+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 4L80E No Reverse!

Dang I spent an hour figuring out how to take a screen shot and make it uploadable to photobucket so I could post it. Oh well.

Check your tq converter.

You do have the manual valve in the correct postion? Seen it do some weird stuff in my days when it is not. If you have engine braking in low then the band is ok. According to the power flow for reverse to work, the OD roller, direct clutch and the low band are applied. As far as solenoids in your case it does not apply. In a regular unit even though the 1-2 shift solenoid is energized it does not need to be on in order for the trans to have reverse. With you having 3rd gear I would think that the direct clutch is ok. I have seen where if the late style OD roller cage is just a little off when assembled, it will not hold. This is the style that uses a blue and black plastic cage. If you do take this unit a part, do us a favor and carefully remove the input shaft, over run drum and OD planet assembly. Make sure that the planet locks in one direction and free wheels in the other direction. This might be where your issue is. Another thing to check is do you have the little check 3/16's ball installed for the gear command function. This is the one that is installed between the valve body and the plate supplied from transgo. I do not remember if the hd-3 kit uses this but it is definitely something to check. Best of luck with this one. Vince B
    Last edited by Vince_B; 08-23-2009 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT View Post
    If you have engine braking in low then the band is ok. According to the power flow for reverse to work, the OD roller, direct clutch and the low band are applied. As far as solenoids in your case it does not apply. In a regular unit even though the 1-2 shift solenoid is energized it does not need to be on in order for the trans to have reverse. With you having 3rd gear I would think that the direct clutch is ok. I have seen where if the late style OD roller cage is just a little off when assembled, it will not hold. This is the style that uses a blue and black plastic cage. If you do take this unit a part, do us a favor and carefully remove the input shaft, over run drum and OD planet assembly. Make sure that the planet locks in one direction and free wheels in the other direction. This might be where your issue is. Another thing to check is do you have the little check 3/16's ball installed for the gear command function. This is the one that is installed between the valve body and the plate supplied from transgo. I do not remember if the hd-3 kit uses this but it is definitely something to check. Best of luck with this one. Vince B
    Well it does not have 3rd gear either. I hooked up the DS and you can pretty much tell there is no rpm drop from 2nd to 3rd.

I pretty much tore back into it and dropped the VB and I noticed one thing...which requires a call to Transgo.

The transgo vb gaskets have two holes that are open and the gaskets that came with the rebuild kit do not have these holes. Its page 6 step 6 on the HD-3 instructions.

U use 7 ck balls for the case just like the HD-2 instructions but u discard the checkball in the 3rd/reverse bushing in the VB

thanks for the help
    89' GMC RCSB 6.0L LQ4, T56, 4.56 Gears

These holes in question, does the separator plate have a hole in these locations? If not I would think this is not an issue. In my last post I thought you had 3rd gear. When you say you have 1st and second is this in the manual ranges? Or in D3 or OD range? I will have to take a look to see if I have a set of -3 directions and take a look tomorrow when at the shop. Vince

These holes in question, does the separator plate have a hole in these locations? If not I would think this is not an issue. In my last post I thought you had 3rd gear. When you say you have 1st and second is this in the manual ranges? Or in D3 or OD range? I will have to take a look to see if I have a set of -3 directions and take a look tomorrow when at the shop. Vince
    Yes you had to drill these two holes in the sep plate. It seemed I had 3rd gear without the DS installed...upon installation you can accuratly tell there is no rpm drop shifting into 3rd.
    Only way to shift this trans is manually now.

Called transgo you have to use the supplied gaskets or make holes in the gaskets that dont have them.
    I asked them what these two holes did and Larry said it completes a circuit.
    No kidding....I know that. Seems it has to do something with 3rd Exhaust.

Really wish I had some fluid flow diagrams.....would make this 100 percent easier IMO.

Take a picture of the plate for me so I can try to tell you what is going on there. I'll take a look in my book for you if you do. Vince

Take a picture of the plate for me so I can try to tell you what is going on there. I'll take a look in my book for you if you do. Vince
    Here it is.....

Just to give you the heads up. That is a very old trans go kit. There are plugs that they have you install that I have never seen nor installed! The later kits do not install that many plugs. However they do have you drilling a bunch of holes in the valve body casting. I will look and see if I can tell you what the passage oil does. I will try to get back to you later today when I have time. It might be a good idea to think about starting over. The reason I say this is because with all the plugs that they have you install, I would be worried about having a possible cross leak. I will have to get back to you on this later. Vince

EDIT!!!! I forgot how involved that kit is with the seperator plate holes being filled in with the slugs! I actually have a valve body here on one a did a few years ago. It does have all the plugs. Let me take a look at what we have between the two of us and I will get back with you on some more info. Vince
    Last edited by Vince_B; 08-26-2009 at 08:32 AM.

On the valve body side my book is calling that passage orificed exhaust oil. On the case side the circuit is 3rd gear feed. So with that being said if you do not have the gaskets cut out as you were told then circuit can not be completed. I think if your clutches in the direct are ok, with doing this it should work. Hope this helps. Vince
    Last edited by Vince_B; 08-26-2009 at 09:23 AM.

+ Reply to Thread