+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wheels and tires

wheels and tires

I need some practical experience with large wheels and tires. I've always had 14" or 15" wheels on all my cars/trucks in the past. My wife's car has 18's from the factory so that doesn't count. My truck has 17's from the factory. I have a set of 17's on my '77 Ventura, but it might never see the light of day again because I'll never get it painted.

First and foremost this is a daily driver.

I will be dropping my truck 4/6 in the next week or two and need new shoes. In addition to the drop I'll be adding Hotchkis swaybars, removing the spare, adding a Class III hitch and rollpan.

I like the look of 20's and am thinking of running a 275/45 or 285/40 if I get a set. I know that this will affect both acceleration and braking performance. How much? I also don't want to affect fuel mileage too much since it already get absolutely terrible MPG.

17's seem to be the lightest weight, but will have over 6" of side wall to flex. Does anyone make a 305/50R17 for the rear?

18's might be a good compromise, but are not any cheaper than 20's

I plan on keeping my stock 17" steelies and put some Blizzak's on for the winter months, so big brake kit is out of the question. Beside my wife is already pretty pissed that I've spent almost $7000 on performance parts since I bought it about 4.5 months ago. I still have to do an engine swap too.

OK, so I just let a super deal on a set of 20's go on ebay because they weigh 40+ lbs each. I am also letting another awesome deal on a set of 20's with tires for only $475 go because I can't see adding 20 to 30 lbs per wheel/tire. Anyone make a light weight wheel for our trucks? Even 17" stockers weigh too much. I need to get wheels/tires next week!!!

Anyone???

I'm looking for something that is around 50# total. Looking for a 29"+/- tall combo that will look decent and handle well for the summer months. A factory 20 combo goes around 80#. A stock 16"-17" steelie with a bias drag tire goes around 35#.

This deal seems almost too good to pass up though. I'd have a 2+ hour drive each way to get them.

Chrome 20 inch rims sale or trade REDUCED

my buddy has the same set of wheels. the chrome is very thin on them and pits very easily. also they are pretty hard to keep clean because of the design. any 20" wheel is going to be heavy. what most do on here is have a set of nice rims for everyday and then throw a set of drag radials on the stockers. the ones that have gone all out drag truck have very expensive bogarts and such or are running 15 or 16" rims...
    2005 GMC RST *sold
    2006 Silverado SS with nawz

I don't plan on drag racing the truck. That is what I have my street/strip blazer for. I have my eye on a set of powder coated 18" Titan wheels.

+ Reply to Thread