+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: LS6 Intake Swap

LS6 Intake Swap

LS6 Intake Swap

after doing some research and seeing numerous n/a 5.3's and 6L hp flatlineing around 5800 and slowly falling after 6k, i decided to take the plunge and do the ls6 intake swap. the ls6 intake seems to be a proven performed intake that pulls all the way to 6500 in modified engines (ei full boltons, cam, etc...)

stuff you will need to get the job done:

a nice set of various ratchets, sockets, wrenches, etc...
    4" electric grinder. (grinding discs/ cutting discs)
    fuel line disconnect tool
    big 3 jaw puller
    1.5 ft of 5/16" & 3/8" fuel line
    1 5/16" & 1 3/8" barbed fuel line fitting
    6 hose clamps for the hose sizes above
    1/8" / barbed fitting
    small diameter vacuume line
    gallon anti freeze

parts for the job:

ls6 intake
    ls1/ls6 intake bolts (can't use the truck ones, they are too short)
    97/98 vette fuel rail (for 99 to 03 trucks) or 98 to 02 f body fuel rail (04 & up)
    ls1/ls6 style injectors (i chose 28.8#'s b/c i needed bigger ones already)
    ls1/ls6 injector pigtails summit part no. MSD-2400
    ls1/ls6 water pump
    ls1/ls6 map sensor
    custom idler pulley relocation bracket

about to get started...

removed the truck intake. alternator and p/s bracket removed also.

the fuel rail feed and return line will not clear the coil packs.
    action: bend the lines upward to where there is enough clearance

notice how the fuel rail lines clear the coils
    the coolant hard line nipple, needs to be bent out to clear the intake also

alternator and p/s bracket has to be cut in order to clear the throttle body since the ls6 intake sits alot lower than the truck one

the bottom of the tb needs to be grinded some in order to clear the top of the water pump.

new injector pigtails wired up. fuel pressure regulator line goes to small nip in back of the intake.

pcv line goes to the small nip in the back of the intake also. barbed fuel line fittings are used to connect the fuel lines. evap sensor tucked behind the alternator (use a vacuum line to connect it to the front drivers side nip on the intake)

since this intake was originally equipped with a cable style tb, i had to drill and tap for 1/8"npt / barbed fitting to hook up the passenger side valve cover vacuum line. also notice the black vacuum cap i plugged onto the intake.

final product

if you see anything out of place or think more stuff needs to be added, just put in your input.

engine idle

Enjoy

11' Sierra 6.2 NHT
    14.46@91 Stock
    89' Mustang LSX
    10.35@130 pump gas LQ4

Knothead Racing

Good write-up

The LS1 water pump has a very wide pulley so belt alignment won't be much of an issue.

What LS1 engine did your water pump come from? It looks like it has the threads for a fan
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

i was thinking about doing the ls6 style manifold for a swap , but the only thing holding me back is a good thread on how to bypass or keep my stock egr system and airpump. I've never seen it done yet and i dont think it would be a smart idea to handle this on my own so if you know anything about doing such a swap id appreiciate your help thanks.
    LR4 4.8 vortec , cat-cutouts, TRUE DUALS,airaid intake, MAF summit, 80mm throttle body, edlebrock headers, PCM,lowerd C-notch,flex-a-lite e-fan,180 stat. best 1/8 mile 9.9 at 79 mph

What is it about our truck intakes, or I guess whats the difference in the LS6/LS1 intake setups that it allows to climb higher than our truck intakes?
    1951 3100
    1984 C10

In general, short runners are for higher rpm, which are normally installed on cars because they are lighter, and rev quicker. Long runners produce more torque on the lowend.
    There are obvious differences also, but that's one reason to install an LS6 intake.

Does this ls6 intake swap How-to thread go for the same way with the BBK SSI, and FAST intake manifold as well??

Quote Originally Posted by farmtruc View Post
    In general, short runners are for higher rpm, which are normally installed on cars because they are lighter, and rev quicker. Long runners produce more torque on the lowend.
    There are obvious differences also, but that's one reason to install an LS6 intake.
    What kind of numbers are we talking about as far as losing lowend torque when installed the LS6 intake? Are they that noticeable?
    1951 3100
    1984 C10

Where can I get the custom idler pulley relocation bracket?
    SOON TO COME!!!!

i installed a cam on my LQ4 and this is what i got from it it is a comp 218/224 114lsa this is my dyno my injector are at 190% so i need to get some 42# from nellson if you look it does not die off it keeps going up in power i let off at around 6K
    2006 1500HD Intake and HPtune,Cognito Steering kit, comp 218/224 cam
    1994 chevy P/U 1500 Sportside 330 H.O. Crate 4.11 Eaton posi. 150 Wet Nitrous Holly kit w/t external full cell
    E.T. 14.2@102mph on (20's)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ure200X600.gif
    1994 chevy
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...eoid=1435245725

2006 1500HD
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...eoid=1135635224

Can this be done on the 4.8?
    2012 F-250 XLT/FX4 RCLB 6.7 Powerstroke
    H&S XRT Pro Race(550hp/1100tq)/ 4" flopro exhaust/H&S EGT kit/SPE Full diff unlock/S&B CAI/H&S motorsports upcharge pipe kit/ DPF,CAT,EGR,UREA Deleted/Icon 3.5" Lift-Vs 2.0 shocks/PMF DSS w' Bilstein 5100s/Icon Adj Track Bar-upgraded steel bearing/RIGID LEDs/Kenwood DNX570HD w/idatalink maestro/Hertz5x7s/Memphis 12" slim/500.1 JL slash amp/Recon f250 led emblems

+ Reply to Thread