+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Billet Servo Installation

ff_jeff Guest
    Mines all better now. Backwards 4th apply o ring was the culprit. Greg deserves an award for this write up.

Post Product review

Just my 2 cents here. I personally used this servo up until about 4 years ago before working at FLT and it is a hard shifting piece. I have about 50 used ones laying at the shop if that tells you anything. In my opinion it only should be used in a full race application. The problem with this servo is it does not use the factory accumulation for 3rd gear (shifts hard) and also removes springs that cushion the downshifts. Basically when coming to a stop a coasting downshift clunk is felt. If you are going to use this servo make sure that you are using a reinforced Alto band because I saw this 2nd servo break many factory bands and some aftermarket ones to. Weather it snapped them in two, broke the anchor pin area(volcano) or just blew a hole in the apply area, a 2/4 band failure was found. I also saw the supplied "E" clip break and cause a no second gear condition. Sometimes when the clip breaks, it either damages the servo itself and in some cases even the transmission case is damaged making it unusable. If you are going to use these servos, I feel you should be aware of this. Personally I feel that the corvette servo is fine for most all applications when the trans is setup properly. Nice pictures of the servo assembly BTW. Vince

Quote Originally Posted by lanedrive View Post
    I put the 1-2 in last week. Now it shifts way to hard with normal driving, but I have my line pressures turned up. I'm getting the tune adjusted on wednesday so that will be fixed. You can tell the clamping force is much greater than with the normal servo. If this would have been up last week I would have saved 20 bucks... Oh well!
    I would wait a while longer before getting changes to the tune. The TAP can take upward of 4-6 weeks to adapt.

ff_jeff Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT View Post
    Just my 2 cents here. I personally used this servo up until about 4 years ago before working at FLT and it is a hard shifting piece. I have about 50 used ones laying at the shop if that tells you anything. In my opinion it only should be used in a full race application. The problem with this servo is it does not use the factory accumulation for 3rd gear (shifts hard) and also removes springs that cushion the downshifts. Basically when coming to a stop a coasting downshift clunk is felt. If you are going to use this servo make sure that you are using a reinforced Alto band because I saw this 2nd servo break many factory bands and some aftermarket ones to. Weather it snapped them in two, broke the anchor pin area(volcano) or just blew a hole in the apply area, a 2/4 band failure was found. I also saw the supplied "E" clip break and cause a no second gear condition. Sometimes when the clip breaks, it either damages the servo itself and in some cases even the transmission case is damaged making it unusable. If you are going to use these servos, I feel you should be aware of this. Personally I feel that the corvette servo is fine for most all applications when the trans is setup properly. Nice pictures of the servo assembly BTW. Vince
    Good advice. I plan on rebuilding the tranny, or having it rebuilt soon. so far it drives like it did before just cruising around. Only difference is when it shifts into OD, it is instant. No wait, kinda like a paddle shifted car. It doesnt jerk, or pop just a smooth instant shift. At WOT, it shifts harder and faster. 2-3 tries to break the tires loose. They chirp a little. 1-2 will make tires loose a little traction. Ill pay more attention to the down shift. I don't remember it clunking at all. But if it starts too, I will hurry up on rebuilding the tranny.
    Thanks Vince.

Nice work Greg.

Is an 80e a similar setup?
    Gone, but not forgotten!

Very nice writeup..We could have used this friday with Jeffs truck. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SCIV View Post
    Nice work Greg.

Is an 80e a similar setup?
    No servos for the 80e

Quote Originally Posted by DBRODS View Post
    Very nice writeup..We could have used this friday with Jeffs truck. LOL
    The troubles a couple guys were having with their install is what got me the idea to put this together. I'm glad it helped y'all out.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

Quote Originally Posted by RedHeartbeat View Post
    saved $20 how?

You really don't have to modify the shift pressures with the servos, they have somewhere near 35% more holding power than even the Corvette servos. Billet would be my only choice for high HP/TQ applications because the additional holding power will prevent the band from slipping.
    I paid $20 for labor to put it in. My line pressures where already turned up before the install of the servo. At the stock setting I'm sure its not that harsh of a shift, but the way mine is set it shifts to hard. I think it's all in the tune.
    2002 Silverado 5.3 Flex Fuel SCSB AEM BRUTE FORCE INTAKE, 160 THERMO, HOOKER LT'S, Y PIPE INTO DYNOMAX RACE BULLET, THUNDER RACING 220 .551 114 CAM, NEW 918'S, 7.4 COMP PUSHRODS, LS2 TIMING CHAIN, 3.42 GEARS, AUBURN LSD, CIRCLE D CONVERTER, ZEX 125 WET SHOT AND TUNED BY TIM AT REDLINE PERFORMANCE IN FESTUS, MO.

Yeah, get the tune turned back down to sane levels.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

+ Reply to Thread