+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HPT newbie

HPT newbie

I just ordered the software today. I have a 2500 with a 6.0L a 215/223 .604/.610 112LSA cam and 799 heads to bring my compression up to just over 10:1. I read to add 4 to each airflow cell as a starting point. I haven't ordered the wideband yet. Just wondering if there are any other starting points i can change just to get me in the ball park
    Thanks

With that much lsa it will be a challenge to tune. You also may want to consider getting a converter based on your usage. You will also want to start w/ your idle at about 1200 rpm, and lower your idle airflow table, as well as lower your lower rpm airflow as that cam will be less eficient at low rpms than the stock one, you will want to leave your stock curves, it will be less headache that way. You may also want to add some fuel to the top end. theres much more but that will get you started.

Justin.
    Last edited by mrfister; 08-25-2010 at 04:07 PM.

Converter is kinda out of the question, I mainly use the truck for towing. According to comp the cam is designed for low end torque. I know that sounds odd with the LSA. I believe it has 7 degrees advance ground into it. It runs fine with the stock tune. Just feels like it has a lot more to give. Thanks for the advise on the airflow tables

Quote Originally Posted by bowtietommy View Post
    Converter is kinda out of the question, I mainly use the truck for towing. According to comp the cam is designed for low end torque. I know that sounds odd with the LSA. I believe it has 7 degrees advance ground into it. It runs fine with the stock tune. Just feels like it has a lot more to give. Thanks for the advise on the airflow tables
    Then it isnt a 112 LSA. It's a 112+7

1969 Chevy RCLB C10 350/TH400 SOLD
    2007 Chevy RCSB 4.8 4x4 LS SOLD
    2008 Chevy RCSB 5.3 4x4 LT SOLD
    2010 Chevy CCSB 6.2 4x4 LT SOLD
    2005 GMC CCLB DRW 6.6 Duramax 4x4 191,000 and counting
    2013 FORD CCSB F350 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4

Well here's the cam specs http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...csid=1399&sb=0 I wasn't really looking for correct terminology on the cam specs, but more advise on tuning

I am by far not an expert, but I am installing a gmpp asa cam that is a 112 lsa and I don't think I am good enough to tune it so I think I am going to have it dyno tuned, I just hope I can find a place to do it around here okc,ok. I will definately pass on anything I learn along the way, also any knowledge I get from the dyno shop.
    Last edited by mrfister; 08-26-2010 at 04:22 PM.

Oh yeah almost forgot check out Yank converters for a tow converter that is where I got mine and they are great and very knowledgeable and very friendly

Thanks for the help. I'll check out the converters. Keep me posted on what you find out on your tune. Thanks

Here's a tip: with any cam similar to the gm asa cam (like jon@np has), sd tune it. it'll be a lot more stable.
    also, i'm a big believer in tuning out mods, but with such a big cam, or any cam, it's ok to drill a hole in the throttle body. it'll stabilize the idle, keep it from surging, help the a/c load and a cleaner startup, just like we all did in the old days lol.
    1/8" hole works well with the gm asa cam, as a start.

also, that cam doesn't make any vacuum, it idles around 70kpa, so a assist vac helps a lot!

thanks for the advise. By SD tune I assume you mean speed density, sorry im really new to tuning. So turn the MAF off, or leave it on but tune based off of MAP values? Sorry if its a dumb question

+ Reply to Thread