+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Locked Radio Can't be Unlocked??

Locked Radio Can't be Unlocked??

I bought a radio from a guy on pt.net and installed it in my truck. I figured it would say that it was locked but when I took it to the dealer to have it unlocked they said that it couldn't be done. The radio came off of a 2005 and mine is a 2004 but they are exactly the same (CD & tape player). Anyone heard of this?

2004 Silverado Crew Cab, forged iron 5.7, STS w/MP turbo, 10+ psi, FMIC, Tial 50mm BOV, Vic Jr, Snow performance meth, MTI Stealth cam .220/.220 .581/.581 115lsa, Comp chromoly pushrods, Yank TT3000 stall, LS1 Efans, 160 tstat, Trucool 40k trans cooler, 60# injectors, Walbro fuel pump, Patriot springs, Built 4l65E w/billet input & output shafts, Eaton posi, SD tuned...all installed by Klein North Automotive

well you were right the dealer is the only one that can unlock them and it is possible but im not to sure about having the radio from a different year but i wouldnt think that would mater

Junkyard 5.3 milled heads 200 shot, built 4l80e with circle D 4000 multi disc converter
    EPS cam 23x/23x 600/603 112lsa
    KP 6 link bagged with Accuair E-Level
    http://www.nitrousexpress.com/

Many dealerships wont do it for security purposes (stolen stereos) I know when I needed to get the security code/radio remarried in my Saab I had to go to the dealer I originally purchased it from - no other dealers would do it for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ff_jeff View Post
    Ill grab some ditch to get a cat...
    03 Silverado ECSB - SOLD
    06 CCSB Duramax - 12 second tow pig

the dealer can unlock it, had it done for free.. or you can pay 5 bux and have it done here:Unlock a GM Delco radio from inop/loc mode

the dealer normally charges like 40 to 50 bux
    Simple: 408 on steroids!
    single digits coming soon!

Nope. All wrong. Starting in 2003 (for trucks, some cars are different) the radio is a Class2 device just like the PCM, BCM, or EBCM. They do not have the old theftlock system that is broken by holding 2 and 3 and calling GM for an unlock code. They have to have the stored VIN match the VIN in the BCM, etc. The only was to do that is SPS programming b the dealer (TIS2000) the same way a PCM is flashed. And no, usually different year model radios won't work. The newer the truck, the less likely it can be made to work. Remember, there are at least 5 different option levels each year plus the fact each option might have 6-8 radio part number changes in one year model. Add in the fact software changes as well then you probably have a useless "new" radio.

What was the reason to buy a different year radio? Is there something that we might be able to fix another way?

Quote Originally Posted by GasGuzzler View Post
    Nope. All wrong. Starting in 2003 (for trucks, some cars are different) the radio is a Class2 device just like the PCM, BCM, or EBCM. They do not have the old theftlock system that is broken by holding 2 and 3 and calling GM for an unlock code. They have to have the stored VIN match the VIN in the BCM, etc. The only was to do that is SPS programming b the dealer (TIS2000) the same way a PCM is flashed. And no, usually different year model radios won't work. The newer the truck, the less likely it can be made to work. Remember, there are at least 5 different option levels each year plus the fact each option might have 6-8 radio part number changes in one year model. Add in the fact software changes as well then you probably have a useless "new" radio.

What was the reason to buy a different year radio? Is there something that we might be able to fix another way?

thanks bro, just read more into it and youre right, thanks for the correction, so what about the link i posted ? can they not help? if needed
    Simple: 408 on steroids!
    single digits coming soon!

I didn't look at the link because I ASSumed it was about the old theftlock dudes.

In the end, it's unlikely a different year radio will work. If it will, it would take someone like me with the equipment and care to try it. But it would need GM Dealer SPS programming for this year model.

The CD player quit working for the second time. I had it fixed once while under warranty and now I figured I would just buy one from some one who didn't need it anymore. He's cool about taking it back since it wont work but I had never heard that different year models=different part numbers=won't work. Both dealerships I've talked to have said the same thing. Guzz you are right, the hold 2 & 3 or 1 & 4 does not work on RDS radios. They can't even use a Tech II to reprogram if the years don't match.

2004 Silverado Crew Cab, forged iron 5.7, STS w/MP turbo, 10+ psi, FMIC, Tial 50mm BOV, Vic Jr, Snow performance meth, MTI Stealth cam .220/.220 .581/.581 115lsa, Comp chromoly pushrods, Yank TT3000 stall, LS1 Efans, 160 tstat, Trucool 40k trans cooler, 60# injectors, Walbro fuel pump, Patriot springs, Built 4l65E w/billet input & output shafts, Eaton posi, SD tuned...all installed by Klein North Automotive

Give me the part number on yours and I'll see if the one I have matches. If so, I could send it to you and you could pull the CD mech out and see if it works. It might not since the truck it was in was hit by lightening but it might be alright.

Did you change your username?

Give me the part number on yours and I'll see if the one I have matches. If so, I could send it to you and you could pull the CD mech out and see if it works. It might not since the truck it was in was hit by lightening but it might be alright.

Did you change your username?
    I'll get the p/n when I get home today. My username?? Not sure what you mean.

+ Reply to Thread