+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brake options on an OBS.

Brake options on an OBS.

I keep hearing rumors that the spindle from a NBS (6-lug) can be swapped into an OBS to facilitate bigger brakes on an OBS. Cant seem to run them to ground. Optionally, is there a hub that will bolt on to the OBS that will accept a rotor/hat from a NBS and allow me to fab up a caliper mount to order? Any other options that dont require a 2nd on the house to get bigger/better brakes on the front of my truck?

Anyone?

ttt

i may have started that rumor, i put the question out there because i had the idea while looking at a nbs spindle. i pulled measurements and it should work, but i am still gathering all the parts. ill let you know how it goes, but i have found that even the nbs master cyl will mount on our old vac boosters
    1993 GMC Yukon GT, 6.0 vortec, head work, no cats, cai, HpTuned by me, jasper lvl2 4l65e, nbs brake conversion

I had a thought last night. If I could find engineered drawings of our front suspension (with all the measurements) and those of a C-6 vette, its possible that we could use our stock LCAs, the vette uprights, and the vette UCAs with slightly relocated upper A-arm mounts and get the big C-6 brakes and calipers and a pretty cool looking UCA. And our unsprung weight would improve too. Actually, getting the E drawings of a nbs would help too.

Something else I ran across; there seems to be a way to bolt the big Z06 brakes to an Impala SS spindle...............................

OK. Heres what i found so far. The front inner and outer bearings from a 95 Impala SS, are the same as the 88-89 (maybe even thru 91) C-1500 non-HD spindle. If any one has the length of either of these spindle shafts, please post up. KORE3 has a hub for the 95 Impala SS that has the 5X5 bolt pattern we need for our trucks. Then all we'd need to do is come up with a caliper bracket. And the NBS crowd is using 16" rotors with the ZO6 calipers, so there are some possibilities....

Quote Originally Posted by ccreddell View Post
    OK. Heres what i found so far. The front inner and outer bearings from a 95 Impala SS, are the same as the 88-89 (maybe even thru 91) C-1500 non-HD spindle. If any one has the length of either of these spindle shafts, please post up. KORE3 has a hub for the 95 Impala SS that has the 5X5 bolt pattern we need for our trucks. Then all we'd need to do is come up with a caliper bracket. And the NBS crowd is using 16" rotors with the ZO6 calipers, so there are some possibilities....
    I am picking up parts to put 99-07 brakes on my 94 Z71. Not sure what info will transfer related to the 2WD trucks, or what machine work will be required to get the caliper on the 88-99 knuckle. I got knuckles and bearings on Friday, should be getting 2004 calipers and rotors today.

I don't consider going from an iron caliper to ANY aluminum caliper as an upgrade. If there wasn't such a big weight penalty for the Vette crowd, they'd use stiffer iron calipers too. If you use your truck like a truck, you want iron.

Q. While the master will fit our boosters, has anybody tried to go to a NBS booster or NBS hydro boost? I am looking for better brake feel, I hate the spongy dead spot that the stock booster has. I am spoiled by the more immediate pedal response of the newer vehicles, and want to get my truck to be more like that. I've done braided lines, Hawk Pads, and bled to crap out of the system. It's "better" but I still don't like it.
    Mike
    http://kds-performance.com
    94 Silverado Z71 SCLB 4.8L LR4 Daily Driver
    93 GMC Sierra 2WD LS V8 Swap dun, run, rusted, stripped & junked
    1979 Caprice Coupe - LS Swapped - 11.76@115.8

when you get it figured out maybe you could do a write up for the front page on it? lots of pics too.
    1996 gmc ext cab short bed
    6.6L 4l80e
    MY GARAGE

Quote Originally Posted by 567234ta View Post
    when you get it figured out maybe you could do a write up for the front page on it? lots of pics too.
    Just remembered that the 2500's and 3500 trucks used the 88-99 1500 bodies, so there are bolt in hydroboost units available for my truck.

I got the 99-07 brakes a few days ago, but I am 13 timezones away from them for the next week. It's a winter project to do the mockup, so it will be a little while before I get anywhere beyond a quickie mockup when I get home.
    Mike
    http://kds-performance.com
    94 Silverado Z71 SCLB 4.8L LR4 Daily Driver
    93 GMC Sierra 2WD LS V8 Swap dun, run, rusted, stripped & junked
    1979 Caprice Coupe - LS Swapped - 11.76@115.8

+ Reply to Thread