Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Specialty LSx tools, Bubba/DIY

Maybe tomorrow....

I remember when cool tools came out. I use to have a drill

Quote Originally Posted by DBRODS View Post
    Maybe tomorrow....

T-RAV
    99 GMC | 5.3 | Skinny White Guy Tuned

Built another tool yesterday. An extended mandrel for my Snap-On damper installer, (pt# YA 188C) so it will work for the LSx. Took a new LSx damper bolt, turned down the head of the bolt on the lathe and threaded it to fit the damper installer.

Damper installer worked perfectly!

Another new tool. Took a Chevy trans driveshaft yoke that I use as a plug, chucked it up in the lathe, machined flats across the top of the yoke for perfectly square surface when verifying power train angles during engine swaps. You could just as easily measure off the bell housing mating surface if you can get access to it, machined cylinder head surfaces, or the crank damper. This is handy for immediate comparisons to the diff input flange angle.

Also made a power train aiming tool from the advice a good friend, using a Datsun 280-Z steering column tube which just so happens to be within .001” of ideal OD to fit in the tail shaft of the GM T-56, and using a section of schedule 20 PVC pipe that fits oh-so-nicely over that as a telescoping slide, I am able to verify the “aim” of the tail shaft to the diff input during conversions. Sorry no pics of that goodie.

Another tool, this is one-time use only, applies to removing mechanical clutch from a dead Gen III truck water pumps for those still using the mechanical/clutch fan on the water pump.

Need to get that fan off the old dead water pump? Don't have a the Spanner wrench or your strap wrench wont grip tight enough, or wedging piece of wood between the fan belt and a pulley not working to break the fan loose from the water pump?
    Remove the pump withe fan attached, unbolt/pry off the back cover of the WP, find an old LSx head bolt or other 9"+ long scrap steel item , weld the bolt to the pump shaft so that as the shaft spins the bolt will catch on the pump legs holding the pump shaft while you break the fan free from the pulley.

+ Reply to Thread