+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Converting 86 k10 to an 04 silverado

Tank Selector Unit

I know that there is a high and low pressure unit availible for these older trucks. For upgrading to intank pumps, I understand the high pressure TSU must be used.

I am however considering using an inline Walbro 255 pump mounted on the frame rail, connected directly to a vette filter/regulator. I like the idea of having the pump accessible in case of failure without having to drop a tank, and from what I read, the new inlines are almost as quite as the in tanks.

Now in doing so, the return line would be plumbed back through the TSU. Would there be any pressure whatsoever in the return line that might effect a low pressure tank selector unit? I figure there may be some, since the supply line is 3/8ths, and return is only 5/16ths. But since there is no resistance in the tank, perhaps there would be no pressure buildup in the return. I dunno, thoughts?

Have now got the destined 5.3 up and running. Click for video.

Runs well. Selling of remaining parts from wreck to help pay for new flywheel, pump and motor mounts. More documentation will take place when the conversion begins. I have done a lot of careful measuring. I was hoping to use the factory y-pipe, however I believe it would be extremely tight fit, if it even fit at all. Will be running factory manifolds coupled to a custom exhaust.

Still unsure of the fuel pump. Will be using the corvette regulator, however I'm not convinced where I should put the fuel pump, intake tank, or inline? I like inline, since if it failed, it would be easy to change. However intake pumps hardly fail, and I have two tanks, therefore two pumps, and it would be much quieter. Opinions?

Greetings from Thunder Bay!
    I am using a tank from an '87 and an ACDELCO EP381 pump . The pump fits right in the sending unit, and the tank is baffled for a pump. I prefer in-tank pumps, they last for years because they are not out in the elements. Quieter, fewer connections.
    On my '83 C-10, I would have had to notch the frame for the passenger manifold to clear, and the stock y-pipe would have interfered with the front drive shaft, even with a good sized lift. Unless you went with duals or modified the y-pipe....

Quote Originally Posted by kevin500 View Post
    Greetings from Thunder Bay!
    I am using a tank from an '87 and an ACDELCO EP381 pump . The pump fits right in the sending unit, and the tank is baffled for a pump. I prefer in-tank pumps, they last for years because they are not out in the elements. Quieter, fewer connections.
    On my '83 C-10, I would have had to notch the frame for the passenger manifold to clear, and the stock y-pipe would have interfered with the front drive shaft, even with a good sized lift. Unless you went with duals or modified the y-pipe....
    Thanks. One of my tanks is already a tbi tank with matching sending unit and pump. I guess its just a matter of switching the pumps, correct? I would like to keep two tanks, since it gives me added range. I've read of a pollack switching valve that holds up to 60 psi or so. What do/did you use for the valve? Regulator?
    Figured the exhaust wouldn't fit, can't have anything to easy... Probably purchase a manifold back system for the truck, and just make it fit.

Don't blame you for wanting 2 tanks. You have a bit of a drive if you want to travel anywhere.
    Yup, the pump is just a swap, fits in the stock TBI sending unit. Saves a little hassle. I just have to run new steel fuel lines, I don't trust the aluminum ones that are in there now. They worked good for a carburetor, but I don't trust them for injection.
    I am using the Hooker headers for a square body, but they will not work with a 4X4.

Thanks. Everything here is 4 hours away as you know, so range and reliability is key. I have the fuel line from the silverado that I robbed parts from. Its a little long, but it has the right connectors on either end. Hoping to use it to plug into the vette regulator, and just use a combo of rubber and steel hose to connect to the tank through the switching valve. Think it should work.

Which motor mounts did you use? I'm looking at dirty dingo, but they are quite pricey. Probably going with an advance adapters flywheel/clutch combo for the trans end.

Thunder Bay and Sioux Lookout. You guys make me feel like I'm in the sunny south. For the Texans, these guys are farther away from me than I am from you. And they're in the same province.
    2006 Silverado
    Little Black Bitch

Thunder Bay and Sioux Lookout. You guys make me feel like I'm in the sunny south. For the Texans, these guys are farther away from me than I am from you. And they're in the same province.

Um, you ARE in the sunny south. 6 inches of snow yesterday here.

Quote Originally Posted by dothedew View Post
    Thanks. Everything here is 4 hours away as you know, so range and reliability is key. I have the fuel line from the silverado that I robbed parts from. Its a little long, but it has the right connectors on either end. Hoping to use it to plug into the vette regulator, and just use a combo of rubber and steel hose to connect to the tank through the switching valve. Think it should work.

Which motor mounts did you use? I'm looking at dirty dingo, but they are quite pricey. Probably going with an advance adapters flywheel/clutch combo for the trans end.
    Dirty Dingo mounts were ones I was considering. But I went the overly expensive route, bought the kit from SPS that has the motor mounts, tranny mount, and crossmember. I could/should have went the other way, but I am motivationally challenged at times, and did not want to order from various suppliers. I wanted to make sure that everything lined up and that I did not need to play with the driveshaft length. That is REALLY pricey around here. I am not far from bolting it in, so I will know if it works. Also bought the headers from them. Yup, being lazy has it's price.

Its done

Don't feel like repeating what I already wrote once. See thread on LS1tech @
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...silverado.html

Post any questions here, and I'll answer them as they come.

+ Reply to Thread