+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need a new muffler suggestion!

Need a new muffler suggestion!

Alright about 3 weeks ago I installed some ceramic pacesetter Lts with their Y pipe and I already had a flowmaster american thunder system I think its called where it exits infront of the rear tire with I think the 40 series muffler and needless to say I now see why most of you here say flowmasters sound like crap on silverados because I really cant take it anymore I feel like it has no tone and its all rasp. So now I need suggestions and Im open to all suggestions on a new muffler set up. I like loud but not totally obnoxious loud just something where people will hear you coming and I would like to find something with a deeper tone. I was looking at magnaflow but I wanted to get some opinions on which one to get since they seem to have alot of different options. I know I need something with a 3in inlet and dont really want to go smaller than 2.5 on the outlet and most likley I will just dump it before the rear axle. Ive tried looking on youtube but its hard to get an idea of what anything sounds like because of the sound quality so any suggestions would be awesome!

A 14' case magnaflow would be loud but not obnoxious. I had one and the only down side was it had rasp from 3K+
    Axekick tuned, Pacesetters, Servo.

i had a magnaflow 12198 (single 3 in, dual 2.5 out) on my truck dumped before the axle, it was a nice tone at idle and sounded pretty mean at WOT, but if you were just put-putting around it sounded like it was sputtering.

i now have a magnaflow 12579 (3 in, 3 out) carried over the rear axle. it has a good tone at idle, sounds great at WOT, and when just crusing around there is ZERO drone inside the cab.

this is from my experience, but find an exhaust that you like the sound of and ask them for a ride so you can hear it first hand and not off a video. it will save you time and money.

im in love with the hooker areo chamber sound awsome but i also have LT's full 3" exhaust with an X
    Mods:
    Maybe STOCK
    "My lugnuts require more torque than your ricer is ever going to produce"
    Sleep: That Stuff Is Overrated
    "You don't care what it is, or who makes it, as long as they race it. You my friend are a true Gear Head!" (Drew Anderson)
    Who's the real culprit of Obeisity: video games because their scared of physical activities, or Pillsbury for being so delicious?

The flowmaster I have now rasps down low sounds alright from 3k on but thats it any other time it doesnt sound that good at all. And mine does the whole sputtering sound while just putting around. Thats something id like to get rid of. I hate that. I do really like the sound of the magnaflows as long as they are semi loud. Thanks for the replys! Keep em comin!

On the 2000 I had Pacesetters, ORY with a 4x9 case Magnaflow. After the Pacesetters it had a lot of rasp. I added a Bullet in front of it, and it took out all the rasp and sounded great IMO.
    The 08 has Pacesetters and ORY with the next to biggest 3" I/O Magnaflow offered and sounds good WOT, but is nice and quiet while cruising.
    The '99 has OBX (eBay) LTs, ORY to a flowmaser something or other cat back (was on the truck when I got it) Pretty sure its a 3 chamber, but its surprisingly quiet, and actually doesn't sound bad at all IMO
    2000 RCSB Z-71 6l swap 12.8 Gone but not forgotten

2008 CCSB "tow truck" Slooowwww
    1999 RCSB "WRK TRK" 4.late but getting there.

sorry not meaning to thread jack you, but out of curiosity what is the loudest muffler magnaflow offers?

No worries of thread jacking thats actually a very good question! I wonder the same thing

Axekick tuned, Pacesetters, Servo.

Quote Originally Posted by GRsilverado View Post
    sorry not meaning to thread jack you, but out of curiosity what is the loudest muffler magnaflow offers?
    You want loud. Pypes Violaters. I had a set on my truck and had to take them off to loud.

+ Reply to Thread