+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Billet Servo Installation

Billet Servo Installation

Billet Servo installation

Here's a little information for those wanting to know what a servo installation looks like and details. This is a full 1-2 and 4th billet servo kit from 4l60-e.com aka transmissioncenter.net . I believe these are Fairbanks/Superior brand servos similar to these minus the small blue spring.

Installation instructions, turn your monitor on its side, don't hurt your neck or look like a doofus trying to tilt your head 90 degrees.

Below are Superior brand products similar to those in the installation.
    1-2
    Superior Transmission Parts' 700-R4/4L60-E Super Servo*
    4th apply and cover
    Superior's 4L60/4L60-E Super Servo
    or go here... 4L60E Performance Transmissions from PATC and look at part #1 and #3X (the image on the right)

One note, the outermost piece that fits into the cap has a seal that looks like a wiper seal. The edges of the seal should point outwards of the transmission making it where you have to work a little bit to get it to fit in the cap.

Servo assembly...

Remove servo cover by pressing inwards with your palm, take a small screwdriver and remove the retainer snap ring.

The servo assembly will not just fall out, you have to pull the o-ring out. Often you can just pull it will a screwdriver, stretching it out, and the cover will pop out.

Remove the cover

Here you'll notice that a billet servo is already installed, revealing the piece that fits into the cover

Here is the complete assembly fresh out of the transmission...

Here are the only two pieces that go between the servo assembly and the transmission case. The spring goes in first and the large diameter thin washer goes against the inner-most billet servo piece.

This is all the pieces between the circlips...

and here is another view

parts laid out in order of assembly...

How the cap and outer most piece assemble together...

A couple videos...
    Parts in order of assembly...

Assembling the servo...
    Last edited by RedHeartbeat; 10-19-2008 at 05:48 PM.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

ff_jeff Guest
    You rock Greg!!! Sticky this thang.
    Tomorrow, I will take the servos out. I have an extra o ring for the cover, so should be ok. You think the pin length and backlash could be off?
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHeartbeat View Post
    One note, the outermost piece that fits into the cap has a seal that looks like a wiper seal. The edges of the seal should point outwards of the transmission making it where you have to work a little bit to get it to fit in the cap.
    Maybe we put this on wrong.
    Last edited by ff_jeff; 10-19-2008 at 11:07 AM.

not really but it could. You could also have the seal in the 4th piston installed backwards allowing fluid pressure to blow by.

All this and no phone calls.

I'm glad I could help.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

I doubt the pin length is off. Does the kit come with a pin? If not and you reused your old one there is hard a chance the pin is wrong.

they come with a pin extension that you can add to it to take up slack on a worn out band, putting a band-aid on your elbow for a sore on your knee kind of thing.

hows teh 1-2 shift vs one with a vette servo?
    02 Chevy EcSb Z71, 5.3, Helix Tb Spacer, AEM Brute Froce Intake, Msd 8.5 wires, NGKTR55 IX, B&M 25k Trans Cooler, Hypertech 160, Nelson Tune, Nelson Harness & Ls1 fans, Fully Built tranny, tb2600, 216/224 551/551 115LSA, yeller z06 springs, magnaflow, cut-out, hi-flow cats, etc...

ff_jeff Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Faze2183 View Post
    hows teh 1-2 shift vs one with a vette servo?
    I know that My 1-2 shifts great!!! Dunno about the vette.

I put the 1-2 in last week. Now it shifts way to hard with normal driving, but I have my line pressures turned up. I'm getting the tune adjusted on wednesday so that will be fixed. You can tell the clamping force is much greater than with the normal servo. If this would have been up last week I would have saved 20 bucks... Oh well!
    2002 Silverado 5.3 Flex Fuel SCSB AEM BRUTE FORCE INTAKE, 160 THERMO, HOOKER LT'S, Y PIPE INTO DYNOMAX RACE BULLET, THUNDER RACING 220 .551 114 CAM, NEW 918'S, 7.4 COMP PUSHRODS, LS2 TIMING CHAIN, 3.42 GEARS, AUBURN LSD, CIRCLE D CONVERTER, ZEX 125 WET SHOT AND TUNED BY TIM AT REDLINE PERFORMANCE IN FESTUS, MO.

saved $20 how?

You really don't have to modify the shift pressures with the servos, they have somewhere near 35% more holding power than even the Corvette servos. Billet would be my only choice for high HP/TQ applications because the additional holding power will prevent the band from slipping.

well....we make shifted treys tranny back together, and now it has the billet servos and everything shifts like its supposed to!!!!

thanks greg!!
    ↓↓↓click pic to go to garage↓↓↓

408, WCCHL92s, nelson tune,4L80e 3600 Circle D,
    Intro Radicalli's

+ Reply to Thread