+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Electrical Fan Install

I will see if I can get some of the install.

R.
    RChevy.48
    2001 Silverado RCSB 4.8L
    Current Mods
    Flowmaster Exhaust
    LT1 Fans
    vette cam sitting in garage

So i guess your finished?

I have had my LT1 fans in for over a year. Let me tell you, they cool plenty well. I use to pull my 29' 6200# travel trailer with my truck to San Antonio, New Braunsfel, Austin etc... and NEVER had a cooling problem. Even with a 4.8!!!!

I do not reccomend using the "pull through" ties. They are the reason I have a 6.0 (34" core) radiator in my truck now. One of them rubbed one of the tubes to the breaking point. I had it repaired and remounted the fans with "L" brackets and it busted again in the same spot (due to bad repair). So I got it repaired again and stored it and went with the 6.0. All the pulling was done before the 34" radiator though. As for the plugs, I just used standard female (to male) terminal connectors and wrapped them in electrical tape and have not had a problem yet.

Washing...NO PROBLEM my engine bay looks showroom new.

Well, not done yet? How long did it take to install and wire, not sure if I can do it today or not. And what tool did you use to get the stock fan off.

I wasn't wanting to go the tie route either. I saw some pics from LS1tech.com where the guy used L brackets that mounted in the stock fan shroud holes and attached to the top of the e fans. How does this sound? Thanks for the info, got any pircs of your setup, they would be great for a reference.

thanks,
    R.
    RChevy.48
    2001 Silverado RCSB 4.8L
    Current Mods
    Flowmaster Exhaust
    LT1 Fans

Hugger Orange 99 SS Hardtop #756
    485rwhp/440rwtq SAE

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j301/slmdls1/Signatures/hugger-prostar-sig.jpg

Thanks, that should help a lot.
    RChevy.48
    2001 Silverado RCSB 4.8L
    Current Mods
    Flowmaster Exhaust
    LT1 Fans

OK, I pretty much got the fans installed today, going back tomorrow so my friend can tidy up the wiring. I bought a wiring kit from O'riley's, I is a thermo relay that somehow pokes through the radiator for temp (I guess), and connects to ignition and A/C relay. One question though, is the fans supposed to push the air away from the engine or pull the air into the engine bay. It seems to be cooling pretty well though still under 210, about a half notch lower than before.

Oh, and the fans seems to be on constantly right now is that normal.
    RChevy.48
    2001 Silverado RCSB 4.8L
    Current Mods
    Flowmaster Exhaust
    LT1 Fans

Your truck temp gauge may not be as accurate as you would like.

the fans should be pulling the air thru the radiator not pushing the air thru, so it's blowing the air on the engine also.

depending on what stat you got and what the rating the temp probe is set at, your fans should be off when you start the truck in the morning, and may come on during stop and go traffic. if they are on all the time, check your wire that turns the relay on, + or neg, depending how you activate it.

allen

Ok, direction is easy enough. When we installed the fans the engine was cold, and they didn't come on unless the A/C was on. So, the fans should stay on once the engine is warmed up right. I think we set it to come on at 180
    RChevy.48
    2001 Silverado RCSB 4.8L
    Current Mods
    Flowmaster Exhaust
    LT1 Fans

ya, that sounds good, i don't need mine when i get on the highway, yours may turn off too, sounds like they're working just fine.

cool,

allen

+ Reply to Thread