+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to tell?

How to tell?

How can you tell if a U-joint is going bad? Every once in a great while, it feels like something is sticking on take off. I'll give it some gas to start going and it won't do anything at first, then it kind of jerks and all is well til the next time. Can bad U-joints cause this? Also, when I shift into reverse I get a little clunk from the rear end.
    Last edited by medic2967; 07-07-2010 at 10:10 AM.
    2010 Silverado ECSB LS 4x4. Only mods so far are a K&N drop in filter and a Rough Country 2" front level kit

Man it kinda sounds like the rear end has something goin on. U-joints usually just clunk when put in gear and then cause vibration when cruising.
    RUN WAT U BRUNG!!!!

^^^What he said.
    "ALisSa1 Silverado"
    1990 Chevrolet RCSB 2002 Chevrolet Camaro LS1/4L60E
    Scrimpin Ain't Easy
    ( . Y . )

There has to be a SLIGHT clunk when you put in reverse AFTER drive, if there is always a clunk when driving then there is something up, it usually is normal as the driveshaft/yoke/u-joint have play in between, if they didn't have play then you would already have replaced it..
    Cars and mods:
    00 F-150 SVT SOLD 11/30
    97 Eclipse GSX

Pretty easy to check u-joints too, truck in park attempt to turn the driveshaft by hand and see if there is any play. Worn u-joints are a constant noise and vibration though as stated above.
    2006 Silverado
    Little Black Bitch

+ Reply to Thread