+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Converting 86 k10 to an 04 silverado

Post Converting 86 k10 to an 04 silverado

Greetings from the new Guy.

Been an active follower of the LSX stuff now for quite some time. Always a lurker, however I've taken the next step and have finally begun the process of an LSX conversion.

Have been looking at an LSX swap into a second gen camaro now for quite some time. However, there is a lot of swapping of parts required to make these fit in the low hooded cars. (special low intake, different accessories, etc). I plan on swapping the car over eventually, but since I don't have any actual experience doing any of these conversions, I thought I'd make my first one extremely easy, and convert my daily driver truck to LSX technology.

1986 GMC K10 (pictures to follow). Originally equipped with your standard 350, 4 speed setup. Rides like a brick sh*t house, but its a real work truck, and has several thousand kilo's under its belt.

What I bought - A wrecked 2004 silverado with a 5.3 (VIN T). I removed everything from it in my driveway, tank, engine, wiring, etc.

I plan on mating the 5.3 to my current 4 speed trans in the truck (since gear ratio is perfect, no OD required). I know of the .400 thicker flywheel I must purchase. I know the bellhousing bolts up less one bolt.

I have a tbi tank in the truck with the low pressure (15psi) pump that I plan on taking out, to put in place a walbro pump. The truck was also a single fuel line, so I plan on the vette regular. Still mistified on the plumbing though;really don't want to run rubber hose if I can avoid it.

Wiring will be outsourced to mod the original wiring harness. Already running electric fans, expense spared.

Plan on using holley mounts to keep the trans located in the stock location. This is important so the driveshafts will not need to be modified.

My one hurdle, which I can't find a sticky on, is the exhaust. When I removed the engine from the 04 silverado, I kept the manifolds, y pipe, and full exhaust. While I don't want to use the muffler/tailpipe, I would like to use the manifolds and Y pipe (with converter on both sides intergrated). From what I can tell, to do so would be a very tight fit. I'm a little wary if even the manifolds will fit.

Anyone with experience in the 4by's trucks done this? Does the frame require clearancing? I really don't want headers (just another added expense). Using the stock exhaust would save a lot of fitting and cost, plus it'll keep me emissions legal. I've got no crossmembers to worry about since the engine x-member is at the front of the engine, and tranny x-member is behind the trans, under the x-fer case. Any info would be great. I'll be posting pictures when I get home.

Do you even have to worry about emissions in Sioux Lookout? Nowhere even close to Ottawa or Toronto, besides it's an 86. No need for a test. And I doubt any MTO officer will even look at it. I think f-body manifolds will clear, and with the truck manifolds it's just a tiny little frame notch.
    2006 Silverado
    Little Black Bitch

Your right, there are no emissions up here. Never has been, and no one would likely care. However I do have ambitions to eventually move farther south, where this type of thing would come into effect. I know the truck is an 86, and installing a newer engine may change the requirements, but I figure it'll be less hassle if its properly installed already, rather than arguing when it has to be done.

Glad to hear the truck manifolds fit. I don't mind frame notching. If the manifolds fit, then the y pipe should as well I'm assuming. Thanks for the input.

88 and older don't require an e-test. It just needs to have all the original powertrain's emissions equipment. Meaning your truck will never have a tailpipe sniffer test, it will have to have all the emissions equipment the donor truck came with. Which is actually probably less than the '86 came with. I try to keep up on the emissions bs and how to tip-toe around so if you got any concerns send me a PM. I'm about an hour north of T.O so I'm stuck with the smog Nazi's.
    2006 Silverado
    Little Black Bitch

Thanks for the input. Have done some reading, and it doesn't seem to complicated in terms of emissions. What I got out of recent reading, is that if your vehicle is now equipped with an engine that was not offered from the factory for that year (or series of years), that it is considered a 'hotrod' and falls under different emission standards. That part is debateable, however the general consensus is that it has to meet 1980 standards, which any smooth running LS engine would do.

Now for pictures. I know its no fun to just 'read' a thread, so here we go.
    Attached Images

Will be sending the wiring harness and computer out in the middle of july to have it chopped up and computer reflashed. Its also a drive by wire system, so I'll be gaining cruise control as a side benefit.

These guys will be doing my wiring work. Prices are reasonable and have seen multiple good reviews.
    http://www.lsx-harness.com/

wow, that is a good deal on the harness. on the manifolds i noticed the newer ones without EGR clear the frame rails, but the flange on the passenger side needs one ear cut off

Yes, they do offer a good service. For 325, your wiring needs are taken care of, computer reflashed, and everything is plug and play, ready to go. Looking foward to it.

Truck does not have EGR luckily, since its drive by wire. Good to know the manifolds will fit. May have some issues with the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder and line, but I should be able to work something out I hope. I'll be clearancing the frame to fit the passenger side manifold then to allow proper fitment.

you dont need to cut the frame if you cut one of the exhaust flanges off, and tap a different hole to mount your own stud to thats what i did

Question for fuel pump

Since I already have a tbi tank and fuel sending unit, is swapping in a high pressure pump as simple as removing tbi pump, then attaching a short peice of rubber hose from the new pump to the old sending unit inside the tank? Haven't really looked how the tbi pumps are fashioned to be honest;assuming they are mounted via rubber hose to the hard portion of the sender. How are they attached to the sender (from factory)? Special clamps, or will hose clamps work fine?

Since I'll be running probably some high pressure rubber line, how long (lifespan) can I expect the rubber line to last? Assuming that its not chaffing or exposed to sunlight? I really don't want to pull the box to swap in new lines every 2 years. Any other solutions other than rubber?
    I do have the factory fuel line from the silverado. Hope to use some/if not all of it and mounting inside my frame rails. Main reason is to keep the factory fuel connector at the end which connected to the intake manifold/fuel rail. Hoping the other end will fit the factory end of the vette filter regulator.

Did I mention I hate plumbing?

+ Reply to Thread