+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 4L60E to 4L80E conversion in a GMT900

i have a cammed and milled head 6.2 in my 08 CCSB now, im trying to decide what transmission to run. either a performabuilt LVL 3 or a stock 80e with a shift kit and a 3400 stall. im going 4:10s anyways, but i need to decide what tranny im going to run before i have a custom driveshaft made....

do you do a lot of 0-100 races or 30-100 races?
    2008 GMC CCSB 6.2/6L80e swap
    Gen IV 5.3/60e swap 1994 ecsb W/T

Do you have a cost breakdown? I think my 65 is just about toast.

...and what's Pita?

pita = pain in the azz

Quote Originally Posted by keniff View Post
    honestly are you happy with the way the 80e is vs the 60e? do you street race or just race it at the track?
    I drive the converted trucks all the time, and we've done dozens of them, I can honestly say it's well worth the swap. The power loss is minimal, but the peace of mind is huge!!, knowing that the trans is gonna hold.

Quote Originally Posted by RedHeartbeat View Post
    Mine is a DD / weekend racer with a 3500 stall. The 80e takes some major abuse and keeps on ticking. My 60e behind the 4.8L was toast after only 40k miles. My only complaint about the 80e is the fact that the convertor unlocks on deceleration, with a loose 3500 stall it's a PITA.
    Why is that, something that can't be adjusted? Under the tcc values, is 0% throttle set to 255?

Quote Originally Posted by keniff View Post
    i have a cammed and milled head 6.2 in my 08 CCSB now, im trying to decide what transmission to run. either a performabuilt LVL 3 or a stock 80e with a shift kit and a 3400 stall. im going 4:10s anyways, but i need to decide what tranny im going to run before i have a custom driveshaft made....

do you do a lot of 0-100 races or 30-100 races?
    I'm done with "performance built transmissions" all together. After seeing what is actually upgraded and having more luck with stock shiftkitted 80e's...
    With your setup a shiftkit in an 80e will be more than strong enough.

Update Red!

Just repinned two trucks here, they are working and shifting.
    Thanks for the write up!

Sweetness. You used the van TCM download with their stock PCM?
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

Quote Originally Posted by farmtruc View Post
    Why is that, something that can't be adjusted? Under the tcc values, is 0% throttle set to 255?
    I'll try that. Funny thing is that it will unlock during coast. say you're going 70 on flat land and then you hit a small decline, the throttle backs down a little and the convertor unlocks. If you figure out how to keep it from doing that let me know. This is a common complaint of many 80e transmission owners.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

Ya, we have the GM TIS stuff, just used the vin and flashed a tcm, bamm, it worked.
    Repinning the module is easy.
    I didn't even try to tune the truck yet, the engine side was tuned already, it's still running on the stock 80e cal, i'll try tomorrow.

I'll check into that tcc lockup issue, i know what you're talking about, the avalanche does it, but i set it up like that, I like to free coast when i'm off the throttle, funny how one mans complaint is another...

Don't you just love it when someone else works out all the bugs for you?

Just finished my swap. Everything worked flawlessly. Thank you for the info.

+ Reply to Thread