+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4L80E not engaging reverse.

4L80E not engaging reverse.

I have a friend who has a obs suburban with a 454 & a 4L80E. He went to put his truck in reverse yesterday & it wont engage. He said its like putting it in neutral. In drive in runs just fine. It has never given him any problems until now. Any ideas? Im guessing a solenoid. TIA
    1999 Silverado 2500LD EC, SB, 4x4, LT, 6.0 V-8 (LQ4), 4L85E, 4.10 gears & a G80. 4" homemade intake, 3" magnaflow 2 into 1, diablosport predator tuner.

the 4l80e uses a low reverse band to provide reverse as well as manual low. The best way to find out if it actually a band issue you can drive up to 40 mph and manually down shift the trans to first the engine doesn't rev and hold the truck back then the band is not applying which could be several things. The problem is this band is in the botttom of the trans and requires complete disassembly to inspect. Many 4l80e cases will have the band retaining pins broke loose which can not be repaired in my experience. One other thing that could cause this is the overrun sprag which is in the same part of the trans so it would be easy to inspect at the same time. good luck wish I had better news for you.

I would have to say either a broken band or rear band servo. HTH Vinc

+ Reply to Thread