+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How long before oil change with syn?

If your fuel econ starts to drop that means friction.

I run M1 syn in everything and change it @ 5K regardless. I put 33K miles on a Blown 383 strocker and the cylinders still looked like it came out of the machine shop.
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...dited-copy.jpg
    2007 Sierra crew 5.3 4wd, stock for now
    2004 Sierra scsb 5.3 - sold
    02 Z28 SLP cold air pack, Corsa exh, Center Force dual friction + 23 lb flywheel
    66 Chevy C20 (collecting dust)

I also use M1 in everything, I was just stating that theres a noticeable difference in fuel econ when the oil is in need of changing

I use a oil analysis company called Black Stone labs. i had them do the Nissan Armada oil and they said to run it 12,500 before the change thats with RP 10w30. In the truck i have to keep a engine together long enough to worry about changing the oil. haha or just blow them up and refill the new one.
    Name: Mark,
    God created turbo lag so nitrous trucks could have a chance.

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post274877

I was told by a rep from general petrolium that when your fuel econ drops the friction modifier are being depleted and your going to long between oil changes.
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...dited-copy.jpg
    2007 Sierra crew 5.3 4wd, stock for now
    2004 Sierra scsb 5.3 - sold
    02 Z28 SLP cold air pack, Corsa exh, Center Force dual friction + 23 lb flywheel
    66 Chevy C20 (collecting dust)

Quote Originally Posted by gearheadnate View Post
    I was told by a rep from general petrolium that when your fuel econ drops the friction modifier are being depleted and your going to long between oil changes.
    Yes that is what I stated. When my oil needs changing, the fuel economy drops off.

We appear to be in agreement on this particular subject

I just change mine every 5K... works for me. No fuel economy drop off as of yet...
    2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
    -Gibson Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by ff_jeff View Post
    Well, if for no other reason... buy syn because its not crude. Its made in a lab, not pumped out of the desert, or ocean.[15]
    I used to think so too.

From Valvolines website:

Myth: Synthetic motor oils are man-made in a laboratory.

Reality: Synthetic motor oils use crude oils extracted from the earth which go through a synthesis process and use man-made additives in the creation of a final product.

Valvoline.com > Car Care > Motor Oil Myths
    99 C5 cam/boltons 400rwhp
    10 Sierra CC 6.2
    03 Suburban 5.3

Smile

True: Synthetic oil is better

Also True: Dirty oil is bad

The synthetic oils are typically a better base stock, cleaner and have better lube properties. However, when the oil begins to get dirty, it begins to cause wear. Period.
    99 C5 cam/boltons 400rwhp
    10 Sierra CC 6.2
    03 Suburban 5.3

mobil one in everything i own. and still change it every 3k. look guys, most of us have a lot of time and money in our trucks engines. whats 50 bucks worth of oil compared. its just not worth getting cheap here.
    2005 crew cab, new crate lq9 with comp 212/218, 558/563 on 115 cam, 80mm t.b. coated long tubes, off road y, flowmaster cat back, dynomax bullet, ngk plugs, msd wires, k&n cold air kit, 4.10 gears, auburn pro lsd, transgo shift kit, nelson drive tune, trailblazer i-6 torque convertor, anzo lamps, ss front bumper, z71 tahoe rear bumper, debadged, kenwood touchscreen with headrest monitors, JL components, coaxials, sub, 5ch amp. bell tech 2/4 drop. 22x10 ss wheels with 285/35/22 bfgs.

+ Reply to Thread