+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Blew the sun shell. 4L60e

I am almost certain that all 60es that came in the 1/2 ton trucks had the deep filter. Other vehicles such as the F-body, H3, and Colorado that are equipped with the 4L60e had the slim filter.

If you have never done a tranny before, you might either need to read up on the rebuild of one or have someone around who has successfully torn into one. There are special tools required to set the tolerances of the 3/4 clutch pack and the pump.

2000 ECSB 6.0L
    TORQUER V2 CAM ● COMP 918's ● 7.4 HARDENED PUSHRODS ● K&N SERIES 77 CAI ● 80mm BBK ●PACESETTER LT HEADERS AND 3'' ORY ● SUPER 40 FLOW ● 3000 STALL ● 4.10s ● BUILT 80e ● VORTEC PERFORMANCE TUNE ● MSD 8.5mm PLUG WIRES● ELEC. CUTOUT ● UD & ALT PULLEYS ● FLEX-A-LITE E-FANS ● 22" CENTERLINE STINGRAY III's ● LUND FIBERGLASS TONNEAU ● 2" LEVELING SHACKLES ● 12K HID LOWS & FOGS ● LEDs ● DEBADGED ● WHITE-FACED ESCALADE GAUGES ● KICKER 450.1 ● 2-CVR 10's ● DS60's ● K693's

I ordered a HD-2 and beast sun shell last night, so they are on the way.
    I have the ATSG book and I have the pump remover/installer tool and the output shaft holder. I have been trying to collect 4L60e tools from eBay in anticipation of one day doing one of these.
    If I get in and decide to do a complete rebuild I will find the other tools.
    What about a Sonnax super hold 4th servo? worth it? Can get one for around $60 looks like.

Oh cool! You have those tools. Good call.

In all honesty, I wouldn't waste the money on one. It just gives you a more firm 3-4 shift. Not really needed...unless you had like 5.88 gears and you ran the truck at the track all of the time and you needed good shift pressures at WOT from 3-4...since you'd be shifting into OD before the end of the 1/4 mile. The Corvette Servo you have will be just fine.

2000 ECSB 6.0L
    TORQUER V2 CAM ● COMP 918's ● 7.4 HARDENED PUSHRODS ● K&N SERIES 77 CAI ● 80mm BBK ●PACESETTER LT HEADERS AND 3'' ORY ● SUPER 40 FLOW ● 3000 STALL ● 4.10s ● BUILT 80e ● VORTEC PERFORMANCE TUNE ● MSD 8.5mm PLUG WIRES● ELEC. CUTOUT ● UD & ALT PULLEYS ● FLEX-A-LITE E-FANS ● 22" CENTERLINE STINGRAY III's ● LUND FIBERGLASS TONNEAU ● 2" LEVELING SHACKLES ● 12K HID LOWS & FOGS ● LEDs ● DEBADGED ● WHITE-FACED ESCALADE GAUGES ● KICKER 450.1 ● 2-CVR 10's ● DS60's ● K693's

The band probably won't look bad but there's no reason to re-use the old one. Don't get "over-replacement-over-mod" disease in there either if you don't have huge power mods and the trans lasted a long time the way it was built. There are so many things inside that rely on tolerances, etc. that get stacked out of whack when too many aftermarket parts are put in UNLESS the builder is experienced in the specific combinations. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Have you ever heard this about having to clearance the low roller clutch inner race to work with the beast sun shell?
    This DVD I am watching says to remove 1/32" to gain clearance for the beast.
    This is the only place I have seen this mentioned.

Haven't had time to mess with this yet. Traveling, work and other things getting in the way. That has given time for all my parts to come in luckily.

Just got home, so I am gonna go out and pull the pan and let the trans drain while I get everything ready to pull it and jump into this thing.

Good luck with it all!

2000 ECSB 6.0L

Pulled the pan and everything looked clean. No shavings, no chunks, bright red fluid. Looks promising. Unbolted some stuff got it ready to come out. Unfortunately that's as far as I've got. Have a funeral to go to in TX tomorrow.
    Last edited by PitchBlackC3; 02-11-2010 at 02:14 AM.

Good news! Should be able to just go in and replace the broken parts and install the shift kit, band, etc.

WOW--is that your C3 in your new sig pic? If so--NIIIIIIICE!

2000 ECSB 6.0L

Yep, that's it:

Had this truck for 2.5 years. 18 months of that I was deployed and the other has been getting it to where it is now.

+ Reply to Thread