+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Advice on performance tune

Ok-I am new to this computer programming. I have a '04 2500HD 6.0 and want to gain about 50-60HP, but do not want to supercharge. What additonal modifications would I need beside the tune from Nelson (87 or 93 tune??).

The truck is stock now, I plan on adding cat-back exhaust and either Air-raid or K&N kit. Will I also need to change the thermostat?

Beside being my main vehicle, I also use it for plowing snow. After adding the Nelson tune, has anyone had transmission problems or other notable issues?

I tried checking Nelson's site out, but it's not working...Maybe updating...

Thanks for any advice..Jason
    Jason Davis
    Emergency Vehicle Products
    Des Moines, Iowa

Originally posted by EVP@Aug 29 2004, 08:15 AM
    Ok-I am new to this computer programming. I have a '04 . Will I also need to change the thermostat?

They don't make 04 stats yet. I'm still looking myself. They made a
    change in 04.
    mostly stock 04 silverado 1500 CC
    Gibson Headers and Sport truck Cat Back
    5.3L 3.73 Detroit True Trac
    165F therm,HpTuner
    07 17" Sierra wheels
    Dark Grey

Just a tune is going to gain big power on a 6.0, they are very underrated! Also ditch that Torque Managment, it closes your TB blade at WOT lol I'd go for the 93, it'd cost ya $3-5 to fill up more...just skip McDonalds once a week.

Your transmission will be fine, you've got a big 4L80E unit...it's big, heavy, and strong. I would get a TransGo HD2 shift kit tossed in there at some point to firm the shifts up a bit and to help fix some of the problems the unit has. Mainly direct clutch burnup.

Lower thermo allows for a bit more timing.

Stock exhaust flows very well, so it's going to be for sound/looks...I'd look for a large case Magnaflow to keep sound down.

I have a K&N intake, it's a nice setup.
    The superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions. - Confucius

"He who asks of life nothing but the improvement of his own nature, is less liable than anyone else to miss and waste life."- Henri Frederic Amiel

'01 Chev Z71 LT - '85 BMW 745i TURBO - '88 BMW 750iL - '88 Ford F150 XLT Lariat - '79 MB 240D - '79 MB 280S Euro
    '80 MB 380SE-5.0 Euro - '85 MB 300SD - '87 MB 300SDL - 1990 MB 300SEL - '91 MB 300SE - '91 MB 560SEL

Let's face it, the red hair... makes 'em wet.

Thanks for the advice...I'll try and contact Nelson (anyone have a phone #) and talk with him.

I have always been a Flowmaster fan. How does the Magnaflow compare in sound? Usually I have the 50 series delta flow installed on my trucks, but have heard alot of good things about the Magnaflow. Guess I like the distinctive Flowmaster sound.

So I would want the torque management off, even though I use it for plowing snow? Guess Im not familiar with what that exactly does for the truck...Jason
    Jason Davis
    Des Moines, Iowa

I like the Flowmaster sound under acceleration and WOT, just not how they usually resonate. I unbolted the one on my truck and I swear it's quicker without it being there! Magnaflow makes stuff from loud with a small case, to mellow with a large case.

Torque Managment is something GM put in the PCM to help with low RPM emissions and deal with the EPA as well as CAFE. It's good for them, bad for us. It pulls timing pretty much all the time and will close your throttle body blade on your drive by wire truck! It's absurd to me that's how they get around it but it works.
    The superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions. - Confucius

"He who asks of life nothing but the improvement of his own nature, is less liable than anyone else to miss and waste life."- Henri Frederic Amiel

'01 Chev Z71 LT - '85 BMW 745i TURBO - '88 BMW 750iL - '88 Ford F150 XLT Lariat - '79 MB 240D - '79 MB 280S Euro
    '80 MB 380SE-5.0 Euro - '85 MB 300SD - '87 MB 300SDL - 1990 MB 300SEL - '91 MB 300SE - '91 MB 560SEL

magnaflow is bad ass. you can get a dual octane tune as well if you need the gas money. the 93 tune is awsome. 80% tqm removal can help out but with the 4l80 i think 100% can be removed. cat back-intake and tune will yield good power gains.

210-626-0278 phone number for allen.

link is in my sig.
    04 supercrew 5.4 3 valve-magnaflow catback

formerly 02denali 12.79@107

evp...i have a 2500hd w/ 6.0 too.flowmaster doesnot have a setup for the hd's...i tried the dual 50 series and in about a month...i took it off and went with the magnaflow thats made for the hd's...cant beat it...i love the sound and the look...its on their web site on the magazine articles and down toward the last article you should see one that says combo platter..it has the swaps with the dyno #'s and then the one for the hd's....its mandral bent 2x3" in that slips over your pipes after cats and has a single 4" out with tip. change your intake air..its a big improvment by itself...i went with the mac cold air..i have allens bad ass 93 tune in a truck already and was goin to sa to get my other truck dyno tuned by allen this past weekend but could'nt make it but he has enough info from other 6.0's that he has done that he can send you a tune that will well be worthy of what you want...it will suprise the hell out of you what all this can do for your truck.after some miles on the new tune that he sends you...your truck will get stronger and stronger as the relearn with the computer applys.
    admin please delete this acct....

I gained quite a bit of economy with my tune...

I average 15.5-16mpg city and get nearly 20mpg on the freeway! That's in a 5500lbs ECSB Z71 LT w/ 33" ATs! I do cruise about on the freeway tho' I go around 65-70mph max unless I'm passing some one.

The performace is very nice that comes along with it.

Thank you for all the replys, Im pretty sure I will contact Nelson and install a Magnaflow.

As far as the exhaust, have most of you bought the cat-back system, or just the muffler. I have an exhaust shop usually custom build mine, and they do nice work. Usually 3" dual out then angle back on each side under the bumper. (45 deg??)

I would love to purchase a Whipple supercharger, then I would not worry about the HP, but just do not want to spend the $4000.
    Jason Davis
    Des Moines, Iowa

I have the 2 in and 2 out flowmaster with 2-7/8 pipe after the cats. I had both tail pipes come out at the factory location and it sounds pretty good. It has more noise in the cab than stock but not to bad.

Cold air intake is a good bolt on. Look around and someone usually has them on sale. I went with K&N.

The Nelson tune is a no brainer. Get the 93 hot tune rather than the dual fuel. I tried duel fuel first and 8budfan told me about the hot tune and the difference is well worth the 10 cents a gallon for premium fuel. Have 100% of the torque management removed. The 4l80 will handle it just fine.

Add headers to the things above and your truck will run well and make a great daily driver. It wont be a 12 second hot rod but it run pretty good.

I have about 1600.00 to 1800.00 invested in the mods above.

Jeff
    2005 ECSB 5.3

+ Reply to Thread