+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Debating between lq9 or lm7

if your planning on doing some work and not a "drop in" I'd do a LQ4 with L92 heads, a cam, and a good tune. Magazine articles, for what they're worth, put that combo around 500hp. Also cheaper and less work than turning a 5.3 into a 5.7. Also keeps your compression some what boost friendly. Just my $.02

If I were to go with a 5.3 which one would be best to work with? LM7, LM4, LY5, L33 etc etc as there are a bunch to choose from. Which heads would work best with the app.
    Thanks

L33, if you aren't wanting to punch it out. But then again most places want what a LQ4 would cost for the L33.

Okay as I just found out on freight shipping to hawaii is pretty outrageous and the ones I've spoken to on ebay do not ship here. So my best bet is to search here in local yards. I've located a 5.3 but no 6.0 as they are harder to come by at the bone yards. So now things have been narrowed down for me, instead of boring a 5.3 what would be the best set up? I'm planning on getting a ls6 intake, cam for spray, but what would the best heads be? I've heard l92 or ls6 ported were they way to go but just open to others opinions.
    Thanks

l92's wont fit 5.3's get 243 or 799's there the same head.
    74 Austin Morris Mini 1000 - Daily Coil Spring conversion, lowered, Disc Brake conversion
    FOR SALE: 04 RC/LB Duramax -12 second tow pig, built Allison, Tune, and supporting mods
    FOR SALE: 03 Silverado SS -DBRods built 40X, DP, Suspension. Going for fast

what do you have right now? The L92's will out flow the 243's. You would need a rectangular port intake manifold, and yes they wont fit on the 5.3. L92's also have bigger combustion chambers so it depends on if you wanna stay n/a or ever plan on some boost.

What would be a decent set up for the LQ9? Just wanting input vs on what I plan since wife approved to just get it shipped and get it over with.
    -FAST intake
    -cam (spec unsure yet but any advice would help)
    -heads either milled and resurfaced or aftermarket l92
    Being this, what would i be looking at to the wheels?

I'd go with the L92 heads. Make sure the intake you order is for whatever style head you decide to go with. Do a quick google search for "lq9 with l92 heads". There's been quite a few magazine write ups on that set up. They also usually list cam specs. Your exact cam specs will depend on your final setup and your intended usage i.e. daily driver, towing, race only, street strip. Oh and by the way, congrats on getting the wife's approval

Thanks, I'll look into it

LQ9 with milled 243's and a edelbrock proflow intake or a FAST intake. Mill the heads .030 and get a mid 23x duration cam. It will get you 500rwhp and be very streetable...

+ Reply to Thread