+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Nitrous spark plug info

Nitrous spark plug info

So with my recent changes and wanting to run a healthy dose of nitrous, I started doing some research on spark plugs. I got a buddy who does a lot of tuning on very high horsepower race cars using nitrous and the different forms of boost who kept saying it just doesn't make since that people recommend using a projected tip plug for this.

So I called NGK. I told the guy my plans and we discussed spark plugs. He said, "I'll put it to ya like this partner. Using a projected tip plug with nitrous is like sticking your arm in a fire, you're gonna get burned." I kinda laughed, but it made since. He was pretty amazed at the fact that so many people use and recommend the tr6 plug for use with nitrous and boost. The guy was very helpful and gave me a list of non projected tip plugs to use with out motors

For those of you who want a 6 heat range plug
    BR6EF part #3177

BR7EF part #3346
    B8EFS part #1049
    B9EFS part #1085

Now for those who are thinking this guy is just trying to make the company more money by selling me a more expensive plug, not the case. These are the same price as a good ol tr55 or tr6. I've been driving around on the br7ef for a few days now and notice no ill effects, no bad gas mileage, no performance loss, just piece of mind. You can pick these up at your local parts store or I noticed our sponsor Nitrous Outlet has them as well. Just thought I'd share.
    2007 RCSB|DTR81 built LSx 3xx|PRC|NX|BOGART|MSD|QUICKFUEL 950 E85|4L80|FTI Converters|Smith RaceCraft|Racepak
    midweststreetcars.com

Quote Originally Posted by parker View Post
    So with my recent changes and wanting to run a healthy dose of nitrous, I started doing some research on spark plugs. I got a buddy who does a lot of tuning on very high horsepower race cars using nitrous and the different forms of boost who kept saying it just doesn't make since that people recommend using a projected tip plug for this.

So I called NGK. I told the guy my plans and we discussed spark plugs. He said, "I'll put it to ya like this partner. Using a projected tip plug with nitrous is like sticking your arm in a fire, you're gonna get burned." I kinda laughed, but it made since. He was pretty amazed at the fact that so many people use and recommend the tr6 plug for use with nitrous and boost. The guy was very helpful and gave me a list of non projected tip plugs to use with out motors

For those of you who want a 6 heat range plug
    BR6EF part #3177

BR7EF part #3346
    B8EFS part #1049
    B9EFS part #1085

Now for those who are thinking this guy is just trying to make the company more money by selling me a more expensive plug, not the case. These are the same price as a good ol tr55 or tr6. I've been driving around on the br7ef for a few days now and notice no ill effects, no bad gas mileage, no performance loss, just piece of mind. You can pick these up at your local parts store or I noticed our sponsor Nitrous Outlet has them as well. Just thought I'd share.
    I've always heard the same thing, but I've had no issues with my TR6's.

1969 Chevy RCLB C10 350/TH400 SOLD
    2007 Chevy RCSB 4.8 4x4 LS SOLD
    2008 Chevy RCSB 5.3 4x4 LT SOLD
    2010 Chevy CCSB 6.2 4x4 LT SOLD
    2005 GMC CCLB DRW 6.6 Duramax 4x4 191,000 and counting
    2013 FORD CCSB F350 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4

Yeah me neither, and several thousand other people lol But anything I can do to help avoid detonation, I'll do it. Just some info I've picked up that I thought I'd share
    2007 RCSB|DTR81 built LSx 3xx|PRC|NX|BOGART|MSD|QUICKFUEL 950 E85|4L80|FTI Converters|Smith RaceCraft|Racepak
    midweststreetcars.com

Good info for sure... I've been using the B9EFS for awhile now, and even the R5724-10 #7993 for when the wick gets turned way up. I'll add that the plugs don't last long at that power level so stock up lol
    30' Ford Model A Tudor Sedan - Custom chassis - Big bore LS2 - twin B76's - Glide - 9" w/ 3.07 gears - 30" DR tire - 2k lbs cruiser

It's all startin to come together now, very helpful. But I still don't understand the different heat ranges and where they come in for how much performance and boost you are looking for if that makes sense. I've always run tr6's but now I'm looking for a different plug. Can you explain this?

Quote Originally Posted by emmerich5.3 View Post
    It's all startin to come together now, very helpful. But I still don't understand the different heat ranges and where they come in for how much performance and boost you are looking for if that makes sense. I've always run tr6's but now I'm looking for a different plug. Can you explain this?
    How much power are you making? On how much boost? Look at your plugs when you get a chance... where is the heat mark stop on the threads? The BR6's would prolly work for you, just giving you some things to check. You should check the plugs and tune accordingly by what they say... you could be leaving some safe power on the table or vise versa
    30' Ford Model A Tudor Sedan - Custom chassis - Big bore LS2 - twin B76's - Glide - 9" w/ 3.07 gears - 30" DR tire - 2k lbs cruiser

My NOS plate recommended TR6...that's what I run. My plugs look pretty good running a 175 with a much smaller fuel jet then recommended. I'm sure other plugs work, but TONS of people with ls motors run tr6's. It's not just on HERE, the corvette/camaro guys do it too. I'm going to stick with the numbers on this one. Granted...I run my timing/fuel on the conservative side and I'm not pushing HUGE numbers. I'll sacrifice the few hp for the peace of mind. Keep us posted on how the plugs hold up. I know I ran 6 bottles through my tr6's and they looked practically brand new. I changed them for tr55's just because I won't be spraying for a few months, and like the gas mileage/throttle response of the hotter plugs.
    blown transmissions are about as useful as 97% of the guys on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by oleshifty View Post
    My NOS plate recommended TR6...that's what I run. My plugs look pretty good running a 175 with a much smaller fuel jet then recommended. I'm sure other plugs work, but TONS of people with ls motors run tr6's. It's not just on HERE, the corvette/camaro guys do it too. I'm going to stick with the numbers on this one. Granted...I run my timing/fuel on the conservative side and I'm not pushing HUGE numbers. I'll sacrifice the few hp for the peace of mind. Keep us posted on how the plugs hold up. I know I ran 6 bottles through my tr6's and they looked practically brand new. I changed them for tr55's just because I won't be spraying for a few months, and like the gas mileage/throttle response of the hotter plugs.
    So you run tr6's with a 175 shot? Awesome!! I'd be willing to bet you don't know how to read plugs...

Here you have a thread with people trying to help and you want to be a sheep and follow the rest of the heard... I don't get it? You could switch to the BR6 plug and see no difference at all, just the correct plug for the correct application

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMinivan View Post
    How much power are you making? On how much boost? Look at your plugs when you get a chance... where is the heat mark stop on the threads? The BR6's would prolly work for you, just giving you some things to check. You should check the plugs and tune accordingly by what they say... you could be leaving some safe power on the table or vise versa
    Can't say for sure about power haven't had it on a dyno yet. I'm on 13 psi I think 500 wheel is reasonable. Looking at a couple pics I have of the plugs looks like the heat marks go about 3/4 way down the threads.
    Last edited by EmmerichLSx; 11-22-2010 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMinivan View Post
    So you run tr6's with a 175 shot? Awesome!! I'd be willing to bet you don't know how to read plugs...

Here you have a thread with people trying to help and you want to be a sheep and follow the rest of the heard... I don't get it? You could switch to the BR6 plug and see no difference at all, just the correct plug for the correct application

I'm in no way/shape/form arguing with you. We've all seen the vids, you obviously know what you're doing. I know A LITTLE about reading plugs. Uncle has a 6 second drag car (was 2nd fastest on IL pinks) and he read them with his magnifying lense and said it was running little rich, but good enough for what I use the truck for. The timing marks were about right. My tune runs rich, so most likely where the problem is coming from. Plugs obviously weren't brand new before I made the run, but I did a 0-80ish street run on spray, let off spray, shut down truck, coasted, pulled 2 plugs, put them in a bag, brought them to him.

If tr6's were that bad, why would companies like NOS recommend them? Why would there be tons of LS guys running shots WAY larger then my 175 on tr6's/tr7's/tr8's, not breaking stuff constantly? It may be the sheep following the herd, but if 100 guys get in a boat to cross a river, and it works, I'm going to stick with them. The select few trying other stuff may be FASTER, but may also be spending more money experimenting.

The simple fact the NGK guy was "amazed by the fact" that people are using tr6's, makes me question his know-how. I work at a rinky-dink auto parts store, and 75% of the morons I work with, know that if someone asks for tr6s, they are probably running boost/nitrous, because all the rich kids come in asking for them in their loud ass gto/trans am/camaros. That is probably the ONE plug, that people know by "name".

Once again, not arguing, just trying to make a logical debate.
    blown transmissions are about as useful as 97% of the guys on this forum

+ Reply to Thread