+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: engine ping- need suggestions

engine ping- need suggestions

i'm relatively new to the forum thing and this is my first post on here so sorry for the lack of SOP

anyway, i've got a 2000 extended cab silverado with a 5.3 and about 190k on the clock. I've kept up with all maintenance over the past 6 years that I have been driving it. about a year or so ago, i started noticing that the engine would ping/knock at higher rpms and when under a heavy load (towing our boat) it doesn't throw codes or anything, so i started filling up with premium gas and the problem went away. fast forward til about a month ago, it starts doing it again, in spite of the premium fill-ups.

the only code i have is an occasional bank 2 running lean code.(i dont know the number off the top of my head) by occasional, i mean that if i clear it i can sometimes drive a solid week or two without it cropping back up.

within the last 6-8 months or so i've replaced the fuel filter, done injector flush, plugs and wires, and new knock sensors. most of which was just in the course of normal maintenance, but all of which have seemed unable to cure my issue. i also tried seafoam, to no avail.

oh btw, no vacuum leaks that i can find and fuel pressure is good.

the only other place i know to go is the upstream o2 sensors, but am not sure that it will fix my problem.

any suggestions are welcome and appreciated. thanks

ps, mods are: true dual exhaust through flowmaster 40's (stock manifolds) and K&N CAI

Is it lifter tick?

1969 Chevy RCLB C10 350/TH400 SOLD
    2007 Chevy RCSB 4.8 4x4 LS SOLD
    2008 Chevy RCSB 5.3 4x4 LT SOLD
    2010 Chevy CCSB 6.2 4x4 LT SOLD
    2005 GMC CCLB DRW 6.6 Duramax 4x4 191,000 and counting
    2013 FORD CCSB F350 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by pl4yboy View Post
    Is it lifter tick?
    not sure, i don't think so though. i never thought about that because i am under the impression that lifter tick is more constant, something that i could hear all the time.

is there an easy way to tell the difference?

Mine had some part throttle ping under heavy load from the factory. Logged it in hp tuners and pulled 2° of timing where it was knocking. No more problems.
    99' Silverado RCSB Z71: 5.7L Iron LS1, 11.2:1, Custom EPS Cam, Ported 862's,Ported TB, E-Bay Cold Air, E-Bay Long Tubes, Dynomax X-Pipe Exhaust, Electric Fans, Innovative LC-1, Self Built 4L60E, Circle D Pro Single Disc, 4:10 ValueTrac

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7887&dateline=1270435  715

Quote Originally Posted by NAREJEPP View Post
    not sure, i don't think so though. i never thought about that because i am under the impression that lifter tick is more constant, something that i could hear all the time.

is there an easy way to tell the difference?

Tick is more constant, but it also has to do with how your oil is acting. I would get HPT hooked up to it asap.

1969 Chevy RCLB C10 350/TH400 SOLD
    2007 Chevy RCSB 4.8 4x4 LS SOLD
    2008 Chevy RCSB 5.3 4x4 LT SOLD
    2010 Chevy CCSB 6.2 4x4 LT SOLD
    2005 GMC CCLB DRW 6.6 Duramax 4x4 191,000 and counting
    2013 FORD CCSB F350 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4

If you haven't already, change them intake gaskets out. This can cause a lean code. I have had to do it 3 times on my 2001. They will leak after so many miles.
    RUN WAT U BRUNG!!!!

thanks for the replies guys.

as far as HPT, aside from buying it, the only way i know to get my truck hooked up to it is to get it tuned right? i've been thinking about this, but with 190k miles, i wouldn't want to push it too hard as far as performance tuning goes, and can't really see myself spending 3-400 for small timing adjustments. i may be wrong though, what do ya'll think?

as far as the intake gaskets, i replaced those when i did the knock sensors. worth double checking them for leaks though.

is there any validity in suspecting the o2 sensors at this point? they one of the few things on the truck that i have never replaced.

thanks again everyone

good news...problem solved

spent last night in the shop again and decided to smoke the intake...again. this time i found the slightest little leak coming from 2 of the bank 2 injector seals. you could just barely see the smoke, i actually feel fortunate that i didn't overlook it again.

anyway, spent the afternoon replacing all injector seals and the intake gasket for good measure...and TADA!
    everything is running good.

thanks for the help and suggestions

Good deal man! Im kinda in the same boat so I may do the smoke test.
    RUN WAT U BRUNG!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RUFFNECK View Post
    Good deal man! Im kinda in the same boat so I may do the smoke test.
    yea, it ended up working out. a week later and still no issues. it has a real slight ticking still, but it's basically only under WOT, and that's been there for a while now.

hopefully a new 5.3 build and a 80E are in the future.

+ Reply to Thread