+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 6.0 swap, getting a ticking noise. please step in

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyLee View Post
    Pop the front cover off then. Look at the timing chain. What year motor is it? Do you have oil pressure? Did you check the springs and valves on the heads?
    the motor is an 02 w/36k on it, the oil pressure seems great. No fluctuation or anything, and the valves and springs on the heads are good. i'm just completely stumped.

'00 T/A WS6 M6 - GONE!!!!
    '04 Chevy Silverado ECSB -LQ4/80e swapped, 799 heads, Comp 212/218 114lsa, TSP LS6 oil pump, LS1 e-fans, LPP LT's, ORY, Magnaflow muffler, and a slighty tweaked tune

Man ive heard this before but to me it kinda sounds like a exhaust leak do you have headers i had to double gasket mine it sounded justlike it...imo Does it have a miss or anything?
    2003 GMC SIERRA
    EXCSB 2002 LS1
    MTI X1 cam,LT,CAI,Efans,2600,SI/SO 3'' Magnahoe

Almost impossible to tell what it is by the video...too much sound going on. Get your long screwdriver or breaker bar and put it to your ear and touch different parts of the engine while running. You will track it down in no time.

Are you sure that the sound isnt coming from the accessory drive assembly? Kinda sounds like it to me. I was gonna mention piston slap (a known issue on '01-'02 motors) but it doesnt really seem like the same sound. May be related tho.

Does it only do this when it's cold, or after it's up to temp too?

Quote Originally Posted by 1fstsierra View Post
    Man ive heard this before but to me it kinda sounds like a exhaust leak do you have headers i had to double gasket mine it sounded justlike it...imo Does it have a miss or anything?
    What ever the ticking is, its causing false knock. I changed out the plug wires and it still didn't change anything

Quote Originally Posted by Mang213 View Post
    Are you sure that the sound isnt coming from the accessory drive assembly? Kinda sounds like it to me. I was gonna mention piston slap (a known issue on '01-'02 motors) but it doesnt really seem like the same sound. May be related tho.
    I pulled all the belts and it still has the sound, my tensioners are alittle loose so I have to look into new ones though.

Does it only do this when it's cold, or after it's up to temp too?
    Both, but its most noticeable when its warm

'04 Chevy Silverado ECSB -LQ4/80e swapped, 799 heads, Comp 212/218 114lsa, TSP LS6 oil pump, LS1 e-fans, LPP LT's, ORY, Magnaflow muffler, and a slighty tweaked tune

Quote Originally Posted by RidinLow94 View Post
    What ever the ticking is, its causing false knock. I changed out the plug wires and it still didn't change anything

I pulled all the belts and it still has the sound, my tensioners are alittle loose so I have to look into new ones though.

Both, but its most noticeable when its warm
    I think you may be on the right track with replacing those tensioners. Ive heard bad pulleys and tensioners sound like that before, but who knows. At least once you replace them you know you'll be safe on that end. How long was that motor sitting before you got it installed (from truck to truck, not just since youve had it)?

I think you may be on the right track with replacing those tensioners. Ive heard bad pulleys and tensioners sound like that before, but who knows. At least once you replace them you know you'll be safe on that end. How long was that motor sitting before you got it installed (from truck to truck, not just since youve had it)?
    I know its not the tensioners causing it but you are right and they will get replaced. I bought the motor back in march and it was already taken down (heads and acces off). I dont remember how long he said he had it, so i'm not really sure how long its been sitting around. i have a mechanic buddy coming by today to run some checks and then I'll be pulling the cam, oil pump, and timing chain. Unfortunately a stock cam will be going in for now, but its brand new. It was in my brothers surplus motor, he swapped in a TR220 b4 it evenwent in the truck LOL. But I'm putting a double roller and a ported LS6 oil pump on, so i'll be ready for my cam when i get it I just reeeeeeeeeaaaaallly hope this issue I'm having isn't on the bottom end. But it really sounds like its coming from the timing chain and echoing through the motor.

Yeah it seems like it's a 'surface' issue as opposed to requiring a tear down. It's always tough to tell what could be wrong when a motor's been sitting for a while. Keep us posted on what you find and good luck

well, rummaging through the old lifters I found 2 that were chewed up on the roller. I'm not sure which cylinder it came out of though, but with them being that bad the cam has to be as well.

I'll take some pics and post when i'm done

+ Reply to Thread