+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to get started 4.8 to 5.3

Time to get started 4.8 to 5.3

OK Time to get started on this bad boy. Have never pulled an motor on this body still 2002. Better to pull the motor and trans in one piece or apart. Pulling the the 4.8 and the 4L60e and Putting in a 5.3 and a 4L80e. The 5.3 is getting a Magna Charger also. Got a lot of work to do.

If it was me, I'd take the tranny off first. Makes things more manageable.

Damn man--you've got some work ahead of you. But it is FUN work cause you are gunna have all kinds of it when you get finished.

2000 ECSB 6.0L
    TORQUER V2 CAM ● COMP 918's ● 7.4 HARDENED PUSHRODS ● K&N SERIES 77 CAI ● 80mm BBK ●PACESETTER LT HEADERS AND 3'' ORY ● SUPER 40 FLOW ● 3000 STALL ● 4.10s ● BUILT 80e ● VORTEC PERFORMANCE TUNE ● MSD 8.5mm PLUG WIRES● ELEC. CUTOUT ● UD & ALT PULLEYS ● FLEX-A-LITE E-FANS ● 22" CENTERLINE STINGRAY III's ● LUND FIBERGLASS TONNEAU ● 2" LEVELING SHACKLES ● 12K HID LOWS & FOGS ● LEDs ● DEBADGED ● WHITE-FACED ESCALADE GAUGES ● KICKER 450.1 ● 2-CVR 10's ● DS60's ● K693's

For sure it will be a lot of work. But in the long run I think I will be much happier with the truck. And I know it will pull a lot better. I have pulled a lot of motors but never on this body. I have a cherry picker and I hope all the tools needed to do the job. I like to pull all in one lick so I do not have to lift the trans in under the truck. But was not sure it could be done with just one guy. Never can get any help.

Damn man, that sucks that nobody will help ya. Its always more fun when you have a friend to help.

But if you've got only yourself, then I am sure you can pull it all out at once. I have personally have not done it, but I have heard about others who have.

You will need to get it in the air a pretty good ways before you can tilt the motor and tranny enough to get the tailhousing to not scrape the ground and for the oil pan to clear the crossmember. But then you have to watch out for the firewall...

Do you not have a tranny jack? They are worth their weight in gold...

2000 ECSB 6.0L
    TORQUER V2 CAM ● COMP 918's ● 7.4 HARDENED PUSHRODS ● K&N SERIES 77 CAI ● 80mm BBK ●PACESETTER LT HEADERS AND 3'' ORY ● SUPER 40 FLOW ● 3000 STALL ● 4.10s ● BUILT 80e ● VORTEC PERFORMANCE TUNE ● MSD 8.5mm PLUG WIRES● ELEC. CUTOUT ● UD & ALT PULLEYS ● FLEX-A-LITE E-FANS ● 22" CENTERLINE STINGRAY III's ● LUND FIBERGLASS TONNEAU ● 2" LEVELING SHACKLES ● 12K HID LOWS & FOGS ● LEDs ● DEBADGED ● WHITE-FACED ESCALADE GAUGES ● KICKER 450.1 ● 2-CVR 10's ● DS60's ● K693's

Remind me on monday I can the full GM procedure for ya if ya'd like
    2006 Silverado
    Little Black Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by sleeper1500 View Post
    Remind me on monday I can the full GM procedure for ya if ya'd like
    That would be cool THANKS. No trans jack. I am more worried about going back in than out as that 4L80e is so heavy. I built me 66 with no help so I am used to it. The only thing that kills me is getting hoods off and back on. I have floor jacks and air tools witch helps a lot. I just move kind of slow with my bad leg. Just take my time and think before I grab. Thanks Guys

You may have seen this already but just in case you didn't, take a look

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/front...rans-swap.html

The only parts that would frustrate me are the crossmember and the wiring. Good luck bro!

~ Forged engine of some type ~ Ball bearing turbo of an unconfirmed size ~ 4L8000 trans ~ Beefy fuel system ~

Quote Originally Posted by jetmech View Post
    You may have seen this already but just in case you didn't, take a look

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/front...rans-swap.html

The only parts that would frustrate me are the crossmember and the wiring. Good luck bro!
    THANKS Just read it. Best I can tell all I am missing is one plug for the other speed sensor. There was a link on here to a place that sold them but can not find it.

2000 Silverado ECSB- 5.3 CAI, Pacesetter LTs, ORY- Pipe, Magnaflow XL, E-fan, Ported T/B , Nelson Tuned, Built 4l60e, Circle D Stall, 3.42s G80, 2-4 Drop, Hertz Highs, Rockford 501s

2004 Buell XB12s

Quote Originally Posted by LamboDoNoMo View Post
    "Never give up, NEVER BACK DOWN!!!"

coming out with the motor is easy. going back in will be crazy lol. i had to pull my motor/tranny by myself in my OBS an im 250lbs an i had hell keeping my engine lift from tipping forward when the tail shaft got hung up. im going back with a long block then going from underneath with the tranny an finish everything else with the engine in the truck. i never have help anymore thanks to me being on ahift work an all my other friend being on straight days.

isnt there a peice that turns your floor jack into a tranny jack? or am i just dreaming? if not then make one if you have a welding machine
    2008 GMC CCSB 6.2/6L80e swap
    Gen IV 5.3/60e swap 1994 ecsb W/T

+ Reply to Thread