+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: $2500 for upgrades.. what to do

Quote Originally Posted by turbo4.8 View Post
    i got a set of ls6 heads and ported them myself ... took about 6 hrs with a die grinder. the openings are huge now.... you ever think about some aluminum wheels?

yeah id love some al 20's but dont wanna pay for em. Its cool if I run around on some heavier wheels now that I have my al 16s for the track. Why... you got some...

are you running the heads now, i bet it made a big difference
    2005 5.3l CCSB- 220r/114, full bolt-ons, 4.56/trutrac

2004 VHO LQ9- Heads/Cam/Full bolt-ons SOLD and missed

More Pics-
    http://s417.photobucket.com/albums/p...6/ls1%20truck/

Alllllright! Chris has some cash-money to spend! Schweeet!

Ok--this is what I would do:
    1. Have the 317s get a PnP job; have a 3 angle valve job done; milled slightly; ARP studs = ~$750
    2. LS7 lifters = ~$150
    3. Detroit TrueTrac = ~$400

That leaves you with roughly $1200... A little bit of it will go to fluids and a Master Install Kit for the TrueTrac. I would get those things done and see what you've got left. I am sure it will be enough for a decent little Nitrous Dave's plate kit...

2000 ECSB 6.0L
    TORQUER V2 CAM ● COMP 918's ● 7.4 HARDENED PUSHRODS ● K&N SERIES 77 CAI ● 80mm BBK ●PACESETTER LT HEADERS AND 3'' ORY ● SUPER 40 FLOW ● 3000 STALL ● 4.10s ● BUILT 80e ● VORTEC PERFORMANCE TUNE ● MSD 8.5mm PLUG WIRES● ELEC. CUTOUT ● UD & ALT PULLEYS ● FLEX-A-LITE E-FANS ● 22" CENTERLINE STINGRAY III's ● LUND FIBERGLASS TONNEAU ● 2" LEVELING SHACKLES ● 12K HID LOWS & FOGS ● LEDs ● DEBADGED ● WHITE-FACED ESCALADE GAUGES ● KICKER 450.1 ● 2-CVR 10's ● DS60's ● K693's

Just because the heads have to come off to replace the lifters doesn't mean the heads need worked or replaced. It could still be pretty strong without the worked heads and that might save almost enough for a locker or other G80 replacement. Not sure you need a cam unless you want more power and less lope. Looks like already have a DQ cam that must idle nice. Do you even really know you need a lifter? I mean....if there is another cause for the noise or it's normal all of this would be a $$$ waste that would put you behind.

Is there still a GIANT pile of engine blocks in Lindale? I think I asked you that before....

Im not running the heads yet. im waiting for more $ to get rod bolts and head studs. then the motor will go in the truck and start assembling things until its all done. gotta a turbo in gonna throw on it. its a build in progress. but itll be done soon.
    2005 GMC RST *sold
    2006 Silverado SS with nawz

option 2
    s10 with 4l60e and cammed 5.3 on the road!THREAD
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.".

howd it get the lower stance? you buy a drop or wat? whatd u play with to get that?
    2005 GMC RST *sold
    2006 Silverado SS with nawz

dont get studs!!!! quik has 16 psi at 700hp with STOCK HEAD BOLTS they are a waste for a na motor IMO now get ls7 lifers and a cam package of some sort
    http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp...d=172&catid=48 380 springs and push rods
    http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp...d=690&catid=50 120 lifters
    http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp 185 bolts and gaskets
    new cam 400 ish
    1100 ish
    then buy spray!!!
    or heads if you must i would suggest wcch
    74 Austin Morris Mini 1000 - Daily Coil Spring conversion, lowered, Disc Brake conversion
    FOR SALE: 04 RC/LB Duramax -12 second tow pig, built Allison, Tune, and supporting mods
    FOR SALE: 03 Silverado SS -DBRods built 40X, DP, Suspension. Going for fast

btw if you self port heads be VERY CAREFUL! there is alot that can go wrong, if you take to much material out and hit a water passage you've got urself a nice aluminum brick! they done weld back up very nice, also you can actually make things worse, there is alot that goes into how a head flows and if you go in blind you can loose power, also do not under any circumstance gasket match!!! this is bad usually to much material is removed, it takes alot of practice and time to be able to make a quality port job now if u want to polish em up that should be just fine
    74 Austin Morris Mini 1000 - Daily Coil Spring conversion, lowered, Disc Brake conversion
    FOR SALE: 04 RC/LB Duramax -12 second tow pig, built Allison, Tune, and supporting mods
    FOR SALE: 03 Silverado SS -DBRods built 40X, DP, Suspension. Going for fast

yeah im too scared to port my own stuff lol Ill pay someone that knows what there doing first... I dont know... Im thinking about doing new heads completly cause I know thats what I want one day. I dont wanna waste money tryin to get my heads to perform when I could go ahead and spend a lil extra money and get the heads Ive allways wanted. We'll see... Yeah its the lifters, fo sho. I drove to Nelson to get a live tune after the cam swap and thats when I knew something was wrong. Alan said that they wern't real bad but I sould start thinking about replacing them. Its weird if I stay around town they dont make any noise, but if I stay at highway speeds for a few mins then I can hear them start ticking. But when I stop and let it idle for a couple mins then it stops. I just need to break into the motor and replace them before they go out completly and make me replace the motor... thats no fun. Ill do some more research and pricing before I make my final decision. Ill keep you guys updated... Thanks

As far as lowering my truck, I took the factory 2in blocks out, installed 2in shackles, took the torsion key adj bolts out completly and got an aglinment. Works great, but I did have to do some cutting on my bumpstops. So in all I spent less than $100. Its nice that the VHO's came with torsion bars or it wouldnt have been so easy

Thanks everyone, I may wait and save just a little bit more money so I can replace the heads completly, lifters, locker, and get some purdy wheels lol

Thanks
    chris
    Last edited by wayfastw86; 03-07-2009 at 04:23 PM.
    2005 5.3l CCSB- 220r/114, full bolt-ons, 4.56/trutrac

2004 VHO LQ9- Heads/Cam/Full bolt-ons SOLD and missed

More Pics-
    http://s417.photobucket.com/albums/p...6/ls1%20truck/

+ Reply to Thread