+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HELP!!!!!!!!! 5.3 swap into a 1990 single cab 1500

HELP!!!!!!!!! 5.3 swap into a 1990 single cab 1500

I have a 1990 single cab 1500 that my grandfather bought brand new. Over the years it has went from him to my dad then to me. I put a factory replacement 350 in it last year and it has the 700r4 trans behind it. I love the engine and transmission combo but i want something that is a little more fun to drive. I love working on trucks and have finally come across the swap i want to do. So here is what i have so far. I found a 2001 truck that has a 5.3 and everything. I came across it because a tree fell on the cab. I'm looking for any information out there on wiring and stuff like that because i hate wiring anything but my dad can do it. He just needs to know where to start. The fabrication and stuff comes easy to me. I don't have a shop to work out of which sucks so i'm just a shade tree mechanic working on his tuck with his dad helping. So if there is any information you have or wiring diagrams feel free to help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

just got done doing one of these swaps myself and let me tell you get the dirty dingo adjustable motor mounts (SBC to LS1) so that way you can re use the factory driveshaft, ur going to have to drill new holes for the cross member tho for the tranny. The diagrams i do not have i had a local shop convert mine for 250 right outside of dallas ( can give you his number if you want ) but there is also other places such as Nelsons Performance that you can send ur harness and ecm off to so they can re work it and tune the vats out of ur computer ( and give it a tune while there in there ) sorry i cant help you on the diagrams tho

but there is a thread on Fullsizechevy that can prob help you out if not p.m. the OP and he can get you what you need in a couple days if someone else dosnt chime in first. http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...iterature.html

For gauges, you'll need to use your '90 sensors. This can be done by buying the autometer fittings or tapping various places. The pcm will still need the driver's side coolant temp sensor, you can use the hole on the other side/head. This is assuming you're keeping the '90 gauge panel.
    The '90 radiator should cool the new engine just fine.

I'm thinking about doing this conversion myself. Keep posting on your progress. Been trying to research the topic but haven't had any luck yet

thanks for the help guys. keep the info coming if you can. i am getting ready to order the motor mounts today.

Okay motor is in but I have run into a problem. I want to put a/c back on the truck but I can't seem to find a high mount a/c bracket. Does anyone no where I could get one.

Holley ac bracket just got mine in last week looks like a factory bracket

1989 RCSS 5.3/4L60E swap
    - 224/230 .581.591 112lsa,
    - 3200 Stall
    - DJM 4/6 drop
    - Nelson Tuned

Building the truck GM never did..

If you have the same bracket and compressor I have, you can go this route. It definitely works as I have it on my 6.0.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=510656

Last edited by Mickeymotormount; 06-27-2013 at 02:22 AM.
    '93 Chevy 1500 4X4 ECLB with a '99 Silverado LQ4 6.0 and '99 Escalade 4L60E. SOLD IT!!

New toy: 2001 2500 HD 4X4 Extended Cab Long Bed

John

The holley ac bracket messes the the routing of the lines. You have to tweak them quite a bit to get most of the kinks out. If I were to try do it again I would try what mickeymotormount suggests because it is so much cheaper and leaves everything stock

+ Reply to Thread