+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: HIDs or HIRs??

HIDs or HIRs??

so i'm swapping over to a set of OEM Denali headlights and am still trying to decide whether or not to go with an HID kit or just use some HIR bulbs for my low beams. highs are already decided - HIRs because i rarely have them on very long (not that i used them much anyway), and the quick switching would kill an HID ballast.

i've learned that the Denali projectors are designed for halogen bulbs, so with that in mind, i was leaning towards the HIRs as well, but after some more reading, some people talk about using HIDs in the OEM projectors and not having bad glare problems - even with the halogen reflector bowl. that got me to wanting an HID setup for the even-more-than-HIR amount of light. my consideration would be for either a 6000K, 55W set or a 5000K, 35W set: mostly white, but with a tinge of blue. for the guys using HIDs in their Denali projectors, have you had any issues with heat at all? i ask because my projector housings have some small cracks in them (just like every other used set i found, but i can't really complain about a full set in otherwise great shape for $75!). i ain't got any experience with HIDs, so i don't know too awful much about the logistics of them other than the stuff i've read around some forums.

any input y'all've got would be really appreciated, and if anybody's got pictures of OEM Denali lights with any of the aforementioned setups (HIR 9011, 6000K 55W, or 5000K 35W), please post them as a comparison.

thanks,
    ~zebra
    00 FRC - just top end, exhaust, and a hot-air intake
    99 Sierra - 5.3 / 5spd
    ↓ click the pic for the build ↓

Get ahold of bangbangskeetskeet, he can answer any q's about hids and give u a great deal on a set of dependable hids not eBay grap
    Today 03:25 am 6 stringer o thats a good point, its ok ill just add a blinker fluid cooler
    Today 03:24 AMtruckinL33 that's not a good place for it, you can overheat your blinker fluid with the capacitor
    Today 03:23 AMtruckinL33 i need them for when i go back to 1985
    Today 03:23 AM6stringer i mounted my flux capacitor next to my blinker fluid resevoir
    Today 03:22 AMtruckinL33 me too, right next to my flux compasator!
    Today 03:22 AM6stringer hey gear oil needs to be cooled, i have front and rear diff coolers

I'd go 35w if you're concerned at all about heat.
    2001 GMC Sierra SL ECSB - Project
    2012 Honda Civic Si - DD
    2009 GMC Sierra SLT ECSB - Sold

ive had HIDs on my Denalis projectors for over two years now. No problem here.

Quote Originally Posted by 6stringer View Post
    Get ahold of bangbangskeetskeet, he can answer any q's about hids and give u a great deal on a set of dependable hids not eBay grap
    will do. i definitely wasn't gonna bother with eGay crap. i was looking at the DDMTuning sets - they're cheap, but i've heard good things about them & they have a lifetime warranty.

i did, however, find a nice-lookin set of glass corner lenses on eGay that'll match my Denails & replace my yellered-out (one of them) plastic set

Quote Originally Posted by gTeran1 View Post
    ive had HIDs on my Denalis projectors for over two years now. No problem here.
    what wattage?
    99 Sierra - 5.3 / 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by zebra View Post

what wattage?
    35w

My denali to the left, 8k 35w
    My silvy to the right with 12k 35w

Quote Originally Posted by zebra View Post
    i was looking at the DDMTuning sets - they're cheap, but i've heard good things about them & they have a lifetime warranty.
    Yeah, you get what you pay for too. Shitty product and shitty customer service. I actually ended up paying the extra money to get new kits from Christian and Travis because DDM was so terrible. They promised me they'd pay shipping, then only sent me an email with the address to send it to. They sent the wrong bulbs twice. only 3/4 of the ballasts actually worked.

1969 Chevy RCLB C10 350/TH400 SOLD
    2007 Chevy RCSB 4.8 4x4 LS SOLD
    2008 Chevy RCSB 5.3 4x4 LT SOLD
    2010 Chevy CCSB 6.2 4x4 LT SOLD
    2005 GMC CCLB DRW 6.6 Duramax 4x4 191,000 and counting
    2013 FORD CCSB F350 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by gTeran1 View Post
    My denali to the left, 8k 35w
    My silvy to the right with 12k 35w

thanks for the pic.

ps - that white balance is so off, the 8000Ks look white

Quote Originally Posted by pl4yboy View Post
    Yeah, you get what you pay for too. Shitty product and shitty customer service. I actually ended up paying the extra money to get new kits from Christian and Travis because DDM was so terrible. They promised me they'd pay shipping, then only sent me an email with the address to send it to. They sent the wrong bulbs twice. only 3/4 of the ballasts actually worked.

thanks for the warning
    99 Sierra - 5.3 / 5spd

I love happy customers! Very good advertising Out of around 150+- kits I have sold, only 2 of them have come back with issues. One was the customer admitted to touching the bulb and the other was a ballast actually was bad. Replaced under the warranty and no problems since. The 8Ks in gTeran1's pic look more like my 5Ks and the 12K look like my 8Ks. If you need more information PM or e-mail Travis or I.
    cjriojas:if you're weather man is a 5 gallon bucket, YOUUUUUUUUUUU might be a redneck
    danger_ranger83: I see now why it cost so much to get a harness made... FML
    2boostedSilverado: I like Casey's rear end, I want to chat with him about it

+ Reply to Thread