+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New engine, popping under boost??

New engine, popping under boost??

Hey guys,
    Just got my customers engine installed in the ol truck and I'm having an issue with it.
    I haven't done too much troubleshooting, so feel free to suggest anything.

The truck runs great under normal and non boost conditions. As soon as it hits a few psi 2-3, the truck will start to backfire or pop out the exhaust.

Now when I first got this engine together, for some reason the #5 piston blew a head gasket. I immediately replaced it and now it's back in action.

I gapped the plugs at .025, probably closer to .023 so the 9.5cr doesn't blow the spark out.

Like I said I haven't done anything else, but I figured I'd post up and go through the troubleshooting stages and share.

I guess tomorrow, the process is:

Check plugs for consitency
    Compression check - engine can't be hurt, too soon and not any hard runs on it.
    Make sure gasket didn't blow again
    Change out coils
    New plugs

The tune is good enough to not cause anything , so I'm counting that out.

any suggestions?

thanks,
    allen

Quote Originally Posted by farmtruc View Post
    Hey guys,
    Just got my customers engine installed in the ol truck and I'm having an issue with it.
    I haven't done too much troubleshooting, so feel free to suggest anything.

The truck runs great under normal and non boost conditions. As soon as it hits a few psi 2-3, the truck will start to backfire or pop out the exhaust.

Now when I first got this engine together, for some reason the #5 piston blew a head gasket. I immediately replaced it and now it's back in action.

I gapped the plugs at .025, probably closer to .023 so the 9.5cr doesn't blow the spark out.

Like I said I haven't done anything else, but I figured I'd post up and go through the troubleshooting stages and share.

I guess tomorrow, the process is:

Check plugs for consitency
    Compression check - engine can't be hurt, too soon and not any hard runs on it.
    Make sure gasket didn't blow again
    Change out coils
    New plugs

The tune is good enough to not cause anything , so I'm counting that out.

any suggestions?

thanks,
    allen
    I would say it sounds like plugs, wires or coils. Is there any wires that have been nicked or boots that aren't seated all the way? Are you using the stock coils?

2004 Silverado Crew Cab, forged iron 5.7, STS w/MP turbo, 10+ psi, FMIC, Tial 50mm BOV, Vic Jr, Snow performance meth, MTI Stealth cam .220/.220 .581/.581 115lsa, Comp chromoly pushrods, Yank TT3000 stall, LS1 Efans, 160 tstat, Trucool 40k trans cooler, 60# injectors, Walbro fuel pump, Patriot springs, Built 4l65E w/billet input & output shafts, Eaton posi, SD tuned...all installed by Klein North Automotive

Quote Originally Posted by ramair2002 View Post
    ...stock coils?
    using stock coils, but i'm going to try a set of msd's tomorrow.

Valve float, broken valve spring, poor sealing valve seat, cam advanced or retarded, low fuel pressure, faulty MAF (if MAF tune), CKP failure, loose reluctor, incorrect reluctor....

i say some plug wires burned on the turbo manifold.....like mine did on us.....lol
    single digit street truck

for build info

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...cs-garage.html

The best advice I have ever heard:... Only take B( . Y . )ST advice from someone that is CURRENTLY running a turbo setup close to, or bigger than what you want......

i have the exact same problem but mine goes completly away when my motor warms up so keep us posted

Junkyard 5.3 milled heads 200 shot, built 4l80e with circle D 4000 multi disc converter
    EPS cam 23x/23x 600/603 112lsa
    KP 6 link bagged with Accuair E-Level
    http://www.nitrousexpress.com/

Bad valve springs? Weak? Wastegates popping early?
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

Quote Originally Posted by GasGuzzler View Post
    Valve float, broken valve spring, poor sealing valve seat, cam advanced or retarded, low fuel pressure, faulty MAF (if MAF tune), CKP failure, loose reluctor, incorrect reluctor....
    valve float at 4krpms and 3psi with good springs, probably not, but i'll check the springs, a bad spring could cause valve float.
    could be poor sealing valve, i'll check that.
    cam in straight up, runs too good under no boost conditions.
    fuel pressure, rock solid! a1000, -10 line everywhere, aero fpr.
    no maf
    i hope it's not ckp or wheel, that would suck!
    i don't think it's the wrong wheel, it would backfire and spit randomly and a lot more often.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMic View Post
    i say some plug wires burned on the turbo manifold.....like mine did on us.....lol
    changing those tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by dropem View Post
    i have the exact same problem but mine goes completly away when my motor warms up so keep us posted
    Classic lean or low volume fuel problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dropem View Post

When the engine is cold, open loop, the pcm is using the ve table. If the ve table isn't rich enough, your engine could be experiencing a slight lean condition. When it gets warm, the the maf takes over and patches everything. The ltrims are probably positive, and the pcm adds fuel, which corrects the lean pop.
    Or, the fuel pump isn't good enough.

+ Reply to Thread