+ Reply to Thread

Thread: newbe needs ideas! 2001 5.3 swap?

newbe needs ideas! 2001 5.3 swap?

my resume' would until this part of my life involve many VWs and then a couple of Jeeps. many engine swaps and EFI upgrades! so we evolve and necessity becomes the mother... well three kids later and I now have a very well taken of 2001 Suburban LS with autoride and 4x4. its loaded! I got it for nothing.
    The 5.3 runs great but has 210,000 miles.
    As long as she continues to run the way she does, I'll leave the engine alone. but lets get ready!
    my first ? is where do I start, but I'll do some surfing and figure out this new Chevy language!

so the real Qs

has anyone done this?

Gas milage

is there a guide here, or a book that will give me the part numbers?

till then I'll surf and work on the rancho lift!

Burt

First what motor is in it now? Second what is your goals?
    now welcome to the site but your walking into a place where just about everything has already been done. A simple motor swap has been done 10,000 times over.
    Since its the big daddy being a burban and being 4x4 you might consider a 6.0 just saying.
    Get more specifics on your ride and your questions. Other than that you have come to the right place if you really wanna learn.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

It's got a 5.3 now. As I said it runs suprising good but I plan to go with bigger tires 33-34". I live in the mountains at 9000' and that takes a lot of power. The last and biggest prob is our other vehicle is a '06 cummins that seem to have limitless power.
    I have found a couple of articles since posting this and it looks almost a easy as finding a crate engine and flashing the PCM!
    When you say 6.0l is that a normal engine that GM offered or is that an LSx? Sorry for the lack of chevy knowledge but I think this is my first!
    Burt

6.0 is just a regular motor it was even offered in the burbans in cwrtain models, if you are planning a motor swap id also say 6.0 cus the wieght for the burb plus bigger tires youll be disapointed in sticking another 5.3 in it, plus all your 5.3 accesories like ac alternator power steering all that crap will bolt right up to a 6.0 so all you really need is a long block.
    THEY CALL ME G.

AZRAEL
    01 GMC REG CAB BUILDING
    06 SILVERADO SS 80E 3200 YANK LS3 TOP, DD
    2013 POLARIS RANGER CREW LE EPS

The difference between winning and losing, is having a 2nd stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by A PATRIOT View Post
    "MOLON LABE"

Cool

408 and front mount, 4l80 and awd
    Last edited by cjcalhoun; 06-16-2011 at 11:25 AM.

Welcome. You could just toss a turbo on it and be good for a while...unless you WANT to swap the motor, then Im on the 6.0 train as well.
    T-RAV
    99 GMC | 5.3 | Skinny White Guy Tuned

High altitude vehicles respond very well to turbocharging, it's pretty much why turbos were invented in the first place, forcing more air into aircraft engines so that they could fly at higher altitudes where oxygen levels are lower.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

+ Reply to Thread