+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2006 4.3 to 5.3 Swap

2006 4.3 to 5.3 Swap

This is my swap, the current sticky covers the basics of the actual swap, and the wiring for the 99-02 trucks. Well 03-07 is a little more involved, especially since I am converting an automatic harness to a factory-ish 5 speed harness. 5 speed harnesses are impossible to find here and if I can find one the price is double that of an auto harness.

What makes this swap more involved than the 99-02 swap is the the DBW system, all V6 trucks are DBC up until 2008. It is much less of a headache to convert your truck over to Fly-by-wire than it is too make your harness and BCM function properly as DBC. I will add more to this part as I get to the actual conversion of my truck to DBW

Ok, now to convert your auto harness to a manual harness, this even applies if you already have a 4.8/5.3/6.0 4l60e and want to go T-56 or other manual. Basically it's not so much a conversion as it is deciding which wires need removed and replacing the 4l60e plug with a NV3500 plug or T-56 whichever route you go. I'm starting with the 3500 and going T-56 down the road.

Now it helps if you access to GM Tech Link (or whatever the hell its called) or AllData to get wiring diagrams and connector end views, if you don't you can purchase a factory service manual or a Haynes/Chilton book as a last resort.

This is the changes needed to be made on the 4l60e connection on the engine side harness.
    Gave Nathan (GasGuzzler) a call and he figured this out mostly, what is in bold is what needs to be changed or removed from your auto harness.

Transmission Range Switch Connector, Wiring Harness Side

Connector Part Information

Connector Part Information

• ASM Conn 12 F GT (BK)
    Pin
    Wire Color
    Circuit No.
    Function
    D- GN
    (Becomes) Clutch Start Switch Signal will go to clutch switch plug terminal D (may need other end moved in fuse block plug)
    2-3
    --
    --
    Not Used
    YE
    Transmission Range Switch Signal B
    BK/WH
    Transmission Range Switch Signal A
    GY
    Transmission Range Switch Signal C
    BK/WH
    Ground
    WH
    Transmission Range Switch Signal P
    L-GN
    Park Neutral Position Switch Signal
    GY
    Back-Up Lamp Supply Voltage move to reverse light switch terminal B
    PK
    Ignition 1 Voltage move to terminal A on reverse light switch plug
    PU
    Ignition 1 Voltage will go to clutch switch plug terminal C (may need other end moved in fuse block plug)

Manual Plug, engine harness side
    I will get a connector end view picture, it's in front of me as I type this

The 5speed plug has 6 pins

A - Purple - 420 - Cruise Control Release Switch

B - Brown/White - 379 - Clutch Pedal Posistion Signal

C - Pink - 639 - Ignition 1 Voltage

D - Dark Green - 1433 - Clutch Start Switch Signal

E - Brown - 441 - Ignition 3 Voltage

F - Grey - 48 - CPP Switch Signal

I will add more to this as I go, lots of pictures in a full write up style.
    Last edited by Frenchy; 12-17-2009 at 06:19 AM.
    2006 Silverado
    Little Black Bitch

what year model harness can i use with my 2003 just want to keep it simple a basic stock 5.3 swap and 4l60e and i havent been able to find a harness what years interchange with this

I'd try to find an '03 harness, mine's an '06 I'm using an '05 harness. Just as long as it has green and blue plugs at the PCM you should be fine, red and blue plugs its a 99-02
    2006 Silverado
    Little Black Bitch

Great to see this thread. I have the same year truck with the 4.3 and have been looking at what harness will work. The DBC thing was screwing me up. Anyways thanks for the thread can't what to see your write up.
    Last edited by Cruzerx; 10-30-2009 at 09:09 AM.

Do you have the swap done yet? I mean geez Devin whats the hold up?
    2000 Silverado ECSB- 5.3 CAI, Pacesetter LTs, ORY- Pipe, Magnaflow XL, E-fan, Ported T/B , Nelson Tuned, Built 4l60e, Circle D Stall, 3.42s G80, 2-4 Drop, Hertz Highs, Rockford 501s

2004 Buell XB12s

Quote Originally Posted by LamboDoNoMo View Post
    "Never give up, NEVER BACK DOWN!!!"

Over the winter I'm doing it, I want to have absolutely everything planned so I don't hit any stupid little snags, and I want to do the full build all at once, so that gives me time to save some cash and gather parts, well all I actually need right now is some nice stainless LT's. And as soon as mine's done I'm puting a 5.3 I'm building now in my brother's 91 K1500
    2006 Silverado
    Little Black Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by sleeper1500 View Post
    ...I want to have absolutely everything planned so I don't hit any stupid little snags...
    HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAAH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

(breath)

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Stupid Canadians...

Hey Devin...you must have missed the Memo AND the TPS report because you WILL hit stupid snags. Its just a part of a swap like that.

2000 ECSB 6.0L
    TORQUER V2 CAM ● COMP 918's ● 7.4 HARDENED PUSHRODS ● K&N SERIES 77 CAI ● 80mm BBK ●PACESETTER LT HEADERS AND 3'' ORY ● SUPER 40 FLOW ● 3000 STALL ● 4.10s ● BUILT 80e ● VORTEC PERFORMANCE TUNE ● MSD 8.5mm PLUG WIRES● ELEC. CUTOUT ● UD & ALT PULLEYS ● FLEX-A-LITE E-FANS ● 22" CENTERLINE STINGRAY III's ● LUND FIBERGLASS TONNEAU ● 2" LEVELING SHACKLES ● 12K HID LOWS & FOGS ● LEDs ● DEBADGED ● WHITE-FACED ESCALADE GAUGES ● KICKER 450.1 ● 2-CVR 10's ● DS60's ● K693's

Yep Tyler is right, you won't know how to completely do everything right the first time, until you do it. You will be running around for small parts to keep it in stock form, and you will change things up, or have to order something.

I searched and read for months on end, and a 2-3 day swap took me three weeks because I had to order small things I didn't even realize that I didn't have.
    1951 3100
    1984 C10

so bacially goin from a 4.8 to a 6.0 on my truck might be a little harder than i think?
    2009 CHEVROLET 1500 with a MONSTER 4.8 between the frame rails!!

Tuned by LSX Powersports ~ 4.10 ~ JBA Shorties ~ 4" Inlet/Outlet Spintech ~ Airaid Coldair
    CST 3.5" Spindles ~ Camburg Upper Control Arms ~ 2.5" CCM ~ FFR Tie Rods
    Full Throttle Suspension 3" Lift Blocks ~ Soft 8s wrapped in LT285/70/17 Silent Armors

Quote Originally Posted by txarkitekt View Post
    HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAAH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

(breath)

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Stupid Canadians...

Hey Devin...you must have missed the Memo AND the TPS report because you WILL hit stupid snags. Its just a part of a swap like that.
    +eleventy billion!!! mine's been put together with fluids in it and everything since 10/23. i've been chasing problems since then. almost positive it's the computer...

Quote Originally Posted by Chri$09 View Post
    so bacially goin from a 4.8 to a 6.0 on my truck might be a little harder than i think?
    yours should be pretty easy. his (and mine) are v6 -> v8 swaps
    Last edited by zebra; 11-03-2009 at 12:07 PM.
    00 FRC - just top end, exhaust, and a hot-air intake
    99 Sierra - 5.3 / 5spd
    ↓ click the pic for the build ↓

+ Reply to Thread