+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OBS 6 lug conversion?

OBS 6 lug conversion?

hi all, i have a 93 OBS 2WD, its a 5 lug truck, and i really like some of the NNST wheels, but the ones i like are all 6 lug, is there any way to do a 6 lug conversion? the only thing i could think of is swapping the axles in the rear end from a 4WD truck, but i dont know if they are the same length. and for the front i would assume 6 lug rotors, but i dont know if they made 6 lug rotors for a 2WD.... i dunno I would assume someone on here has done it

belive you would use rotors off a 2wd 2500 obs and the rear end out of the same 2500, the 4x4 rear ends are a lil wider than the 2wd ones you can check out fullsizechevy.com and type it in the search bar, there are plenty of threads over there on this.
    Last edited by T-Stark; 05-08-2011 at 04:22 PM.

1989 RCSS 5.3/4L60E swap
    - 224/230 .581.591 112lsa,
    - 3200 Stall
    - DJM 4/6 drop
    - Nelson Tuned

Building the truck GM never did..

thats crazy, i wish my truck was five lug. I have no input other than that.
    Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Psalms 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

they do make adapters that go from just about any pattern, but the problem is they also increase width.

yeah i was thinking about swapin to 6 lug for many reasons other than wheels, you can have bigger brakes in the front for pretty cheap and convert the back to disk if you use a rear end out of a nbs truck, and i wanted to run some ss wheels or tbss replicas but i have awhile before i worry about wheels

1989 RCSS 5.3/4L60E swap
    - 224/230 .581.591 112lsa,
    - 3200 Stall
    - DJM 4/6 drop
    - Nelson Tuned

Building the truck GM never did..

I once had a 90 2500 2wd that was referred to as a "light duty" 3/4 ton. It had a 6-lug bolt pattern. You might be able to just buy the 6 lug rotors, but I'm not sure if the spindles are the same. It's worth a shot, though.

As for the rear, you could just have a machine shop drill your axles to the 6-lug pattern or get new axles.
    Matt

Thanks to all American soldiers for their service and sacrifices.

spindles are the same, calipers are the same- it will work i did it to a 94 2wd suburban. t-stark is right, the axles themselves are too long you must change entire rear end. i dont know if there are any years of the light-duty 3/4 ton that had abs, the rotors i used did not have an abs ring. thats if you even care about that.
    5.3 2wd upgrades: Nelson tune, stainless lt's, magnaflow, e-fans, msd's, cai.

I recently had this same 5 lug/6 lug conversation in my head. I had been wanting wheels for my truck. Nothing fancy for me as my wallet will not tolerate fancy right now. The problem was that everything that I saw was completely gaudy and far too big (larger diameter). Not at all what I was after. Then there were the very few 5 lug options in a reasonable (15 -18") size but they were ugly. Between ugly and gaudy what was I to choose.

I remember when I bought my 95 back in 2001. The newer generation of pickups was still new and 15" wheels with a 5 x 5 pattern were VERY common. Fast forward to a time when I can afford to apply some of my change to styling and there are no more options. What happened??

So my thoughts shifted to changing out the axles and rotors. Forget about it. Even salvaged parts are OUTRAGEOUSLY priced here in Calif. It's ridiculous what they want for stuff that was going to be thrown away anyhow. Well, in the end I stuck it out with the 5 x 5 and had Cragar machine a set with that pattern. Only 15" tall and simple design. They look okay but, well, they look okay.

+ Reply to Thread