+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 93 1500 w/ 5.3L & 5 speed swap

93 1500 w/ 5.3L & 5 speed swap

Im gonna start a build page here for my 93 Silverado. I've done a lot of work on it so far just to get it lookin decent but now its time for some drivetrain work. It came with a 305 and 5 speed but now has about 295K miles on them. I had plans on just fixing up and daily driving but I found a 5.3 cheap... so why not?!

Some brief background....truck was wrecked in passenger side when I bought it. Got for $600

Fixed all the damage myself, swapped out some things and repainted it

5.3L is from a 2004 silverado with DBW
    Came with accessories on it but wiring was cut

Parts already collected:
    Transdapt motor mounts
    Russell fuel rail fittings and connectors
    GM EP-381 fuel pump kit
    WIX fuel filter/regulator
    4.8L flywheel
    Pilot and throwout bearings

I plan on gathering few more parts for the swap soon and stick this thing in! Schoenfeld headers will be used and Powers AC relocation brackets.

This is my first LS swap into anything so I'm sure I'll have questions and any tips would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by 91blkstpsd; 03-08-2011 at 02:48 PM.

91 Silverado Stepside, LT1, 4L60e, Hotcam, RRs, Headers, 52mm TB, built trans, 20" Coys, 5-7, etc...
    93 Silverado, 5.3L, 5 speed, 5-7, 20"s, GMC grille,molded pan, 454SS fogs, HIDS, etc...
    06 Silverado Crew Cab Z71, LTs, full SLP exhaust, tune, CIA, 6" lift, 35"s, DVD, etc...

The only downfall so far is this has a cracked head.. The donor truck was wrecked and pulled the manifold bolts out. Hairline crack from one bolt hole to an exhaust port.. Already have another head but its casting #706 and mine are #862. I believe they are the same though..

Where's a good cheap place to buy top end gaskets at?

91 Silverado Stepside, LT1, 4L60e, Hotcam, RRs, Headers, 52mm TB, built trans, 20" Coys, 5-7, etc...
    93 Silverado, 5.3L, 5 speed, 5-7, 20"s, GMC grille,molded pan, 454SS fogs, HIDS, etc...
    06 Silverado Crew Cab Z71, LTs, full SLP exhaust, tune, CIA, 6" lift, 35"s, DVD, etc...

I got the Felpro MLS and head bolts from Rockauto.com for around $60, not sure if thats the cheapest, but it was the easiest for me. I would look at the Novak adapters AC kit if I were you though.

Old engine is out! Gonna clean up the engine bay this weekend and possibly mate the trans up to the 5.3L

lookin good man doing my swap this week should be done by the weekend and btw love those wheels i cant wait to get some for my truck

Thanks man!

Got a little work done this weekend. Sorted thru most of the old engine harness and pulled aside the things I know I wont need and the things I will. Got the motor mounts put on the engine and waiting for the new poly mounts to show up so I can test fit it in. Also cleaned up the trans cause it had a thick layer of grease inside the bell housing where there had been an oil leak at one time. Got the new fuel pump put in as well.

Then I mounted the TAC module on the firewall. FYI- It mounts perfectly where the cruise control box goes, looks factory.

Also mounted up the drive by wire pedal assembly. It wouldnt fit good as it was so I modified it and made a bracket that makes the pedal bolt in like the factory OBS one. Seems to work out good IMO

BEFORE: (the pedal was offset too far over)

AFTER: reshaped and angled different, its straighter now.

I mounted it where when all the way depressed, its about 1/8" off the floor.

I was able to get a little bit of work done though. Got the new flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate put in and mated the engine to the trans. Cleaned and painted the trans while I had it out. This was supposed to be cast alum but came out more chrome.. Ghetto I know but it'll do. ha
    Also found a battery tray and bracket at the junk yard to locate my battery to the drivers side like the NBS. And finally, got in my AC brackets.

Also put in new poly motor mounts and swapped the 2" springs for some 3" ones. This is where it sits now with no weight in the front, hopefully it'll sit at the top of the tire just like my black truck once put back together.

lookin good man! did you get a battery try out of a nbs or an obs 2500?

Quote Originally Posted by T-Stark View Post
    lookin good man! did you get a battery try out of a nbs or an obs 2500?
    Thanks. This one is out of a OBS 1500. Some have the storage box there but when I was at the junk yard I found a couple with this tray, but still had the metal one on passenger side too.

did not know that thanks man looks like im going to the junk yard this weekend lol

and is that the novak ac bracket? if it is let me know what you think of it i need to get one when i have the money

+ Reply to Thread