+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 04 Silverado

HI , I'm new here and I just got a brand new with 12 miles on it, 04 Silverado 4wd that is a Southern Comfort conversion.I reallly like it and want to hop it up but first I need to know what to do about the hard steering.When I have it in gear and need to turn the steering wheel it gets real hard to turn if you are not moving .It feels like the power steering just quits.If you let it creep then its ok but sometimes you are in a tight spot while trying to park and that isn't practical.The dealer says he's heard of the problem and its caused by thebig tires and rims but there is nothing they can do.It was bought new with 18 rims that Southern Comfort installs before they send it back to the dealer.I just need some idea of where to go next. thanks

Welcome to the site

Don't know much about Southern Comfort, but I do know that the bigger the wheels and tires, the harder to turn without movement. Those tires will really grip the pavement and pretty much anything else really hard if they are very much bigger than stock. Now while this is bad for parallel parking it makes the truck stick better to the road, which is to your advantage.

However, if it was happening while you were moving I would say it was the power steering. But since it is new, I don't think that is the case but there is nothing wrong with taking it back to the dealer to make sure. I mean, you did pay for that warranty, why not use it.

Ron
    FOR ALL YOUR WHEEL, TIRE, AND ACCESSORY NEEDS
    OR TO GET ME PERSONALLY CALL: 1-615-943-6514

2000 Chevy Silverado 4.8L RCSB: smoked UPD, Flowmaster exhaust, De-screened MAF, Nelson 93 hot tune. Upcoming installs: trans-go shift kit, Eaton posi, billet servo, ported and polished throttle body...Near future: 6.0/4L80E install with 150 wet shot

All I know about Southern Comfort is its good over ice and when you drink too much of it they say you're not supposed to drive.

Have them flush the power steering pump/gear box. Sounds like foreign object contamination. Even with 32x10.5x15s my stock pump works great.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

Originally posted by GREG_92_C1500_2001_LS1_A4@Nov 8 2004, 06:25 PM
    All I know about Southern Comfort is its good over ice and when you drink too much of it they say you're not supposed to drive.
    LOL, I was thinking along similar lines!

Anyway... welcome over!
    The superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions. - Confucius

"He who asks of life nothing but the improvement of his own nature, is less liable than anyone else to miss and waste life."- Henri Frederic Amiel

'01 Chev Z71 LT - '85 BMW 745i TURBO - '88 BMW 750iL - '88 Ford F150 XLT Lariat - '79 MB 240D - '79 MB 280S Euro
    '80 MB 380SE-5.0 Euro - '85 MB 300SD - '87 MB 300SDL - 1990 MB 300SEL - '91 MB 300SE - '91 MB 560SEL

Let's face it, the red hair... makes 'em wet.

Welcome and I hpoe it works out for ya...Zed

Goddamn Michelob, I ment hope not hpoe..Zed
    13.920 @ 98.94mph...[/b]

welcome there.
    04 supercrew 5.4 3 valve-magnaflow catback

formerly 02denali 12.79@107

+ Reply to Thread