+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 6.0 vs 8.1 swap in G30 motorhome

6.0 vs 8.1 swap in G30 motorhome

Figuring out my budget - so any input you have is highly appreciated.

So I'm going to do a swap, this I'm convinced of. Putting another low performance 350 in my baby (22' Class C Lazy Daze) is not an option. Doing 40mph up a 6-7% grade sucks worse than you can imagine.

The only question is... big block or small block?

The 6.0 looks pretty easy to drop wire and fire but one of my buddies suggested I look at the L18.
    My rig already has a 4L80E so the only real headaches I have to deal with are motor related.

Any pros/cons of one vs the other? If I go with the 6.0 the only mod I really want to do is a cam and maybe headers, the closer to stock I can stay the better.

I know the 8.1 smashes the 6.0 in terms of torque but I am not aware of fitment issues, fuel economy, etc (I would think the LQ4 would be better but hauling such a heavy load all the time who knows). I know for sure the TBI 454 fits because that was an available option for my rig, but I don't know how that translates to the Gen VII motor.

Thanks!
    1991 Lazy Daze 22FL
    350 TBI - 40mph pass climbing POS
    4L80E begging for more TQ

I hope this isnt taboo or frowned upon here, but what about a 6.5TD?

6.0 all the way unless you have the dough for a duramax. 6.5TD is not a step forward.
    99RCSB Broke because I wasted thousands and thousands of dollars on my truck.

It's a motorhome, needs torque. 8.1 The 6.0 would have to work that much harder so it would pretty much eat up the fuel mileage difference. Why not a Cummins? And old 6bt should be an easy swap
    2006 Silverado
    Little Black Bitch

I'd do a Cummins before I did an 8.1. Chevy dropped it for a reason.

Well if diesel is a option I would definitely go with the duramax better mileage and torque out the wazu, but if your going to stay gasoline I would go with 8.1 don.t think your going to see a big difference with the 6.0. Motor, but if your really going to make a big change Duramax all the way, better mileage and lots of power, which would make more since in the long run considering gas is going back up.

If diesel was an option I'd seriously consider it.

However this swap needs to be emissions legal (at least be able to pass a tailpipe sniffer).
    1991 Lazy Daze 22FL
    350 TBI - 40mph pass climbing POS
    4L80E begging for more TQ

I'm not thinking you would have any emission issues

Quote Originally Posted by zeake View Post
    I'd do a Cummins before I did an 8.1. Chevy dropped it for a reason.
    what he said. The cummins is an amazing motor and you can pick up the 12 valve ones pretty cheap and they'll go 500k miles no problem.
    1997 4runner
    1978 Jeep CJ7 with a 2002 5.3 engine

Quote Originally Posted by collin View Post
    what he said. The cummins is an amazing motor and you can pick up the 12 valve ones pretty cheap and they'll go 500k miles no problem.
    And most likely pass emissions. Most diesel forums can answer the emissions questions. Plus it is leagl to upgrade to newer model engines you just have to retain all emission stuff from that year model engine. I know that will get you pass a sniffer.

+ Reply to Thread