+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Almost time!

Almost time!

Well I decided it's finally time to add 2 more cylinders to my truck, called around today to the local wreckers for prices on used engines. They had some there but not "complete" with wiring harness, PCM, accessories, etc. So they're going to let me know when the next vehicle comes in with a 5.3L or 6.0L and they'll take it out with everything still intact (they normally just snip all the wiring etc) I'm keeping the 5-speed (NVG3500) for now, not sure how long it will last, once it goes I'll put a T-56 in.

Anyway before I put it in I want to put a nice cam in it, nothing crazy, just something with a little more chop and extra power. Probably in the 218 to 224 with a 114-116 LSA range. It's a little embarrassing asking these questions since I'm a licensed tech, but up here in the great white north no one modifies their trucks other than a cat-back exhaust, so I really have no experience with the aftermarket stuff. My questions are, do I need different pushrods, rocker arms and valve springs for this cam swap?
    2000 Chevy Silverado RCSB LS6 5 speed, LS6 short block, 317 heads, LS6 intake, Lunati 220/224 .575/.575 112LSA cam, Edelbrock Headers, CTS-V accessory drive, Nelson Performance Custom Tune.

just pushrods and valvespings... the other stuff will work fine.
    2005 GMC RST *sold
    2006 Silverado SS with nawz

Quote Originally Posted by turbo4.8 View Post
    just pushrods and valvespings... the other stuff will work fine.
    +1
    Name: Mark,
    God created turbo lag so nitrous trucks could have a chance.

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post274877

Depending on mileage, it would be wise to swap in a new set of lifters too.
    ...........Workin' on it...........

If you plan to do any kind of racing with it you will want to do LS7 lifters, some hardened pushrods, and matching springs.

I would suggest the GM ASA cam. Its only like 525 lift with 226 232 duration on a 110 LSA. That is what's in mine and the stock LS6 springs work just fine.

Thanks for the advise guys! I can't wait to get that ole 4.3 out of there, it's a strong little motor but it's just gotta go.
    2000 Chevy Silverado RCSB LS6 5 speed, LS6 short block, 317 heads, LS6 intake, Lunati 220/224 .575/.575 112LSA cam, Edelbrock Headers, CTS-V accessory drive, Nelson Performance Custom Tune.

+ Reply to Thread