+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Kicker CVR: Sealed or ported?

Kicker CVR: Sealed or ported?

I used to have a 12 inch CVR in a custom ported box/console that replaced the center seat. It sounded pretty good until I totalled the truck (box is for sale now if anyone wants details). The new truck I bought came with 2 Type-Rs behind the seats. They are pretty loud but I like to have the seat all the way back. The new truck has a folding center seat that I like and dont want to give up so I am going to make a narrow wedge box to go behind the center seat. If sealed, I want as close to the maximum 4.6 Cu ft. as possible. What do you guys think? How does it sound better? Sealed or ported?

'00 Silverado 4.8L (Gone)
    '11 Silverado 4.8L

Quote Originally Posted by RUFFNECK View Post
    ...First relieve the pressure before doin' that or else you will get a nasty squirt and may get in ur eye.

First, I ONLY port my boxes. Second, you wont get 4.6 cubic foot back there and still keep your seats back. I have a DD9512 that I'd probably trade for those two type R's if you need to get rid of them. It has a ripped cone, but repair is only 150$ or so.

1969 Chevy RCLB C10 350/TH400 SOLD
    2007 Chevy RCSB 4.8 4x4 LS SOLD
    2008 Chevy RCSB 5.3 4x4 LT SOLD
    2010 Chevy CCSB 6.2 4x4 LT SOLD
    2005 GMC CCLB DRW 6.6 Duramax 4x4 191,000 and counting
    2013 FORD CCSB F350 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4

look in my thread call pics of my custom box. similar design and fits 2 12's behind the seats. i ported it for a couple days and hated the sound. sounds much better sealed
    Wills77
    06 Silverado 5.3
    20's wrapped in Nitto nt420s, airaid intake, k&n, magnaflow duals, custom grill, 2" drop shackles, cowl hood, vette servos, autotek 2000 watt amp and 2 hifonics brutus 12's....
    05 honda trx450r #77
    Fully built MX quad

Quote Originally Posted by wills77 View Post
    look in my thread call pics of my custom box. similar design and fits 2 12's behind the seats. i ported it for a couple days and hated the sound. sounds much better sealed
    When you ported it, did you calculate the port length and such, or just leave a hole? Ported can sound really good if you know what you're doing. Plus, from the looks of it, you didn't have nearly enough airspace to port yours. If you did port it correctly, you probably had a LOT of port noise (the sound of air getting sucked in and out).

If you don't know how to calculate ports, I'm sure low-lyf and I can get a little write up together.

Quote Originally Posted by pl4yboy View Post
    When you ported it, did you calculate the port length and such, or just leave a hole? Ported can sound really good if you know what you're doing. Plus, from the looks of it, you didn't have nearly enough airspace to port yours. If you did port it correctly, you probably had a LOT of port noise (the sound of air getting sucked in and out).

If you don't know how to calculate ports, I'm sure low-lyf and I can get a little write up together.
    i had one ported box before that that sounded great. where mine is capped off at i started with 2 3" holes with tubes and cut them to where it sounded best but wasnt happy so i drilled 2 more 3" holes and adjusted all 4 tubes but it did have alot of air noise and didnt sound nearly as good as it does sealed
    Wills77
    06 Silverado 5.3
    20's wrapped in Nitto nt420s, airaid intake, k&n, magnaflow duals, custom grill, 2" drop shackles, cowl hood, vette servos, autotek 2000 watt amp and 2 hifonics brutus 12's....
    05 honda trx450r #77
    Fully built MX quad

Quote Originally Posted by wills77 View Post
    i had one ported box before that that sounded great. where mine is capped off at i started with 2 3" holes with tubes and cut them to where it sounded best but wasnt happy so i drilled 2 more 3" holes and adjusted all 4 tubes but it did have alot of air noise and didnt sound nearly as good as it does sealed
    Not enough airspace, not enough port area, and not no calculations will do that to you. Oh well, to each their own. I will ONLY run ported.

A ported box done right will sound great. Sealed boxes usually give a crisper snapper sound. The ported boxes will usually be louder and carry further. But a ported box done anything but perfect will have poor sound quality.
    Slowest in Oklahoma...

where is that port calculation write up

AFE CAI, descreened MAF, Pioneer AVIC-D3 7" in dash touchscreen head unit

there isn't a write up yet. And I'm not sure there needs to be one, seems to be a lot of folks out there that don't know what they are doing in the first place(no offense to anyone). I enjoy helping people out but I feel that some things are better left up to the pros. Porting a box is one of those things that takes a lot of calculation to get it just right. I always cheated, we had a computer program that did the calculating for us.

Ported always sounds best if you have the airspace. Unfortunately there is hardly airspace for 2-12's sealed in a regular cab truck much less ported. The best sounding system I have put in a regular cab without cutting the bed was a JL W1 13 in a ported box. It took up the entire back wall but was almost as loud as the bandpass bedcut in my white Z. It was a basic wedge with a huge port(since JLs are like Diamonds and like those big, long ports), flip console operated properly and seats remained in their furthest back position. I was about 1/8 cube shy of having perfect airspace.
    Last edited by lo-lyf; 10-02-2009 at 01:04 PM.
    2005 black Yukon XL SLT - traded in for me wife's new Fusion (GM sucks these days)
    2002 black Yukon SLT (the skinny sister)
    1969 green Pontiac GTO (Layla, AKA the black sheep)

INSTALLS AND MORE.. http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...-low-life.html
    Sticky/broken gauges? I can help. PM me for details.

Quote Originally Posted by lo-lyf View Post
    there isn't a write up yet. And I'm not sure there needs to be one, seems to be a lot of folks out there that don't know what they are doing in the first place(no offense to anyone). I enjoy helping people out but I feel that some things are better left up to the pros. Porting a box is one of those things that takes a lot of calculation to get it just right. I always cheated, we had a computer program that did the calculating for us.

Ported always sounds best if you have the airspace. Unfortunately there is hardly airspace for 2-12's sealed in a regular cab truck much less ported. The best sounding system I have put in a regular cab without cutting the bed was a JL W1 13 in a ported box. It took up the entire back wall but was almost as loud as the bandpass bedcut in my white Z. It was a basic wedge with a huge port(since JLs are like Diamonds and like those big, long ports), flip console operated properly and seats remained in their furthest back position. I was about 1/8 cube shy of having perfect airspace.
    Maybe you're right. A lot of people here wouldn't know what to tune to in the first place, nor have any idea what airspace, port area, and port length are.

+ Reply to Thread