+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What psi Do you run at the track?

What psi Do you run at the track?

Ive been having ALOT of problems hooking up. YES part of it is a bad pinion angle. But it just doesnt make alot of sense to me that I cant hook good with hoosiers. SOOOO what PSI does everyone run at the track. My slicks are at 16psi right now. What do yall advise.

06 Intimidator SS- Tuned, CAI -DD
    03 Silverado- Last incarnation 13.6... RIP
    Ls1, Pnp heads, Polluter camshaft, spray, 4k stall on the way
    "Seize the day like you seize your noodle" - Shin Chan

pinion angle has a huge effect. a dead on pinion angle can get street rubber to hook [power level depending] hoosiers like any tires will spin if setup wrong. tires are only part of the traction process. alot of ppl just toss a tire on a vehicel and expect it to hook
    2002 Lightning - GT headed 5.5Litre w/ Twin 7665s
    2002 Silverado - 427Lsx w/ Twin gt4202s
    2010 Silverado crewcab Z71 - 5.3litre w/ procharger
    2000 Wrangler - 5.3litre with some stance
    2014 Xsport- 3.5 Eco boost
    412 Motorsports

it ain't that I'm too big to listen to the rumors, It's just that I'm too damn big to pay attention to 'em..That's the difference

I didnt expect it to hook perfect. But I expected better than it is! haha. I got the magnetic angle finder to check my pinion angle so I can order the shims... BUT its raining and my shop is full right now. so I am SOL on checking it till it drys up.

you might need mre then shims. shims only get you so far safely. best option and cheaper as for part wise is a set of perches. alot of ppl like neg 2-3 degrees. so if your positive 6 thats roughly 8* shim. thta looks like a hunk of cheese and isnt going to give you a safe contact between perch and spring. some go more aggressive on angle im currently at -6*

also psi in tire, type of burnout, amount of heat stayng in the tire, checking psi between runs, track prep....all play roll into traction.
    412 Motorsports

it ain't that I'm too big to listen to the rumors, It's just that I'm too damn big to pay attention to 'em..That's the difference

We had a truck come into the shop that had a 4-6 drop. The pinion angle hadnt had anything done to it after this. The axle tubes werent straight, One of them was slightly bent and had a crack in it. Also his driveshaft was rubbing on the crossmember because the pinion angle was so off. He said it wouldnt hook....I wonder why....LoL
    2000 Silverado ECSB- 5.3 CAI, Pacesetter LTs, ORY- Pipe, Magnaflow XL, E-fan, Ported T/B , Nelson Tuned, Built 4l60e, Circle D Stall, 3.42s G80, 2-4 Drop, Hertz Highs, Rockford 501s

2004 Buell XB12s

Quote Originally Posted by LamboDoNoMo View Post
    "Never give up, NEVER BACK DOWN!!!"

Ill give it a check. Im hoping it isnt off that far to the point of needing a "hunk of cheese" under my truck to get it to hook. What PSI are you running in your tires?

I have a 6" flip kit on mine and it hooks for what it is. I usually keep it around 18ish psi in my ET streets because anything lower and the truck starts to ghost the faster I go down the track
    1951 3100
    1984 C10

Quote Originally Posted by Show&Go View Post
    Ill give it a check. Im hoping it isnt off that far to the point of needing a "hunk of cheese" under my truck to get it to hook. What PSI are you running in your tires?
    it varies with track and launch. 14-16 so far in my DRs

ducky if you insist on running a bias ply tire find some front bias tires and it will take the wondering away on the big end. running a bias ply and radial combo will resort in wondering all over track
    412 Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    it varies with track and launch. 14-16 so far in my DRs

ducky if you insist on running a bias ply tire find some front bias tires and it will take the wondering away on the big end. running a bias ply and radial combo will resort in wondering all over track
    You mean some skinnies or something lighter/similar up front?
    1951 3100
    1984 C10

Quote Originally Posted by duckysbht View Post
    You mean some skinnies or something lighter/similar up front?
    you could run a skinny but make sure it a bias tireif thats what you run or find a set of bias regular tires for track.

even says on manufactors site to not run a bias ply tire and radial or it will cause swaying
    412 Motorsports

+ Reply to Thread