+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cam

Are those cam-specs for the 5.3??
    91 s10 - bagged and bodydropped...getting rebuilt
    91 nissan - backhalfed and bagged

hows that 224/224 112lsa cam? anybody tried it? dont give me some comp cams line sayin "idle-550rpm, midrange, tuning not required bs"....i wanna know seat of the pants reaction

Brandon
    Hugger Orange 99 SS Hardtop #756
    485rwhp/440rwtq SAE

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j301/slmdls1/Signatures/hugger-prostar-sig.jpg

Originally posted by 1500Sleeper@Apr 3 2003, 12:56 PM
    hows that 224/224 112lsa cam? anybody tried it? dont give me some comp cams line sayin "idle-550rpm, midrange, tuning not required bs"....i wanna know seat of the pants reaction

Brandon
    way too much cam for a trtuck without a big stall, not to mention headers, tuning, and most of all heads at least stage1 to get the most out of the cam. 212/218 is a very nice cam and has been documented making 40 rwhp. That is pretty much unbelievable, because the cam would have to be a 48 chp gain. Thunder racing says they did it. best gain you will make is from a 3000 and up stall. Dont remember what u have done to your truck , but I wouldnt go internal until i did the exhaust CA intake converter and programming. I don't mean HPPIII, I mean LS1 edit. I gained 4-5 1/10ths frfom programming alone.
    2002 ecsb
    LS1
    JPR stage I heads
    218/224 529/536
    AS&M Headers
    Volant, Magnaflow Dual/Dual
    SSF 3500 4.10

What is the advantage of the LSA difference usally 112 vs 114? I know what it means but not what it soes to the performance. I thought it was to eliminate the EGR.
    2006 Superior Blue Trailblazer SS AWD, Stock as a rock

Sold: 2002 GMC Sportside Denali front end with a 2002 LS1, FLT level 5, Yank 2600, Trick Turbo, T76, Nelson intercooler, 60LB injectors, Warbro fuel pump, Eaton locker, Magnaflow, 3.42, Nelson Performance Tuning (speed density).

Sold: 1981 GMC LB RC 1500 2002 4.8L 4L60E 12 bolt 3.73 Richmond Lock Right AC PS Nelson Performance tuning

Originally posted by Hay Hauler+Apr 3 2003, 04:10 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hay Hauler &#064; Apr 3 2003, 04:10 PM)</div>
    <!--QuoteBegin-1500Sleeper
    @Apr 3 2003, 12:56 PM

Brandon
    way too much cam for a trtuck without a big stall, not to mention headers, tuning, and most of all heads at least stage1 to get the most out of the cam. 212/218 is a very nice cam and has been documented making 40 rwhp. That is pretty much unbelievable, because the cam would have to be a 48 chp gain. Thunder racing says they did it. best gain you will make is from a 3000 and up stall. Dont remember what u have done to your truck , but I wouldnt go internal until i did the exhaust CA intake converter and programming. I don&#39;t mean HPPIII, I mean LS1 edit. I gained 4-5 1/10ths frfom programming alone. [/b]
    when i go to mod, i take into consideration that intake and exhaust are tken care of...also, i was thinking about M6, so stall is outta the question. once i get a motor, headers and cam, until i can get a tune(i dont trust HpPP3 either)....with intake/ezhuats of course.

also, im with GMCwantsLS1 about wondering about LSA performance wise, other than non choppiness the higher the LSA.

Brandon
    Hugger Orange 99 SS Hardtop #756
    485rwhp/440rwtq SAE

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j301/slmdls1/Signatures/hugger-prostar-sig.jpg

Call Thunder racing last night and asked them what they had. 208/216.500/.500 114lsa or 206/212.515/.522 112lsa would work in my truck and pass emissions but need to replace springs with no other work. I have asm header and k&n and 3600 stall converter on order. Is that converter to big for a truck or just right. I am also getting nitrous. When I get this worked out. I really do like the help. Thanks
    1999 Silverado 1500 Ext. cab Red 2/4 hotchkis drop & swaybars, bilstein stocks, AR626 & 404 Nitto&#39;s, Yank converter, ASM headers, ASP underdrive pulley, Taylor wires , free mods VCN 2000, Nelson Performance tuning

2002 Red WS6 M6; Flow master K&N

The cam and stall is going to be perfect. 3600 is what our slightly heavy trucks need to get off the line, plus the high stalls still lock up on the highway, which helps gas a little. Looks like it&#39;s all coming together,

keep up updated,

btw, did you check out the cam page after all, did that help with anything?

allen

The 3600 will be just right for your truc. I think you can be a little more agressive in terms of your duration. I would go 214/214 duration and would not exceed .510 lift if you are keeping the stock springs. 112LSA is a no no for automatic and emissions 114 is the way to go. You can trade off more duration for higher LSA. Remember you can always do a custom grind at comp cams.
    1991 Formula Firebird

2001 LS1/4L60E, 3.23 posi rear
    Comp XE 216/216 .577/.577 114LSA cam
    918 Springs, hardened pushrods
    Yank SS3600 torque converter
    PCM reprogrammed for cam and converter
    3" exhaust
    BRM Adjustable torque arm, tubular read LCAs
    Spohn Adjustable panhard bar, front steering brace
    Spohn Subframe Connectors
    4th Gen style wheels
    Bilsteins sport struts and shocks

I saw that on there site about them finding a cam for you. I will try that and see what they come with. Yes I went there I read the same thing on the ads. I would like to know emission friendly or not. How to read what is given. I could not get to page 3 to open. I have just figured out how to read this almost thanks wg sorg. The first number are the duration the second numbers are the lift. Still don&#39;t know what the lsa is? I am learning. Just second guessing myself see ads and the truck converters are less than 3200 stall. Just wanted to check. I am getting impatient on wanting to get everything order and installed. I can not wait.
    1999 Silverado 1500 Ext. cab Red 2/4 hotchkis drop & swaybars, bilstein stocks, AR626 & 404 Nitto&#39;s, Yank converter, ASM headers, ASP underdrive pulley, Taylor wires , free mods VCN 2000, Nelson Performance tuning

2002 Red WS6 M6; Flow master K&N

LSA stands for lobe seperation angle. It is basically is a measurement of the overlap between valuve opening and closing. As the LSA decreases there is less time that both valves are closed at the same time between the exhaust stroke and the intake stroke. Hence, it increases scavenging and helps the engine breathe at higher RPMS. Essentially the powerband is pushed up.

Unfortunately, this scavenging effect significantly reduces efficiency at lower RMPS because you have combustion escaping prematurely during the power stroke. That is what creates that loping sound. There is simply not enough air moving through the engine and the economies of the scavenging effect present during high RPMS are lost. Along with inefficient combustion comes rough idle, poor emissions characteristics and less power in the bottom and mid range. This is why cam, converter, and gear selction are so important. The losses in the lower RMP range can be compensated for by allowing the engine to get into its powerband quicker.

For us daily driver guys trying to fight emissions 114LSA is the best bet. In my selection I believe I made the best compromise because I did not want to give up that low end effificncy and driveability. I stil gain some up top, but not as much (although the push rods and springs will help get me a little more.) 112LSA is not a good setup for A4 because the engine is under load at idle and your car is pigging in the low RPM driving range. Some guys can get buy with it, but they have to go through a lot of tuning and adjustment and still may not pass emissions. The M6 guys are the ones who get away with the 112.

I hope this helps. Please do not rush making your decision. We will help you get it figured out.
    BILL
    1991 Formula Firebird

2001 LS1/4L60E, 3.23 posi rear
    Comp XE 216/216 .577/.577 114LSA cam
    918 Springs, hardened pushrods
    Yank SS3600 torque converter
    PCM reprogrammed for cam and converter
    3" exhaust
    BRM Adjustable torque arm, tubular read LCAs
    Spohn Adjustable panhard bar, front steering brace
    Spohn Subframe Connectors
    4th Gen style wheels