching.

Electrical is a bit a of speciality. Those harness I sent out come back as a standalone harness. It allows the engine to run with 3 wires, and thats it. It requires LS engine sensors (Like MAF, O2's, cam sensor, etc) that are/should be part of the engine to run it properly. However gauge info you're on you're own. The LS computers do have some outputs, like an electric speed output, tach signal, etc. You'd have to research, but I believe there isn't much to make you're stock gauge work with the LS stuff. For mine, I had to wire in a resistor for my aftermarket tach to work. My speedo is cable driven, so that didn't change. Still having issues finding a temp sensor that fits. Sort of its own little problems. But if the engine runs, other stuff is just details.

+ Reply to Thread