+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 160* stat

160* stat

What are your experiences with the 160* thermostat. I understand that, obviously, the engine will run cooler but my only concern is how the rings will swell in order to fill the space between the pistons and cylinder walls. I ask because currently with the rear mount, when the engine is cold, theres not a lot of power and I hardly make any boost - I'm assuming because the rings haven't fully heated up so the engine can't quite push enough exhaust gases to really spin up the turbo. I know a ton of people are going to say the problem is the location of the turbo but I'm looking beyond that. It's still a turbo, regarless of where it is mounted. Yes, I am going front mount when I swap engines and the bottom line is this: How good of an idea is it to use a 160* stat on a 6.0L with a front mount T-76?

~ Forged engine of some type ~ Ball bearing turbo of an unconfirmed size ~ 4L8000 trans ~ Beefy fuel system ~

i run no Tstat and use an restrictor, lately my motor doesnt leave off the 160 mark on the cluster so its in the 140s-150s. the ring part you describe shouldnt be an issue on a seasoned motor now on a totally fresh fire of a motor then maybe but not a seasoned motor. I dont have issues seeing boost with my low ECTs. Other parts of the tune can help you out with boost in cooler motor temps
    2002 Lightning - GT headed 5.5Litre w/ Twin 7665s
    2002 Silverado - 427Lsx w/ Twin gt4202s
    2010 Silverado crewcab Z71 - 5.3litre w/ procharger
    2000 Wrangler - 5.3litre with some stance
    2014 Xsport- 3.5 Eco boost
    412 Motorsports

it ain't that I'm too big to listen to the rumors, It's just that I'm too damn big to pay attention to 'em..That's the difference

I figured the tune played an important part. I want to keep the engine cooler, but not TOO cold. The stock stat seems pretty high (195* I think) when you're making power.

~ Forged engine of some type ~ Ball bearing turbo of an unconfirmed size ~ 4L8000 trans ~ Beefy fuel system ~

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    i run no Tstat and use an restrictor, lately my motor doesnt leave off the 160 mark on the cluster so its in the 140s-150s. the ring part you describe shouldnt be an issue on a seasoned motor now on a totally fresh fire of a motor then maybe but not a seasoned motor. I dont have issues seeing boost with my low ECTs. Other parts of the tune can help you out with boost in cooler motor temps
    Hey quick how many miles would you say becomes a seasoned motor? 15k? 20k?
    RUN WAT U BRUNG!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RUFFNECK View Post
    That's a good question.

Sorry buddy didn't mean butt in, was just curious for when I salvage my next LSX motor.
    RUN WAT U BRUNG!!!!

id say in the 20k range would be considered seasoned
    Quote Originally Posted by RUFFNECK View Post
    2002 Lightning - GT headed 5.5Litre w/ Twin 7665s
    2002 Silverado - 427Lsx w/ Twin gt4202s
    2010 Silverado crewcab Z71 - 5.3litre w/ procharger
    2000 Wrangler - 5.3litre with some stance
    2014 Xsport- 3.5 Eco boost
    412 Motorsports

it ain't that I'm too big to listen to the rumors, It's just that I'm too damn big to pay attention to 'em..That's the difference

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    id say in the 20k range would be considered seasoned
    Cool thx!
    RUN WAT U BRUNG!!!!

i put a slp 160 stat im my 82 c10 5.3L, temp stayed at 176 for a while parked in the driveway then went up to 186, then the fans kicked on and went back to 176. is that the right operating temp for a 160 stat?
    1982 c10 lsx swaped, NP tuned, true duals, 4:11s, trutrac, e-fans, CAI

Quote Originally Posted by lechez71 View Post
    i put a slp 160 stat im my 82 c10 5.3L, temp stayed at 176 for a while parked in the driveway then went up to 186, then the fans kicked on and went back to 176. is that the right operating temp for a 160 stat?
    Gotta remember the posted temp is the closing temp. So it means it will close at 160 degrees and probably open about 170 degrees. Please correct me if I am wrong, but mine stays at 175 in the summer parked with the A/C on.
    RUN WAT U BRUNG!!!!

+ Reply to Thread