Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: RHS 501" LS vs. GMPP 572" Big Block.

Let's try to get the variables out, and try to compare as raw just the engines.

Let's asume they are mounted in a dyno, and all peripherals are in there place.

Let's get thos $3K and think on the parts we can change to make them perform better and in the end of the day, wich will be the winner.

Also for starters, the BB is a couple of thousands more than the LS based engine ! but is the closer to compare

thats in a magically world as both motors will require different items to supply their needs [fueling, intake exhausting]
    3k whos doing the work? you could spend 3k on a set of heads for both motors, you could spend that 3k on lightweight parts. 3k isnt alot if you look at it in performance money
    Quote Originally Posted by 2boostedSilverado View Post
    Let's try to get the variables out, and try to compare as raw just the engines.

Let's asume they are mounted in a dyno, and all peripherals are in there place.

Let's get thos $3K and think on the parts we can change to make them perform better and in the end of the day, wich will be the winner.

Also for starters, the BB is a couple of thousands more than the LS based engine ! but is the closer to compare
    2002 Lightning - GT headed 5.5Litre w/ Twin 7665s
    2002 Silverado - 427Lsx w/ Twin gt4202s
    2010 Silverado crewcab Z71 - 5.3litre w/ procharger
    2000 Wrangler - 5.3litre with some stance
    2014 Xsport- 3.5 Eco boost
    412 Motorsports

it ain't that I'm too big to listen to the rumors, It's just that I'm too damn big to pay attention to 'em..That's the difference

Is it that magical? I'm trying to use the same formula the advertiser use to stuff us like turkeys for Thanksgiven.
    This engines are turnon key, both will need tons of things just to make them work.
    Let's asume we are back to where this guys took out those magic numbers. They provide them with exhaust, FS and else, but they wont sell it.

Is less magical to asume we have $30K to spend in engines to pass over 2500hp and run them a couple of times???

I'm just trying to make a clean, unbias comparo of just the engines, it's tech, and how far u can get on a limited budget, and be happy with it.

Is it that magical? I'm trying to use the same formula the advertiser use to stuff us like turkeys for Thanksgiven.
    This engines are turnon key, both will need tons of things just to make them work.
    Let's asume we are back to where this guys took out those magic numbers. They provide them with exhaust, FS and else, but they wont sell it.

Is less magical to asume we have $30K to spend in engines to pass over 2500hp and run them a couple of times???

I'm just trying to make a clean, unbias comparo of just the engines, it's tech, and how far u can get on a limited budget, and be happy with it.
    In my opinion, the big block will make more power in the long run. You'll have to spend more money on parts, for sure, but there really is no doubt that the big block will make more power with more money. There is a point in which you run out of aftermarket for the LS motors. The BBC has been around for how many years? The aftermarket for them is really limitless.

1969 Chevy RCLB C10 350/TH400 SOLD
    2007 Chevy RCSB 4.8 4x4 LS SOLD
    2008 Chevy RCSB 5.3 4x4 LT SOLD
    2010 Chevy CCSB 6.2 4x4 LT SOLD
    2005 GMC CCLB DRW 6.6 Duramax 4x4 191,000 and counting
    2013 FORD CCSB F350 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4

What about not comparing what the engines will do on unlimeted funds !

What about a kind of real life comparo.....like normal users, not bonified racers !

What will happen if we took a pair of GM crate engines. Since no c.i. is comparable in this section, let's get the ones that are near in HP deparment.

Then, lets give a perfomance treatment to both engines with off the shelf parts, and with a limit amount of....what, $3000.00

The contenders will be the LS376/480 HP 6.2L CrateEngine with HotCam 19244549 (480 HP @ 5750 RPM, 475 lb-ft Torque @ 4500 RPM) VS 19166393 - ZZ427/430 427CI CRATE ENGINE 480HP/490TQ (480H P@ 5800 rpm, 490TQ @ 3800 rpm)

Probably those 2 engines are in the range of most of us Street hot roders, and the $3000.00 are also in the range to be spended in a heart beat for pumping this engines a little bit more.

In this case scenario, Just engine based.....what will be the best bang for the money.....????

Al Experts please chime in
    I think you've missed the point. The last 427 BBC that came in a production car was in 1969. There are very few reasons for anyone to waste the money on a small 427 BBC these days. Today if you're going to go racing or building a high perf street motor with a BBC it will most likely be 500ci or bigger. Today small cubes belong to the LSx .... 500ci and up is BBC territory.

As far as weight goes, the BBC isn't as heavy as some of you think. If you step up to a LSX, you've stepped up to the same weight as a BBC and you're probably going to spend more on the LSX than you would if you built a BBC with more cubes than an LSX.

If you're building a BBC to go racing with aftermarket parts, it costs about the same all the way up to 572ci with off the shelf parts. The price goes up if you want to go over 572ci.

The LSx will never compete in BBC territory. The LSx is too small inside. To compete with the BBC would require a new big block version of the LSx, and there's very little reason for that to happen anytime soon.
    Last edited by IXLR8; 12-17-2010 at 01:29 PM.

Point taken.....kind of understood that in the earlier 8 pages.

So the point here, as in the 1st post, is to try to compare apples to apples, but that is not possible at all. So the next closer thing is what it was kind of affordable to most of us.

But I guess is kind of hard so just let's forget the post..

Just for the Fun Fact Factor.....I imported by air a LQ9 408 engine and a LSX 454 engine. The airline weigt and meassure them and charge me for warever was higher !!!
    Difference in weigth was 32lbs.
    The LQ9 was without intake, no starter and no harness at all. LSX was complete engine.

So I'm pretty sure LSX engines and LS iron blocks are about the same weigth, and not as stated above, that LSX blocks are about the same weigth as BB.

Just that, and that I did not miss the point.....this thread is pointless to beging with. The first post has no details on the engines that hit those numbers.

Btw, the 427ci BB is a very profitable turn key engine made by GMHP as crate till this day. Better seller than the mighty 572 turn key engine, and almost as good seller than the 502 HP turn key.

Just for the Fun Fact Factor.....I imported by air a LQ9 408 engine and a LSX 454 engine. The airline weigt and meassure them and charge me for warever was higher !!!
    Difference in weigth was 32lbs.
    The LQ9 was without intake, no starter and no harness at all. LSX was complete engine.

So I'm pretty sure LSX engines and LS iron blocks are about the same weigth, and not as stated above, that LSX blocks are about the same weigth as BB.

Just that, and that I did not miss the point.....this thread is pointless to beging with. The first post has no details on the engines that hit those numbers.

Btw, the 427ci BB is a very profitable turn key engine made by GMHP as crate till this day. Better seller than the mighty 572 turn key engine, and almost as good seller than the 502 HP turn key.
    The only people that would buy a 427 BBC these days are just looking for the 427 number for nostalgic reasons. There's really no other reason to buy such a small BBC. From what I've read the 502 and 572 crate motors are by far their best sellers.

Shipping weights are very rarely correct. Do some research. A complete LSX (cast iron block) with aluminum heads, weighs almost exactly the same as a complete BBC with a cast iron block and aluminum heads.

Even it they were 100 lbs lighters....
    Still If your pocket is deeper than mine you will win. IF my pocket is deeper than yours I can make a honda outrun you. Everyone wants to say "If" in alot of posts. IF we were all posers we would be doing ricer math in our "modded" out integra with a big wing. So lets keep it to the street and run what you got. And Parker. Everyone knows a guy... I know a guy with a SBC that can own most the BBC guys you know. But I bet you know a guy that can make that guy seem like some other guy..... I think is what has Mic to riled up at you. Mic is desperately trying to be "that guy" that people know. And he is doing great at it. His truck has seen a ton change and a great deal of improvement. He is at a point he doesnt haft to "talk" about stuff he can take his ride out and "do". And nothing is more bothersome to someone that spends alot of time working on something then to hear a "I know a guy" speach by someone calling him out. So either build a BBC to outrun him or just agree to disagree on certain key points in life.
    Last edited by Show&Go; 12-17-2010 at 02:39 PM.

06 Intimidator SS- Tuned, CAI -DD
    03 Silverado- Last incarnation 13.6... RIP
    Ls1, Pnp heads, Polluter camshaft, spray, 4k stall on the way
    "Seize the day like you seize your noodle" - Shin Chan

Production big block is dead. There's a reason. And go.
    2006 Silverado
    Little Black Bitch

Closed Thread