+ Reply to Thread

Thread: possible 4l80e problems after HD-2 shift kit install

possible 4l80e problems after HD-2 shift kit install

Installed the transgo shift kit in my 4l80e and I'm not sure if its working right. I have done shift kits before and they would shift firm and hard. this shift kit installed in the 4l80e shifts normal. almost to soft. when I put it in drive I dosen't even feel like its going into drive. Its dosent slip into drive or anything. I just give it gas and it goes. It shifts into all the gears, there is no hesitation or slip. The trans temp sensor is inline and reads 210 after driving around normally. I have a tru-cool max trans cooler so I think it should be running cooler than that. I followed the directions to the T. I did the direct clutch spring swap and the drilling in the pump. It just seems like I might be losing pressure somewhere. any ideas???

im not tranny expert by any means, but i know 210 in a 60e is WAY too hot.. some one with an 80e will know better.

04 RCSB 4.8, TR220/220, CIRCLE D 3000, PACESETTER LT'S/ORY, MAGNAFLOW, K&N 77 SERIES CAI, TRANSGO HD-2, VETTE SERVO, AUBURN LSD, NGK TR-5, PLUG WIRES, 4-5 DROP, TRU-COOL 40K, STREET PERF SHOCKS.

Idn that seems to hot, my 80e only gets up to 150 driving around town and around 140 on the highway. Towing 6500lbs is around 200.

I talked to a guy at nelson performance and he said to take the radiator cooler out of the loop. He also said to redrill the holes in the VB plate to the biggest one, .120. I drilled mine at .86 because the instructions said that it was average and good for HD trucks. I'm also going to check my line pressure and see what its doing.

With a small or larger stall converter, we drill the holes out to .120, like Ray mentioned when you spoke to him.
    The shifts are gonna hit firm and quick after that, assuming the rest of the trans is in good working order and you installed everything else correctly.
    We just did my stock 80e and anything over mid throttle it'll bark the 22's pretty damn good and at wot it'll spin a second and kick the ass end a little; just perfect for me.
    Once I get my converter back in (2800yank), it'll be just right.
    Transgo's definition of the .120" hole should be called = Just right for trucks

Ray's correct on bypassing the trans cooler in the radiator. We used to run them that way, but if a trans is on the warm side we bypass.

Josh im having the same problem, came across this old thread and tried bypassing the radiator and still runns sluggish. Did you ever get yours running right?

+ Reply to Thread