+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: supercharger questions

supercharger questions

to make a long story short, i've recently acquired the supercharger off a 2000 GTP with only about 60k on it.

i was wondering how feasible it would be to put this on my 2000 5.3

let me start by saying that i am not looking to squeeze everything i can out of it. to be completely honest, i'm mostly going for the "cool factor" and a good project to get some experience with s/c's. i'm planning on keeping the boost real low, like 3-6 psi, to keep the truck safe.

the motor and tranny have almost 200k on them. regularly maintained and as of now running good with no issues. i'm looking to do the whole thing on the cheap.
    i already got the s/c for free. i know i would need the intake and maybe some hardware for relocating the intake tube and tb.

my questions are
    1. does anyone know if there is a way to physically make it work (ie an intake that would adapt them properly, brackets or whatever would be needed for the belt, etc.)

2. would i be able to do it without tuning the computer and/or making major mods to the fuel system and things like that.

3. assuming the most moderate/safe boost levels, can i expect mild changes in the SOTP department.

again, i'm not going for all out power and performance, it's mostly going to be my way of gaining some experience in the area and having some fun. depending on the cost and driveability, it could simply be a temporary setup just for said experience.

thanks for any advice/tips
    2000 ECSB 5.3L with K&N CAI, true duals with flowmaster 40s, and 200k miles!

It would cost a lot of money. That is a v-6 supercharger on a v-8. Lots of customization.
    "ALisSa1 Silverado"
    1990 Chevrolet RCSB 2002 Chevrolet Camaro LS1/4L60E
    Scrimpin Ain't Easy
    ( . Y . )

thats i beleive a M50 or a M80 that isnt no were near enough blower for any LS motor
    2002 Lightning - GT headed 5.5Litre w/ Twin 7665s
    2002 Silverado - 427Lsx w/ Twin gt4202s
    2010 Silverado crewcab Z71 - 5.3litre w/ procharger
    2000 Wrangler - 5.3litre with some stance
    2014 Xsport- 3.5 Eco boost
    412 Motorsports

it ain't that I'm too big to listen to the rumors, It's just that I'm too damn big to pay attention to 'em..That's the difference

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    thats i beleive a M50 or a M80 that isnt no were near enough blower for any LS motor
    thats kinda what i'm counting on though.

like i said before, i don't want it to push hard all the time and make tons of boost. i was thinking it was just hardly going to up the SOTP feel. again, i want to keep the motor safe.

If you’re worried about longevity, think about this; I've had my Vortech on for about 80,000 miles pushing 10lbs of boost, my internals are still stock and when I change my oil every 5000 it's still golden.
    If you don't beat the living poop out of it every day, keep it maintained, and have a proper tune the engine will hold.

Granted I have chewed up one transmission and one rear end...
    05 Gmc Sierra RCSB 5.3 - Vortech V2 Intercooled, BBK 80mm TB, Edlebrock shorties, Custom built 3" Catback W/Borla XR-1, GM Built HD 4l60e w/ transgo shift kit, power servo and corvette shift pin, Yank 2600 Stall TC, Belltech 2/4 drop, Doetsch Shocks, 3.73 gears w/yukon lsd

Quote Originally Posted by NAREJEPP View Post
    thats kinda what i'm counting on though.

like i said before, i don't want it to push hard all the time and make tons of boost. i was thinking it was just hardly going to up the SOTP feel. again, i want to keep the motor safe.
    Keeping a motor safe isn't just about the power its more along the lines of tune up oil changes fuel used motor temps and abuse

I will answer all three of your questions then add my own opinion.
    1) Yes anything is possible a custom intake and brackets would need to be built for you application.
    2) You will need a custom live tune, bc this setup has likely never been accomplished before. You would need larger aftermarket injectors made to fit the new intake manifold(unless the manifold was made to accept your stock injectors) as well as fuel rails to fit and more than likely a fuel pump to be on the safe side.
    3) In order to make even low boost you would have to spin this SC pretty fast meaning a smaller pulley than it came with. As it more than likely came on a 3.8L and your truck has about 35% more displacement.
    Now for my opinion
    Don't waste your time/money. It will be such a headache making this work that its not worth it. For the cost of custom fabing it you could buy a budget turbo kit that would push the same low boost that you desire and would bolt on easy and have good resale value and potential for more power if you wanted down the road. Trick has offered kits for as little as 2000$ if my memory serves me right. You would spend about that or more just to get that SC on ur truck its really not worth it. Just keep it simple. Resell that SC to someone with a regular Granprix GT (easy top swap) and use the money to fund a turbo kit. Also a custom setup for this SC you have would likely be less reliable than a simple low boost turbo.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

thanks for all the input guys. everything ya'll said was kinda where i was already leaning, but thought i'd get some opinions and info on it before i completely tossed the idea.

thanks again

Polish it up and make a lamp out of it LOL
    Name: Mark,
    God created turbo lag so nitrous trucks could have a chance.

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post274877

casey23 Guest
    3 PSI joke... alot of money wasted

+ Reply to Thread